65 bucks!! What?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dono

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Walker
    Dawson Precision knows how to do business. I call them just now. The asked witch sight and where do you want me to mail it.

Heberts missed a perfect op to not only take care of me a customer, but also make some money.

I also am a business owner, that's the part that pisses me off. I would never do business this way!

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've bought many guns at Hebert until.... Seriously do a search on Hebert Guns for this website. I personally have experienced his dishonesty. As long as you give him money they'll be nice. Just don't have any problems. The thread I started about this had over 4K hits.

Dave

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I've bought many guns at Hebert until.... Seriously do a search on Hebert Guns for this website. I personally have experienced his dishonesty. As long as you give him money they'll be nice. Just don't have any problems. The thread I started about this had over 4K hits.

Dave

Real world experience trumps theorhetical every time! If owned a firearms dealership, I damn sure would be checking out what you guys were talking about, member or not.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Hey Heberts!

middle-finger.jpg

Last edited:

Dono

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Walker
    I hate it's this way...I get better service from the big stores.

I have recently done business with Louqes Firearms, now he knows how to treat a customer.
    He read this thread and called me to check on me.

I will use a mom and pop everytime if I can.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    That sucks! You did call Mr. Hebert and discuss your concerns I hope? Maybe an informal e-mail?

Point being, and maybe it's just me, if one of my employees does something stupid and dissappointing to our customers, and it is not of my expressed policy or direction. I want to know! No matter how much it hurts to hear. When you employ you open yourself, your reputation, your business to that many more possiblities of let down at the hands of others. And no mattter how much you train, how much you motivate, and even how much you compensate, those employees may not always hold your business in high ragard as you.

My guys aren't MENSA, so I am constantly wondering?!?

I did not call or e-mail. What's the point? I'm sure he would deny it.

Dono

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Walker
    I didn't call also.

I'm prolly like most on here...I just said okay thanks anyway!

I shouldn't be the one policing his business.

firemanwade

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Think about this for a minute. What if your boss came to you and said "Bob, I want to fix a problem created by Joe and if you cant fix it you will not get paid for your time looking at said problem"??

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You know, I must be having a senior moment here... because I cannot determine, from your several posts in this thread (not just the one quoted) whether you are commiserating with the nay-sayers here or are calling them all liars in a back-handed manner.

Matters not to me, but you have been here long enough to know that most BS posts on this board are smoked out fairly quickly. Like Dave said, his thread had a ton of responses, and many of those were "Me, too!" posts. I too have been on the receiving end of the man's brand of horseshit and prevarication. He is not an honest man. You say you haven't been burned yet; consider yourself fortunate, and continue to trade with him if you choose. Many here elect not to darken his doorway anymore... with good reason.

Believe all of that, or not, at your discretion. Those who know... don't care. ;)

What I meant precisely is, if I were a dealer in guns, ie Hebert Guns, Jims Firearms, Academy, etc., I would, and I reiterate, would be on this forum seeing what was being said about my business. If I did own such business, and I saw this many negative posts about it, I would, if I were worth my business weight any anything, want to understand why.

If I were a bad business man, or a thief; obviously I wouldn't care what was said about me.

I am a businessman. If I could mine a forum that would give me insight into what real customers thought was a problem in MY business, I would listen and learn; and fix!

If you say the man is a cheat I am compelled to believe you. I cannot refute that. I think Obama is a disgrace, but Pookie and BrBrett will defend him till death?
    It's all opinions, or real world if one could really prove it.

If you read my post carefully, without predjudice, I think you would agree that I am not cheerleading for anyone, just saying as a businessman, those with issues should tell the owner of the unfortunate experiences. Renegade had a problem and gave up. He said, "whats the point, he'd proabably deny it!" If Mr. Hebert got a legitimate complaint, and told his customer to kiss his ass, then he is a fool and a businessman that won't last long in business. But he should hear about it at least once.

Never a backhanded comment here sir! If I say it, I mean it; unless it's for comedic value.

I hope that clears the air.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    I'm really not sure what the problem here is.

You expect them to spend time, effort, and billable labor and... not have to pay for it? Even if they can't fix it, whatever it is, there are expenses in diagnostic. There really ain't many mechanics left that'll diagnose your car troubles without charging you for that much.

Good luck trying to find that free lunch.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    The point is... the smith was out. It probably wouldn't take him 5 seconds to determine whether he could fix it or not. You shouldnt' have to pay to leave your gun with someone just so they can tell you it can't be fixed, especially if you're a loyal customer.

If that practice was acceptable... what would stop them from taking every gun that's brought to them.. holding onto it for a few days (without even looking at it), then handing it back saying, "Oh we can't fix it, but by the way you owe us $65."

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I took my PPK/S in to Jim's, where I bought it, as it was falling apart. I suggested it needed to be returned to S&W for warrantee work. They were happy to send it back no charge to me.

The sort of service the OP was b**ching about is the same as has been recorded by several people here on the list. That store has a crappy, well-deserved rep on this list and this sort of thing just confirms it.
    :squint:

Athensgunsmith

Athensgunsmith
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2008
    Athens, LA
    This post seems to have generated more than a few comments. It is interesting that they fall into two catagories the do it yourself let's get it done as cheap as possible (right or wrong) and the business owner that understands that if he does not make money he does not exsist. I don't know Heberts, I live in the bastard part of the state aka North Louisiana, but as a gunsmith if I looked at every gun someone wants me to look at to see what is wrong with it without charging a minimum fee which by the way is $35.00 then I may as well close up. I would spend a great many unpaid hours being a good guy and everybodies friend up to the day I went out of business. Just because I looked at a gun and determined what was wrong and/or if I can fix it does't necessarily mean that I give a discount to fix it ie apply the $35.00 to the fix maybe I do maybe I don't depends on the situation. What you guts don't seem to get is that as a business owner that possess technical knowledge, education, and skills beyond your drop in parts thought process I should get compensated for the investment that I have made in equipment, experience, and continuing education. Heres the big question exactly how much will you guys allow me to make an hour? $35.00 enough that is $72,000.00 a year without vacation time, without tool cost, cont. ed costs, insurance, building, tooling, expendables, advertising, taxes, licenses, ATF, and assorted BS. Really how much does that leave to feed the family and keep the lights on. Maybe the problem is that we just don't need gunsmiths just send the gun back to the manufacturer and get there parts replacers to replace parts. I don't get it you tell me do I get to make a living at being a gunsmith, or just leave it and close you guys are fine with replacing parts???

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I think the original poster was upset because, he's been a loyal customer so far, and bought 7 guns from Hebert's. I don't think they would go out of business if they let that fee slide for a loyal customer, and he would probably end up going back to buy more guns from them. Now, he won't, and neither will a lot of other people that visit this forum.

Still, it couldn't hurt to bring it up with the owner.

Last edited:

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    The best incentive a local store can offer is warm personal interaction; The Internets and Big Box Store's best incentive is a low price. If Hebert's can't provide service with a smile and keep the customer happy then Hebert's can not compete.

Top Bottom