Streamline calibers...again!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Because of budget constraints and a $20,000 deficit in income,I am forced to streamline my calibers once again. Currently I own 9mm,38spl,22lr and 12ga. I am thinking about dropping a handgun caliber. Either 9mm or 38spl. I prefer shooting .38 but I like the affordability of 9mm. Most folks would tell me to stick with 9mm but I am a revo nut as well. What would ya'll do? The 9mm IMO is a good all around caliber and would make perfect sense to keep it over the .38 but I'm stuck. I know .38 ammo cost more and is somewhat underpowered to the 9mm but it's a nostalgic and accuracy thing,I guess. Actually,I should just sell my only 12 gauge shotgun since I never shoot the damned thing. But,that''s another story.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Id say drop the .38 and if you have NO use for the 12 drop that 2 ONLY because of the budget, eventhough its a great home defense weapon its just not a caliber I usually stock pile and a few boxes are more than enough for me but like you I very seldom take her out to play.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Drop the .38. While it's a great round and accurate as hell coming out of 4 and 6" revolvers, the 9mm is a very reliable, accurate, easy to get and stock pile round, and with today's ammunition a very good defensive choice. I would also base your choice highly on which guns you have in each category. If you have a hi-point 9mm, and then you have a gp100, smith 66, and taurus tracker, I would stick with the .38/,357, and vice versa.. just my two cents.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Why don't you just shoot less of the .38? Keep a few boxes of HP around and shoot everything else....

In the event that you have no bullets left, you could use the revolvers as a club...

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Taurus 905 in your future?

Taurus905-Open.jpg

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    If/when TSHTF, 9mm will prolly be easier to procure. In the meantime, it's cheaper to shoot and maybe a better defensive gun due to capacity / reloading issues. And I'll help you dispose of all those S&W, Colt and Ruger wheel guns. Free. That's just how I roll, dawg.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    If/when TSHTF, 9mm will prolly be easier to procure. In the meantime, it's cheaper to shoot and maybe a better defensive gun due to capacity / reloading issues. And I'll help you dispose of all those S&W, Colt and Ruger wheel guns. Free. That's just how I roll, dawg.

Nice try Ed. :D
    Actually all those nice revos are gone. Will start up another collection in the near future when I'm back on my feet again. For now,I'm sticking with 9mm. I have an XD9 and a 38 snubby and my P22...that's it. Oh yeah,my shotty too.

No probs with 9. They work and thry're cheaper,and If I find myself somewhere on this planet other than USA,I can still find ammo for the real SHTF.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just don't purchase any more of what u choose to drop. Your financials may change for the better shortly. I'd set a target time/date for that financial change. If it does not improve by then you could sell off what you "cannot afford".

Some people never sell. I do. I collect books. Knowledge is "everything" and they are heavy and require attention if you wish them to last. Weapons are a hobby; I don't HAVE TO HAVE what I WANT.

Do some soul searching, establish a plan and execute it. I always make lists of having 1 to 3 less than I have - until there is but one. If u force yourself thru this exercise enough times it will be obvious.

Good 'luck' - though u will not require it.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Cujo, probably not the right time to suggest this as you started the thread about your debt load but...consider as you rebuild in investing in a starter kit for reloading. Will drop the price per round an astounding amount and even simple press' can crank out a lot of reloads when you get your technique refined. The price of the "essentials" will be less than the cost of a Taurus .38, and every load you make, you save over "store bought". Just a thought but this has helped me stay shooting through some rough times in the past.

Good luck in your "streamlining", have been there before, it sucks, but the Earth does turn and you're making progress we hope in getting back on your feet.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Cujo, probably not the right time to suggest this as you started the thread about your debt load but...consider as you rebuild in investing in a starter kit for reloading. Will drop the price per round an astounding amount and even simple press' can crank out a lot of reloads when you get your technique refined. The price of the "essentials" will be less than the cost of a Taurus .38, and every load you make, you save over "store bought". Just a thought but this has helped me stay shooting through some rough times in the past.

Good luck in your "streamlining", have been there before, it sucks, but the Earth does turn and you're making progress we hope in getting back on your feet.

Seriously considering re-loading.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom