5.56 vs .223

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    I am a newbe to this caliber. Is there a difference when it comes to loading this round between the 5.56 and .223?

What is a good cheap bullet to use. Montana Gold has a case of 3500 for $239.

Anybody willing to post some recipes that will work in an AR consistantly? this will be used just for plinking to start.

From my calculations, using free range brass and Montana Gold bullets, I should be able to load 1000 rounds of .223 for about $161.

Brass - free
    Bullets - $239 / 3500 bullets
    Powder - $18/lb
    primers - $29/1000

I know I could probably do better on the price if I really looked around.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    556cham.gif

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Waggenspack is were I get all my powder from.

It is just that all I have never loaded is straight walled 9mm, 40, 45 pitol cases. Rifle rounds are new to me. I have all the reloading data at home and on the powder makers homepages.

So is there a difference between 5.56 NATO and .233?

Last edited:

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Free brass = keeping an eye out at the ranges I shoot at. It may take a while to accumulate 1000 pieces, but it is possible. I also am willing to barter or trade. Example, I make my own smoked beef jerky that I sell to my fellow coworkers. I sometimes trade with them for an item of equal value to what I sell the jerky. I also have all the equipment to process wild game, including a large smoker, and I can make almost any kind of smoke sausage, salami or summer sausage. I trade my services and use of my equipment for a small portion of the finished product. I am willing to do the same for shooting products. You just have to be creative.

Donnie and Scooter - I will definitely be talking to you more as I progress in this. Can you PM your phone numbers so that I may call you with questions or maybe go watch you do some reloading.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Todd,

I assume that you are loading ball for plinking/casual shooting. If so, you should try H335. It really works well with light bullets (40 - 60 gr). If you load heavier bullets, Reloader 15 and Varget are good, but Varget is a bit on the dirty side. If you need any advice PM me.

Word of caution, be careful picking up range brass. It isn't too bad if you pick up once fired. However, picking up brass that has been previously reloaded can be dangerous. For instance, I only leave brass at the range when I deem it not safe to be loaded again. I am sure others do the same.

Dan

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Todd,

I assume that you are loading ball for plinking/casual shooting. If so, you should try H335. It really works well with light bullets (40 - 60 gr). If you load heavier bullets, Reloader 15 and Varget are good, but Varget is a bit on the dirty side. If you need any advice PM me.

Word of caution, be careful picking up range brass. It isn't too bad if you pick up once fired. However, picking up brass that has been previously reloaded can be dangerous. For instance, I only leave brass at the range when I deem it not safe to be loaded again. I am sure others do the same.

Dan

+1 on Dan's post.
    If you know for a fact that the rifle brass is once fired, I'd say go ahead and pick it up. Other than that I'd leave it.
    Pistol brass is different in my eyes, lower pressures, longer life.
    Yes, I am a brass whore.:D

Art

sawman

Coyote Warrior
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Kinder
    Find everything you want to know about the differences between 223 and 5.56 here. :D

Follow the links on the left side.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom