7mm-08 PPU ammunition

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twentynine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ascension parish
    Anyone ever used this stuff on deer?

140 grain psp bt.

I recieved a weatherby vanguard 2 in 7mm-08 with 3-9x50 glass, as a gift from my wife. At my local ammo store choices of 7mm-08 were rather thin. PPU or Federal fusion, they had 3 - 4 boxes of the PPU, single box of federal, so I picked up the PPU.

Zeroed the scope with it, shot up a box. Seemed to function well, shoot straight, so I'm wondering what it will do going through a deer.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The 7-08 was my first deer rifle from 11 years old til 15. I killed many deer with it in the Felicianas where i grew up, as well as a few on a few family hunts in north LA and Midland Tx. I would call the caliber adequate for deer hunting but it's on the lower end of the deer rifle spectrum. Don't expect a lot of "shooting through" of any large deer. I'd put the optimal effective range out to about 150-200 yards, which is about as far as I ever killed any with it.
    As for the PPU ammo, Privi Partisan from Serbia is one of the best I've shot in the bargain category. I've purchased 5.56, 7.62x39, 9mm, .40 S&W and .270 Win and they have all functioned flawlessly and grouped tight enough for my standards, which aren't exactly low. I'd put them on par with Sellier&Bellot and Fiochi for sure. Clean burning and consistent. Shoot it with confidence.
    Side note, the 7.62x39 round nose soft tips feed great in my mini 30 and have become my choice of hunting round in that rifle over Winchester and Remington due to their accuracy and stopping power at range.

Last edited:

twentynine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ascension parish
    Thanks Magdump

Exactly the information I was looking for. Gives me confidence in shooting the PPU ammunition. If I do my job the gun and ammo will do its job.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    No need to limit yourself to 200yds. Shot placement is the key. If you know your rifle, scope, and ammo, 3 - 400 yds should be no problem.

sceeder

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    I bought a Savage mod 11/111 Light weight hunter. Weighed 5.5 lbs. I topped it with the Leupold VXII weighing in at just 8oz making my rifle 6lbs 3oz with the rings.
    I've only shot two big white tails with one shot kills. The bullet went clear through these two deer. Shot them right in front of the shoulder. I was using Hornady 139gr BTSP interlocks.
    I had real fine groups. At the range I did 3 shot groups you could cover with a quarter. I love the 7mm08. It's light and fun to shoot and deadly. Enjoy your rifle!

Top Bottom