CETME/91 Clone vs M1A

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    They function pretty different. While not entirely an accurate analogy, the HK is more like the AK47 than the M1A. A bit more sophisticated though. I love both of 'em. I do like the sights on my HK and that's contrary to what lots of folks say. I also like the reliabilty. That said, I still favor my M1A's. Mainly due to the triggers. I have yet to find a nice HK trigger other than the PSG1 that didn't cost a left testicle. :eek3: And I just like the way the M1A feels. Just my $.02.
    Steve

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    They function pretty different. While not entirely an accurate analogy, the HK is more like the AK47 than the M1A. A bit more sophisticated though. I love both of 'em. I do like the sights on my HK and that's contrary to what lots of folks say. I also like the reliabilty. That said, I still favor my M1A's. Mainly due to the triggers. I have yet to find a nice HK trigger other than the PSG1 that didn't cost a left testicle. :eek3: And I just like the way the M1A feels. Just my $.02.
    Steve
    He asked about the CETME. Not the actual HK(unless I'm missing something); which is a clone of CETME, and has many swappable parts with the HK.

http://classicarms.us/ have some CETME rifle for sale FYI (just scroll a little ways down the page).

:)

Last edited:

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    BTW, since I've never gotten a close look at a CETME, would you happen to know if they share the same type of sights? Also, does the CETME have the same barrel and chamber as the HK? I'm just curious, since my son is thinking about buying one.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I am pretty sure the CETME is the original, not a copy of an HK. German engineers went to Spain after the war and began to produce the CETME based upon some WWII designs that didn't make it into production. When Germany was once again allowed to produce arms, the engineers went back home and started HK. This is from memory so I may be off base so you may want to do a fact check.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I am pretty sure the CETME is the original, not a copy of an HK. German engineers went to Spain after the war and began to produce the CETME based upon some WWII designs that didn't make it into production. When Germany was once again allowed to produce arms, the engineers went back home and started HK. This is from memory so I may be off base so you may want to do a fact check.

Beat me to it!
    That's pretty much the story as I know it. The Hk91 is actually the "clone" of the CETME. The original CETME's, not the new Century crap ;) (Although, my Century CETME has been flawless and since it's ~6 yrs old it must be one of the good ones.)

And, no, the sights are not the same. The Hk uses the usual "turret" but the CETME uses a 3 blade "wheel" with different size apertures you can flip to.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    :doh:
    Did and little more digging and your right.

The HK91 was based on the CETME.
    HK bought the license to CETME and used to the schematic to build the HK91.
    The Hk91 is actually the "clone" of the CETME.
    I had the other way around all this time.:o

Thanks for correcting me.
    Edited my 1st post.

:)

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    If you really want to trace it back, the CETME is a direct descendant of the Sturmgewehr 44 and 45, the first true "assault rifles".:)

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    And, no, the sights are not the same. The Hk uses the usual "turret" but the CETME uses a 3 blade "wheel" with different size apertures you can flip to.

Thanks Dave. Would you happen to know if the chamber and barrel are alike? I hate what the HK does to brass when fired, but it just keeps on chuggin along. That fluted chamber really makes a mess of the brass though.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    so is this why the CETME will take the HK .308 mags?

but what about comparison of a CETME to an M1A?

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Thanks Dave. Would you happen to know if the chamber and barrel are alike? I hate what the HK does to brass when fired, but it just keeps on chuggin along. That fluted chamber really makes a mess of the brass though.

I'm not 100% sure. They are alike, fluted chamber and all, but I'm not sure is the same. There used to be a site that listed every compatible part, but it's down. My CETME does a number on the brass, too. But I shoot milsurp and it doesn't seem to deform the case in the flutes, just leaves a carbon imprint. My brass gets torn up getting violently thrown from the ejection port!

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    Nola,
    Just my opinion, but yes, unless you plan on longish range work. Like I said earlier, the trigger ain't that great though. For a battle rifle type I find it fine. Given the prices of CETME's today, I wouldn't hesitate. Mags are pretty cheap too, about 1/4 the price of the M1A. Good parts are easy to get and inexpensive to from what I've seen.
    Steve

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    I'm not 100% sure. They are alike, fluted chamber and all, but I'm not sure is the same. There used to be a site that listed every compatible part, but it's down. My CETME does a number on the brass, too. But I shoot milsurp and it doesn't seem to deform the case in the flutes, just leaves a carbon imprint. My brass gets torn up getting violently thrown from the ejection port!

Thanks Dave! Mine too. Every dang one of 'em has a pretty good dent in the side. Not good if you like to reload. I've also gone to mostly mil-surp for the HK. Thanks again.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    My CETME can put rounds in a ~2-3" grouping fairly consistently out at the max distance at the BZ. Not match grade, for sure, but last I checked, 2-3" is smaller than a human.;)

I'm just giddy when I think about how I paid $249 for mine a few years ago, and now they are going for $500 ++++:eek3::eek3: now.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom