AAC M4-2000 Mount Swap

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • petingrass

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    I bought my first cans around 2011ish. An AAC M4-2000 and AAC Pilot 2. At the time they were well regarded, with innovative mounting systems and best in class features and baffle designs. Muzzle devices and mounting systems were specific to each manufacturer and sometimes model, locking consumers neatly into their ecosystem.

Fast forward to 2021...AAC is out of business after a buyout. No new parts are available, and repairs or replacements would be impossible. Used parts on the secondary market are selling for substantially more than they did new. Fortunately most of the industry continued to innovate as AAC was slowly grinding to a halt, and had largely settled on a fairly common set of thread pitches for everything from rifle muzzle devices to handgun pistons. Some of the new systems were backwards compatible with the legacy systems, but most were not. Users were faced with a choice. Buy all the parts you might ever need for your legacy suppressor, buy a new suppressor and use the old one as a paperweight, or have the old can retrofittted to accept a new attachment method.

After many years of making do with an expensive paperweight (only had one mount) I finally bit the bullet and had my cans worked on by ECCO Machine. I don't know why I waited so long.

Before: Looking pretty rough even though it was not excessively abused. The ratchet mechanism unique to AAC is an integral part of the can, meaning the only option is to use an AAC muzzle device. Off to ECCO it went.

20210512_055458.jpg20210512_055528.jpg20210512_055611.jpg

After: (I didn't take these after pictures right away after getting the can back, so there are a few scuffs on the finish here and there. It was perfect when I got it.)

And back it came with the old ratchet mount lopped off, the industry standard thread pattern affixed, and the can refinished. In the first picture you can see the weld line between the can and the new material added to install the mount. The new can is about the same length and weight as the old one, but feels lighter when installed on a rifle. I think this is mostly due to the reduced weight of the new muzzle device. The collar on the can can be swapped for any of a dozen or more options from various manufacturers. This particular one is made by Griffin Armament.

IMG_20220711_085516.jpgIMG_20220711_085700.jpgIMG_20220711_085708.jpg

twinin

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I have an old M4-2000 as well and was looking at ECCO Machine. They make some great products, and their work is highly regarded. Now AAC came back. As AdvancedLaser said they are selling 51t mounts new-no paying $200 for them used any more. I also have a STAMP mount.

Something else you should know, AAC has a legacy program that they will do the same thing ECCO did you for except they update the baffles too. So basically, HUB mount, new/less gassy baffles, and new paint. It does cost money, but your suppressor will now have a warranty with the new company if you have them do it.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I have an old M4-2000 as well and was looking at ECCO Machine. They make some great products, and their work is highly regarded. Now AAC came back. As AdvancedLaser said they are selling 51t mounts new-no paying $200 for them used any more. I also have a STAMP mount.

Something else you should know, AAC has a legacy program that they will do the same thing ECCO did you for except they update the baffles too. So basically, HUB mount, new/less gassy baffles, and new paint. It does cost money, but your suppressor will now have a warranty with the new company if you have them do it.
    I didnt know they did that. I have a couple of Mini 4's. Might send one back to do that.
    The other one is Serial number A00001, no way I am upgrading that one

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area

I had the work done on my can right before Covid, and I don't think AAC had made their comeback at that time. If they were back in business it flew under my radar. I sold all the mounts and the tool for significantly more than what I paid for them. If I knew they were offering a full refurbishment service, I might have chosen to have AAC to do the work instead.

Overall I'm glad I went with ECCO when I did. I also had them recore an old AAC Pilot 22 can, and they did a similarly excellent job with that.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I had the work done on my can right before Covid, and I don't think AAC had made their comeback at that time. If they were back in business it flew under my radar. I sold all the mounts and the tool for significantly more than what I paid for them. If I knew they were offering a full refurbishment service, I might have chosen to have AAC to do the work instead.

Overall I'm glad I went with ECCO when I did. I also had them recore an old AAC Pilot 22 can, and they did a similarly excellent job with that.
    You'll be good with ECCO-they do great work. I have a few of their adapters. I think ECCO is cheaper too. The M4-2000 is a tank, so you'll have nothing to worry about. It's just a little too gassy for today's standards.

AAC basically turns your M4-2000 into the new Ranger 5 (on the inside), which is a great suppressor and not very expensive.

salty sobchak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2024
    Georgia
    I bought my first cans around 2011ish. An AAC M4-2000 and AAC Pilot 2. At the time they were well regarded, with innovative mounting systems and best in class features and baffle designs. Muzzle devices and mounting systems were specific to each manufacturer and sometimes model, locking consumers neatly into their ecosystem.

Fast forward to 2021...AAC is out of business after a buyout. No new parts are available, and repairs or replacements would be impossible. Used parts on the secondary market are selling for substantially more than they did new. Fortunately most of the industry continued to innovate as AAC was slowly grinding to a halt, and had largely settled on a fairly common set of thread pitches for everything from rifle muzzle devices to handgun pistons. Some of the new systems were backwards compatible with the legacy systems, but most were not. Users were faced with a choice. Buy all the parts you might ever need for your legacy suppressor, buy a new suppressor and use the old one as a paperweight, or have the old can retrofittted to accept a new attachment method.

After many years of making do with an expensive paperweight (only had one mount) I finally bit the bullet and had my cans worked on by ECCO Machine. I don't know why I waited so long.

Before: Looking pretty rough even though it was not excessively abused. The ratchet mechanism unique to AAC is an integral part of the can, meaning the only option is to use an AAC muzzle device. Off to ECCO it went.

View attachment 169427View attachment 169429View attachment 169430

After: (I didn't take these after pictures right away after getting the can back, so there are a few scuffs on the finish here and there. It was perfect when I got it.)

And back it came with the old ratchet mount lopped off, the industry standard thread pattern affixed, and the can refinished. In the first picture you can see the weld line between the can and the new material added to install the mount. The new can is about the same length and weight as the old one, but feels lighter when installed on a rifle. I think this is mostly due to the reduced weight of the new muzzle device. The collar on the can can be swapped for any of a dozen or more options from various manufacturers. This particular one is made by Griffin Armament.

View attachment 169431View attachment 169432View attachment 169433
    I had them do mine and was extremely pleased

Top Bottom