5 year permit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I assume you are refering to a CHP, if so there is no such thing as a 5 year permit in LA, unless you were looking at getting an out of State Florida permit that does allow for more years but will NOT be honored in LA pretty soon if you are a resident of this State.

Fees
    Original/First-Time Applicants:

Ages 21 - 64
    $50 for a two-year permit.
    $100 for a four-year permit.

65 Years of Age or Older
    $25 for a two-year permit.
    $50 for a four-year permit.

NOTE: If you have not continuously resided within the State of Louisiana for the 15 years immediately preceding the date on which your application is received, an additional $50 non-refundable fee shall be submitted. This is only for first-time applicants and is not required for any subsequent renewals.

Renewals:

Ages 21 - 64
    $50 for a two-year permit.
    $100 for a four-year permit.

65 Years of Age or Older
    $25 for a two-year permit.
    $50 for a four-year permit.

NOTE: For renewal applications the additional $50 non-refundable fee and the submission of a fingerprint card is not applicable.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Yeah- IIRC, that's one of the legislative changes this year.
    Mine will be a five-year next year...

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    Yes, effective 8/15, there will only be 5 year CHL permits. In fact, 2 and 4 year applications pending on 8/14 will be returned, not processed.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Yes, effective 8/15, there will only be 5 year CHL permits. In fact, 2 and 4 year applications pending on 8/14 will be returned, not processed.

Oh, please tell me this isn't accurate!!! I have been waiting for weeks to apply for my license and finally will have the opportunity on AUGUST 3! Now I hear that applications will be returned until after the 15th!?

Can anyone clarify?

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I just found out I will have to come up with ANOTHER $50! This time for a "Certified and True Copy" of my arrest for disorderly conduct in New London, CT back in 1977! That plus the class ($100 or so), the license, $125 and the $50 "not having lived here for the past 15 years" B.S. and this sucker is getting expensive! When you are as poor as we are, $275 is a TON of money!

<Rant>The reason the "not having lived here for the past 15 years" B.S. bothers me is that I have lived for all my life excepting the last 12 years and have always called Louisiana home and have been trying to return since the day I left so this kinda irks me a bit. </Rant>

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Herohog, I had to deal with the same thing from being in the Army. I was a resident and a registered voter here in LA the whole time but I lived in Germany and Ft Hood so I had to pay the extra $ to the State too.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Hey man, I agree, the 15 years 'tax' is BS.

That's a pretty large number.

I came here in late 2005 from Missouri, looking for work before the recession hit harder than it already was. I don't ever plan on moving away from Louisiana now... and I gotta stick it out for an extra $50. *grumble grumble*

At least it's for a good cause, but still... seems unfairly high of a time line.

--Yale

Wow, they even made you pay while being active duty? That's a crock of -crap- right there, man. Surely there should be an exception for military persons stationed outside Louisiana. Especially in the firearms community/legislation, they tend to consider the military. I'm surprised there's not an exception for that $50 for people who were out of State due to military duty, if that's the case.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    IMHO, the fee should be waived if a person lived out of state due to military obligations. That's ridiculous.

Do we not at the very least owe them that small courtesy??:confused:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    IMHO, the fee should be waived if a person lived out of state due to military obligations. That's ridiculous.

Do we not at the very least owe them that small courtesy??:confused:

Not according to the POTUS, he even said it's voluntary and their problem if they get shot, they knew it would be dangerous and should have their own insurance

I can't imagine he would have any respect for the military.....I really DO NOT like this obama guy.

All military: you have my complete respect and appreciation

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Not according to the POTUS, he even said it's voluntary and their problem if they get shot, they knew it would be dangerous and should have their own insurance

I can't imagine he would have any respect for the military.....I really DO NOT like this obama guy.

All military: you have my complete respect and appreciation

I applaud this statement and concur.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Herohog, I had to deal with the same thing from being in the Army. I was a resident and a registered voter here in LA the whole time but I lived in Germany and Ft Hood so I had to pay the extra $ to the State too.

You should not have had too. You could have listed your home of record instead of those other places since on active duty. When on active duty, for most legal reasons, such as various tax, voting, etc., your HOR is still legally considered your home.

kw4570gov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2009
    I think it is ridiculous that my FL CCW was not grandfathered, I am an LA resident sat through the same class and shot the same course as the guys getting the LA CCW and paid more money. Now I have to do it all over again and pay more money..........

Kent

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think it is ridiculous that my FL CCW was not grandfathered, I am an LA resident sat through the same class and shot the same course as the guys getting the LA CCW and paid more money. Now I have to do it all over again and pay more money..........

Kent

Why did you get the Florida permit in the first place?

kw4570gov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2009
    I got the FL permit because at the time LA and ARK did not have reciprocity and the FL permit was for a longer period of time.

Kent

Top Bottom