A handgun should be a handgun, and a flashlight should be a flashlight

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flashlight - a unnecessary hazard ?

• Agree

Votes: 22 44.0%
    • Disagree

Votes: 21 42.0%
    • I love to sing-a, about the moon-a, and the June-a, and the spring-a

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I agree with you about the gun culture at NYPD but that just reinforces the point that the flashlight didn't cause this the Officer did. Equal Opportunity, poor training, cultural bias against firearms, and Admin that loots the training budget first and always all played a bigger role in this than the gizmo on the gun.

Cool. That makes a lot of sense.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Honest question here....Why was his finger on the trigger while turning on his light? Should your finger not go to the trigger untill you are ready to fire?

His finger shouldn't have been anywhere near his trigger whilst he was actuating the light. There is no reason to have your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire.

Dustin-R

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    The points made about LEARNING a piece of gear are valid. It has become entirely too common in our society for an idiot NOT to be held accountable for his/her actions or mistakes. "I didn't MEAN to do it!" has become a bleat that is actually listened to these days.To me, the above-described screw-ups with gun-mounted lights are no different from the soccer mom with a cell phone glued to her ear, and her head firmly up her ass, who causes a fatality crash through inattention.

I think the gun mounted light is a good tool to someone who is properly trained and proficiant in the correct uses of it , and a hazard if YOU are not capable of turning it on without firing a shot. If you screw up buy pulling the trigger while turning on your light own up to it you screwed up someone got hurt. Take responsibility for your actions. You just SHOT someone by trying to turn your light on.

To answer the question. It can be a hazard, but so can gasoline if not used properly.

Last edited:

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    The title of the thread, opinions in the article and the question posed are not opinions of my own.

I found it strange that a firearms "expert" would say that about weapon mounted lights, and thought it would make for a good point of discussion .

:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom