7.62x39 vs 300 blackout upper for AR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goatman

Gone hunting or fishing!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    There is not much of a difference price wise for the upper. However the price difference is in the ammo.

I been told both would be a nice choice, but I do plan on shooting the gun alot and even doing some hunting with it. So what do yall think?

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    Both are good rounds, but the 300 blk was designed for the AR platform. Ballistically the 2 are fairly similar. My experience with each has been decent but my 762x39 is not as reliable. Have had a few FTEs over the last year. The price difference is primarily for steel cased Russian ammo which, in general is considered not good for an AR. Brass 762x39 runs .50-$1.00 and isn't always easy to find. Plus hunting ammo for it can be tough to locate at times. 300blk has gotten pretty main stream. I get plinking ammo for about $.6 a round and reload it for about $.2ish. Plus u can readily get super and subsonic 300blk ammo which is great if you have a suppressor. The shooting forums are full of comparisons between the two.

I've built at least 6 300blk AR style rifles using various quality parts and have had exactly 0 issues with them. Only have 1 762x39 upper and it's from PSA, so my personal experience here is limited, but I have witnessed similar issues with 2 other uppers, for whatever that is worth.

Last edited:

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Read something the other day...the 300 Blackout was designed to deliver 3 things: suppressed; ballistics comparable to the 7.62x39; and work in AR15/556 magazines. The 300 Blackout does more including hitting the mark for a hunting load w/ the proper bullet. There are lots of posts regarding getting the 7.62x39 to work in AR15 magazine. If you're going to the range often and ammo is a cost is a consideration I might lean toward the 7.62x39 accepting that I will need to tinker with the magazines. All said the 300 Blackout is gaining a broader and broader market and the ammo prices are coming down accordingly. I vote for the 300 Blackout.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I vote for 300blk. I had a 7.62x39 upper in the past and didn't enjoy it much. Find the right mags that will work with your set up, reliability in general and overall feel (noticeably sharper recoil) made me sell the upper. If I wanna shoot cheap commie steel, I grab one of my ak's.

As far as 300blk. I like just about everything about it. Except for ammo price. I'm on my 4th 300blk upper, all of which were short barreled.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    if you are going to hunt with it, 300. The selection of hunting bullets is much better.

subsonic rounds are a little spendy unless you shop around.

147 gr super range ammo can be had for 12-14 per 20 usually.

i agree that if you want to rip through tons of ammo at the range, an AK and russian steel ammo is the way to go as far as cost.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I'd go with the .300 AAC over 7.62x39 for the AR platform. In fact, that is exactly what I did. :D

Now, I am considering getting out of the AK market all together. Maybe I'll keep one, but the others will more than likely be sold soon.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    No one is gonna mention the fact that when you recut a bolt to hold a x39 the locking lugs break and its a common problem? Granted its much better than it was years ago but it still happens pretty regularly. I have already had two this year to repair for people where teeth were breaking off.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Between the x39 and the x35 (blackout) my very green (to ar variants) opinion is blackout. I like the idea of a 230 grain subsonic. Suppressed or not for a doorstop. Compared to the 556 or the 762x39 or even blackout in super sonic, I think I know which round I would rather for that "bump in the night". Then if you already have the previously mentioned standard 556 parts (except for the barrel obiously) you can swap a barrel buy some ammo and you got a "new gun".

I know people are hunting deer and hogs with the blackout but I been slinging 180 grain 30-06 hammers at deer and I've grown accustomed to watching my prey fall over. I'm not saying a properly placed shoot couldn't I just saying I like my odds that ole 30-06.

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    Maybe I'm the only person who has shot thousands of rounds from a x39 upper but I will take one every day of the week over the expensive and "fashionable" 300blk. If you run ASC mags, get an enhanced firing pin from Model1Sales, and run a Wolff extra power hammer spring in your lower you can shoot all the cheap steel cased ammo you want and it will go bang every time. They make bolts for the round and I have never had an issue. Also, if you run a free floated barrel and a light trigger I have gotten sub-MOA accuracy running a 3-9 Leupold and steel case ammo.

