A question.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    I am wondering, what is a fair price to charge an adult child moving back in to your home that has a full time job. Last summer we bought a new home in our hometown for our retirement place. Not but a two bed one bath home and our oldest daughter that is turning 30 this summer has moved back home putting a crimp on us. We are living on a fixed income and already stretched to the max. She tends to forget where she is living and is disrespectful at times also. We try to help our kids when we can, but things get pushed to the limit. She works full time and just became permanent with her position at work and earns right at $12 per hour. She has been paying nothing since moving in, only helping out around the house. She was only temporary at her job until this past week. Water, gas, electric, and washing supplies have all gone up. I was told about 8 years ago to never let your kids move back in on you, I think she was right.:squint:
    Any recommendations?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Give her a paycheck or two first... then I'd say start at $500/mo. Its a bargain compared to normal rent and utilities, much less cable, internet, laundry, etc.
    As a matter of fact I'd sit her down and present it just that way. An apartment on main st is say $800, everything else adds up to another $500... but we'll cut you a deal if you want to stay here. Abide by our rules and we'll give you the discounted rate of $500.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Heck easy one here, I told my kids that if ever they wanted to move back that I would need a $10,000.00 deposit up front before day one.

Have never been bothered since with the dumb a$$ ideal of proflic sponging off 'Pop's'.

Tough love always works on any occasion with young'uns from the age of 3 to 85, Learn how to use it !!!

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My parents and I had this discussion. If I didn't have a full time job or something in the works when my lease ran out in BR, they wanted me to move home. No rent until I had a stable income, and then it was going to be $450/month. They didn't say anything about utilities at that point. I'd be in charge of my own groceries if I wasn't having dinner with them, and I'd cook 1-2 dinners a week, deal with the dogs, wash cars, mow the lawn, etc. help out around the house.

I wouldn't have a curfew, they'd respect my privacy (to an extent), but I'd still live under some of their "my house my rules" rules.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    She's making just under $2k before taxes, so take home is what?

I'd charge her a third.... Should come pretty close to $500

And make her buy Atleast some groceries too...

Still a deal, your still helping her, but she's not hurting you while you help.

Doesn't like it.... Come over for Easter dinner!!!

Texican

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2013
    Tx
    I would just say this and of course not knowing the details and not being in your shoes it is easy to throw out an idea.

I think only you can decide if rent is needed or appropriate depending on your exact situation and details.

Be thankful you have some time with her, as you don't know what the future holds in this old world. Maybe just some kindness and encouragement from you is what she really needs. Maybe something you do for her today, though it maybe difficult, may reach through the years and help her, someone else or maybe you in the end.

Hope the best for you and her.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Its a tough thing to deal with. And I think each and every situation is somewhat unique...Especially on the financial details.

With that said...I also think that for me...as soon as my gut starts telling me that I am being used....or being lied to....Then it is time for them to hit the road.

Good luck...and FWIW...I'll be praying for you. Do the same for me...because I'm in the same situation.

Last edited:

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    Review your expenses prior to her return home. Compare that amount against current expenses, put it I writing, and say, you pay this. I would also sit down and come up with living arrangements. Who cuts grass, who washes dishes, just general expectations. Attempting to iron things upfront, can possibly save you from migraines in the future.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Yeah it was funny, when talking about it she comes up with the deal about helping out working in the yard raking and etc. She said you base that on $25 and hour and I stopped her right there. wtf?:eek3: I told her she was crazy, no way when I could find plenty around here for a whole lot less.:squint: Even some that will work for beer...:rofl:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Yeah it was funny, when talking about it she comes up with the deal about helping out working in the yard raking and etc. She said you base that on $25 and hour and I stopped her right there. wtf?:eek3: I told her she was crazy, no way when I could find plenty around here for a whole lot less.:squint: Even some that will work for beer...:rofl:

More than double what she makes at her real job? She is crazy!

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Man that's a tough one.... Depending on the financial situation I would say you, mom, and daughter have a little Come to Jesus meeting and let her know the strain this is puttin on you. It could go 2 ways. Charge her no rent with the agreement that she does help with at least her share of the groceries and continues helping around the house AND she save her money like the frugalist of frugal people so she can move out quicker; or she pays the increase in expenses from when she moved in. Either way, good for y'all for helping her out. I know of severalpeople who when they turned 18 got a bill for the rent on their birthday.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    There should have been a plan for her to move out before she moved in.

Too late now, but your house, your rules.

The hardest place to practice patience and tolerance is within your own family.

Swampman1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    south La.
    Yep...cost to live there should have been discussed and agreed upon BEFORE she moved back in. Now you've lost a lot of leverage after the fact. Secondly, if money is that tight now, perhaps the "new home" you recently purchased was a little out of your ballpark to begin with. Be careful how you pursue this however, could have a lot more to lose than to gain. Her being disrespectful should not be tolerated-that I agree with you about. Good luck.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Charge enough, to leave the burning incentive that living at home is a drag,
    and should be temporary.

As a parent, and with a child that is a young ADULT.
    This can also be achieved by leaving rent low,
    but raising responsibilities like Law Care, Dishes, Laundry(for the Entire House or at least her own),
    Vehicle Cleaning, House Cleaning etc.

As the PARENT, you can enforce certain criteria that a Land Lord cannot.

louis488

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    New Orleans
    I know in the New Orleans area the cheapest apartment and a decent area is 600 a month and that dose not include electric phone cable or internet it is sad that she is not offering to pay any thing I would say to be fair she should pay one third of all house hold bills

Top Bottom