A Page From The Book Of Ritten

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Ritten was kind enough to share some pointers of his outstanding paint jobs awhile back. Here's some before and afters of my Savage/Springfield 187n .22LR, I figured she'd be the perfect canvas for my first attempt.

It's going to be my SHTF piece for "Red" squirrels :rofl:

Before:
    1871.jpg

1872.jpg

After:
    savagespringfield1.jpg

savagespringfield2.jpg

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Why does it look tan on one side and green on the other ??????? I like that effect and think I will use it soon for my new 5.45 upper

What mesh fabric did you use ?????? I've read that the dirty clothes bags they sell at walmart work pretty good but I have never tried it myself

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I think it was more a matter of the light. I used all Krylon Camo Paint. I used the beige as a base on the stock and added green and brown streaks. I finished with the laundry bag doubled up with a layer of beige. The barrel and receiver were the exact same process but I used black as the base. All of the paint was extra dull.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    :thumbsup: I really like the way you've painted some of the smaller parts flat black. I think it really makes it, and it looks a little more professionally done.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    To get what I got out of the folks who commented, I consider that a great compliment!!! I made a point of completely disassembling the thing and going about painting in bits and pieces so it wouldn't look like I "just went nuts." Considering it was made between 1964 - 1968, the folks @ RFC would have crucified me otherwise. To tell the truth, I haven't even shot thie thing yet...

Sinster, it isn't that hard, I'll help you if you want! :D

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    Cool!! I remember his (Ritten) thread and it's still on my radar. I'm still going around the living quarters looking for laundry bags with different size mesh patterns. :rofl:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    How did I miss this thread?? Awesome job!! It looks great. I'll be doing it again to some new rifles soon but using Duracoat for a base and Krylon for shading and camo.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Looks awesome. I'd love to play around with this type of thing, but my hands aren't steady, my technical know how is nonexistent, and my patience is easily worn thin when it comes to tedious manual tasks.

The shakier (is that a word?) your hands are, the better. If you can cut a piece of tape then you can spray a gun. And the spraying itself takes all of 20min. Trust me, I come from a long line of lazy bastards so "the easy way" is in my nature. My Grandfather was so lazy that he used to sit on the sofa and throw his dentures at the refrigerator when he got hungry.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    How did I miss this thread?? Awesome job!! It looks great. I'll be doing it again to some new rifles soon but using Duracoat for a base and Krylon for shading and camo.

Thanks! Check out the Marlin 25MN. I literally put her back together yesterday. I re-did the trigger, pillar-bedded it and shaved the front and rear sights. I'm Just waiting on my scope as the bow on top.

MarlinPainted.jpg
    [/IMG]

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Thanks! Check out the Marlin 25MN. I literally put her back together yesterday. I re-did the trigger, pillar-bedded it and shaved the front and rear sights. I'm Just waiting on my scope as the bow on top.

That's a few steps better than your last. Not too tacticool, not too aristocrat on safari. Wanna do a Howa .308 in a Bell & Carlson stock? :)

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    That's a few steps better than your last. Not too tacticool, not too aristocrat on safari. Wanna do a Howa .308 in a Bell & Carlson stock? :)

That sounds a little too expensive to experiment on :noes: But what the hell, it ain't my rifle I'd be screwing up :naughty:

If you're serious I'll let you see the Marlin and decide.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Updated:

Did a ton on work on the Springfield 187N including pillar bedding, floating the barrel and new guts. And of course she got a new paint job when I was done :D Below that is the Marlin 25MN with her new scope compliments of Company Man ;)

IMG_0844.jpg
    [/IMG]
    IMG_0843.jpg
    [/IMG]
    IMG_0847.jpg
    [/IMG]

Marlin 25MN
    IMG_0086.jpg
    [/IMG]
    IMG_0090.jpg
    [/IMG]
    IMG_0085.jpg