If someone gave me a 300BLK setup I would sell it to someone who wanted to be cool and buy a x39 upper and a bunch of ammo. BTW, if you want to hunt you can shoot 7.62x39 154gr soft point ammo and tear up a hog.

bowhogger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    Louisiana
    I was debating the same. Finally decided on 300BLK. I will use mine primarily for hunting and plinking. After reading some of the other post, I think I'll just get an AK to shoot x39 steel.

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    I chose 300 blackout as well. I plan to suppress it soon, so that was one of the deciding factors for me. Plus the ballistics in a SBR/pistol configuration are pretty similar to a 16" rifle.

I reload too, so bullet costs are less of a factor for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    the koolaid is strong with you guys

I could easily see the surplus ammo being a big plus. Once you have bought good parts (hopefully buying once here) the ammo would save you money over the blackout rounds if you shoot a lot.

Personally when I finally put a blackout together it wont be for killing paper or medium-large size game, and I will keep 556 upper handy to scratch my itchy trigger finger.
    Mine will just be an up close and personal show stopper. Ammo prices wont be a big deal to me. I have paid $20 for 20 or 25 40 s&w and 9mm rounds, so $20 blackouts are not such a big deal, and for the guys who want to hunt with a blackout my Hornady sst 30-06 rounds are pretty expensive ($45 if memory serves me), so... its all relative.

Again these are the rambling of an AR amature.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans

I don't think I'm drinking the koolaid. I've actually had both, and prefer the 300blk in the AR platform. And I also like my x39 AK. Yes, there are a few "reliable" x39 AR's but there are ton's more reliable x35's. Also the x39 didn't get along with my shoulder, and with my 9 inch barrel had a huge flash. Call it koolaid, I call it actual preference.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA

The only thing you have over 300 blk is cost, yet you lack the versatility of 110-240gr ammo.

Specific firing pin you say
    Specific mags
    Specific Bolt
    Adjusting hammer springs for large military primers
    All that extra stuff just to say you shoot cheap ammo

Glad to see you are among other narrow minded forum jockeys, who when someone disagrees drops the "Koolaid" line.

Last edited:

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    A 240gr bullet won't penetrate at low velocities like you would get from this platform. I have no use for a 110gr or a 240 grain bullet. 122-154 has worked just fine for me. You call me narrow minded yet a $5 hammer spring and a $20 firing pin allow me to shoot ammo for less than $.30/rd and you would rather follow the crowd and spend more than twice that. I am looking for reliability, economic pricing, accuracy, and penetration. I have no desire to run it suppressed because a suppressed 300blk has diminished performance and runs closer to a 45acp than a 7.62x39. I would run my x39 rifles up against any 300blk for accuracy, relaibility, and price every day.

It's not narrow minded...it's experience. Actual first hand experience firing thousands of rounds from multiple rifles. The kind of experience that costs a fortune if you're shooting something as cool and ridiculous as 300blk. I forgot to mention earlier, I've been reliably running these platforms since before the 300blk was developed and available for sale.

Last edited:

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    A 240gr bullet won't penetrate at low velocities like you would get from this platform. I have no use for a 110gr or a 240 grain bullet. 122-154 has worked just fine for me. You call me narrow minded yet a $5 hammer spring and a $20 firing pin allow me to shoot ammo for less than $.30/rd and you would rather follow the crowd and spend more than twice that. I am looking for reliability, economic pricing, accuracy, and penetration. I have no desire to run it suppressed because a suppressed 300blk has diminished performance and runs closer to a 45acp than a 7.62x39. I would run my x39 rifles up against any 300blk for accuracy, relaibility, and price every day.

It's not narrow minded...it's experience. Actual first hand experience firing thousands of rounds from multiple rifles. The kind of experience that costs a fortune if you're shooting something as cool and ridiculous as 300blk. I forgot to mention earlier, I've been reliably running these platforms since before the 300blk was developed and available for sale.

You should probably stick with the 7.62x39.....just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom