99% Isopropyl Alcohol ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    I have seen this available on Amazon.com and on Google.

Is it possible to get 99% ?

Company I worked for had an in-house chemist, and he said to get to 100% pure alcohol required a chemical reaction/treatment - namely benzene and some other nasty stuff. Could not get that pure with mechanical/physical reactions alone.

I'm using 91% now to degrease after cleaning and before re-lubrication (mainly on rail/slides with grease)

Is anyone else using the 99% and if so, do you see any measurable difference in evaporation or de-greasing.

Thanks

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    I used to buy 99% by the gallon at grecos in Baton Rouge (big pet supply store that has since burned down) for the final wash on my black powder. The jug had a picture of a horse on it. You should try the vet supply houses or coop feed stores that cater to horse owners and see if you can find it local.
    I'd like to find a place to buy super strength ammonia to rid copper fouling

SigArmed1

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 21, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    My wife used to make and sell scented catalytic lamp fuel on the side as a hobby and I used to buy it by the drum from a local bulk chemical supplier. The prices got so high though, it just wasn't worth the trouble anymore so she stopped making it. When she started out a few years ago though, I was getting it for $.56/lb. Last drum I bought over a year ago it was going for about $1.35/lb. I think a drum was about 340 lbs if I recall. No telling what it costs now. 91% is probably fine for your stated purpose though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom