A very good friend of mine passed away...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I just got back from helping his sons load up his gun collection into a couple box trailers. (Bath tub overflowed, flooded part of the house, I'll be cleaning guns tomorrow)

They aren't un-knowledgeable, but they are not 'gun guys'

He was working on selling off his collection, but still has hundreds.

I've been told by his family (They consider me family) for years that I'll be in charge of helping them dispose of the collection.

So ya'll save your pennies!

Fair amount of hunting guns, WW2: M1's, M1 Carbines, 03's, Krags, 1850's springfields, Ariskas, Mosin Nagant or 2, S&W's, MANY 1911's....etc etc etc.

What I'm trying to wrap my mind around is the POUNDS AND POUNDS of brass, reloading components, parts, tools etc... I have NO IDEA how I'm going to see it put to good use. Uniforms dating back to the Spanish American war, Milsurp equipment, boxes, radios, Stars and stripes from 1944 (Just the one in the top of the BOX full.) All kinds of odd stuff (Example because it's late, im tired, but not ready to sleep yet) there are 2 ORIGINAL crates of 03 barrels, I disremember if there are 20, 25 or what per crate... many things like that...

-If anyone knows any museums, the kids want money for some, some they want properly appreciated...

I won't have any free time for the next few weeks!
    (I'll also be selling some of my stuff to be able to get some of his collection, no fire sale, they will give me all the time I need.)

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    D-Day museum perhaps in NOLA?

We were both renactors for the opening ceremony. They already have some and will get more.

There's more than they can take!

Gen Beauregard's Boots (Spanish American War) and some other items are in his collection, those will go to a smaller museum...
    (I'm not sure where it is, but it's in the NO area... near some Arsenal.... lost alot to Katrina...)

But there's SO MUCH...

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    D-Day museum perhaps in NOLA?

when we went for the white-glove weapons tour in the back room, the guy told us they already had so many weapons, they were only able to display a small fraction of what they had. he said they were grateful for all the donations but there just isn't enough room for all of it.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You might touch base with the Louisiana State Museum, especially if some of the items have connections to the state. Get some friends you trust to help sort and value the pieces if that hasn't been done already. Lots of ways to redistribute a collection. Just depends on what the family's goals and wishes are.

SamNavy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Belle Chasse, LA
    For the truly authentic and historical pieces, you might want to engage a pro. Even if you don't want to go the "auction house" route, there are guys out there who specialize in exactly the position you're in. As was said, general war memorabilia and collectibles aren't in short supply anywhere, so you're best bet is individual collectors for most of the stuff that doesn't have a name attached to it.

The modern stuff I'm you'll be able to offload here in no time at all if by offering a "good deal".

I've had one experience in dealing with a situation like this. The family is probably most concerned about "doing what the old man would have wanted"... which means his pieces got to people who will appreciate them like he did, whether that's sitting on a shelf being looked at for generations to come, or being taken out and shot and enjoyed.

As long as you personally can rest easy with the decisions you make regarding where/how his stuff is handled, it'll be all good with the family too.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    What about somethig at the USS Kidd museum?
    May not be Kidd related, but the war time peices would spark some interest.
    That's incredible.
    Sorry for your loss. RIP.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    The Jackson Barracks Military Museum (504) 278-8242 in New Orleans, and the Louisiana Maneuvers and Military Museum at Camp Beauregard in Pineville (318-641-5733), would be happy to hear from you. I know that the Jackson Barracks museum completely flooded during Katrina and lost many of their exhibits.

Here's an article on the museum rebuilding project:

http://www.nola.com/military/index.ssf/2011/11/new_orleans_volunteer_unit_res.html

I'd be interested in an '03A3 if you eventually have one for sale, been on my wish list for a long time.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    The Jackson Barracks Military Museum (504) 278-8242 in New Orleans, and the Louisiana Maneuvers and Military Museum at Camp Beauregard in Pineville (318-641-5733), would be happy to hear from you. I know that the Jackson Barracks museum completely flooded during Katrina and lost many of their exhibits.

Here's an article on the museum rebuilding project:

http://www.nola.com/military/index.ssf/2011/11/new_orleans_volunteer_unit_res.html

I'd be interested in an '03A3 if you eventually have one for sale, been on my wish list for a long time.

Jackson's barracks the one I was thinking of that will likely be the recipient of the Gen's boots and other things.

There are more than a few 03's left, an M1D, sniper 03, several springfields which are correct (he had over 70 and was putting parts where they should be for years,) some 1917's (both rifle and pistol) a rockola M1 carbine practically new...

Top Bottom