9mm 1911 build questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I figured someone here has gone through this before so i might as well ask.

Looking to assemble a 9mm 1911 in the commander length (4.25" barrel or very similar). Not for any other reason than I dont have a 9mm commander, not likely to be a carry gun, just a range toy and a project.

I have a commander frame, it is cut for a para/clark ramped barrel. Also have all of the frame parts. So basically I need a 9mm slide assy that will work with my frame. Frame is new and I can fit it to the slide if needed, I have done that operation a few times.

I need a slide, barrel, recoil assy, firing pin, ejector, extractor, any slide springs, sights, etc.

I have seen some mention of "narrow hood" for 9mm, i suppose that refers to the rear portion of the chamber. Not really seen ant info on this when looking for 9mm slides, so perhaps it only referrs to one mfg?

Otherwise it appears that I will need the following:

9mm spec commander length slide (needs a 9mm breachface, and possibly the slide is dimensioned in some other way to be 9mm specific?)

9mm barrel, commander length with a para/clark cut ramp.

9mm firing pin, I see they are sold caliber specific so I suppose i need a 9mm?

some sort of ejector, possibly 9mm spec?

9mm recoil assy, or a std commander parts with a 9mm spec spring. I don't have to have a full length rod or anything fancy, unless it really helps reliability.

9mm extractor (pretty sure this is caliber specific)

Any help with sourcing decent parts would be greatly appreciated, and any info will also be helpful.

Thanks!

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    The last time I built a 1911 was in the late 80s. I ordered my parts out of Shotgun News, most of those vendors probably aren't around any longer. I'm thinking your best best would be one of the many 1911 forums

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I ordered my parts out of Shotgun News, most of those vendors probably aren't around any
    Boy I haven't heard that name in a long time! My dad ordered stuff from them and I remember looking at the paper flyers they sent you.

Sorry to the OP I can't help you there as I'm a 1911 newbie, but following this thread to gain some info. Good luck.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    The last time I built a 1911 was in the late 80s. I ordered my parts out of Shotgun News, most of those vendors probably aren't around any longer. I'm thinking your best best would be one of the many 1911 forums
    I was thing same thing they were online now or was.
    Have not checked in years, eBay and Gumbroker now.
    In 1978 i bought a Surpluss chorme lined barrel, OEM Colt Slide Site's bushing etc from Shotgun News to have a 45acp top end for my 1978 Colt Ace.
    Was thinking about it few days ago as had it in my hands.

sg1911

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 8, 2015
    Harrisonburg, La
    If you are looking for new parts you may also try fusion firearms for a slide as well as the part kit for it, I have not bought from them but have read good reviews. Caspian slides are another option as well as foster slides ( Caspian over run and or blemished parts). I have used foster parts with no complains. Thunder mountain also has 1911 parts . building a 1911 from parts is not cheap but a good learning experience. As mentioned in other post midway and brownells are good sources

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Many thanks for the info, I had a look at sarco and did not really see much that was usable, and the prices for the slides were a bit steep.

Fusion might be the best choice for a slide.

Thunder mountain has a decent selection of parts, thanks for the heads up on them.

There is a gunbroker seller , spectre supply, that seems to have the same barrels that dan wesson use in the vigil, ramped 9mm in commander length.

Top Bottom