Abolish the electoral college

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Alright let's see how this goes.
    For my American govt class I have been given the topic of,
    1. Why should the united states abolish the electoral college

I need logical and factual reasons why it should be abolished.
    Studies, evidence in elections, etc
    Only things that are factual not opinionated.

So far I have it causes a "depressed" voter turnout because each state is entitled to a specified number or electoral vote regardless of voter turnout
    It does not accurately reflect the national popular vote and this stems from the winner take all method if the electoral college.
    It reinforces a two party system and discourages third party candidates. This restricts choices available to the electorate.
    In regards to the winner take all this creates heavy campaign in major states or swing states rather than the small states.
    It can be argued this causes voters to cast their vote based off of how the candidate it portrayed in the media and not of the candidate them self.

This is all paraphrased of what I have typed already in my report but they do not have many non-biased sources out of there do I have hit a roadblock. I have my three required sources but have milked the information out of all of those.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    OOooohhh hard one. I am actually one for the electorial college system. Popular vote is nothing more than mob rule in my opinion. The electorial college system is a check and balance system. Not perfect by any means, but when you think about it, why should 51% of population located in one or two urban areas be able to accurately reflect 100% of communities in said state if the other 49% and 90 to 95% of communities believe differantly? I reckon it to the senate and house of representatives. One reflects population, the other a more balanced approach based off the entire state's beliefs, not just the 51% popular fad vote at the time.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    I did a little searching and it seems "usually" leftists support abolishing the electoral college....which school are you at?

goosecreeper

not newbie
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Metairie
    Vote along congressional districts I believe nebraska does this giving their electoral college votes to candidates based on how they did in congressional districts brings the election to a local level

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I think by doing away with the electoral college vote, it could be a surefire way of having more than a two party system.

It has out lived it's reason for being..

Last edited:

Kilroy13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2013
    Couldn't one argue that with the electoral college, a conservative,in let's say kommiefornia, sees no reason in voting because he knows the liberal will win the state. So if we went pure popular vote a greater voter turnout will ensue and everyone's vote ACTUALLY COUNTS.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Instead of abolishing it, lets modify it.

Each state gets a combination of two electoral votes based on the winner of the popular vote.

Each state gets one electoral vote per congressional district and that vote goes to the winner of that congressional district.

All voter funding is blind and goes into a pool. Any party that gets 5% of the total vote in the previous election qualifies for equal funding.

Let me repeat that. No more war chests. No more campaigning for dollars.

All of it goes into a pool.

Every dollar a PAC spends on ads for a given candidate must have tenfold donations to the pool.

While we're at it, each voter gets 10 votes. No more than three votes per candidate. All votes must be sued for any to count. This would almost abolish single issue voting.

If we're wishing for the stars here, lets go nuts.

One issue, one bill, one law. No riders. No 1800 page insane all-encompassing stupidity. No sneaking war funding into a school bill.

J-Dog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hammond
    Alright let's see how this goes.
    For my American govt class I have been given the topic of,
    1. Why should the united states abolish the electoral college

I need logical and factual reasons why it should be abolished.
    Studies, evidence in elections, etc
    Only things that are factual not opinionated.

So far I have it causes a "depressed" voter turnout because each state is entitled to a specified number or electoral vote regardless of voter turnout
    It does not accurately reflect the national popular vote and this stems from the winner take all method if the electoral college.
    It reinforces a two party system and discourages third party candidates. This restricts choices available to the electorate.
    In regards to the winner take all this creates heavy campaign in major states or swing states rather than the small states.
    It can be argued this causes voters to cast their vote based off of how the candidate it portrayed in the media and not of the candidate them self.

This is all paraphrased of what I have typed already in my report but they do not have many non-biased sources out of there do I have hit a roadblock. I have my three required sources but have milked the information out of all of those.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Follow the link, http://www.heritage.org search electoral college and I think you will find many good reasons to keep it.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Guys. I don't not support the electoral college. This is my assigned topic lol
    I have to give valid reasons even if I do not support the topic on why to Abolish it.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    Do data analysis on how the city centers control the outcome of state electoral ballots.

Done.

Of importance is the major states influence on the totals.
    Take Kalifornia.
    Candidate a wins the state by 5% vote yet loses how many electorial votes? 55? It does not accurately reflect voter data at all.

J-Dog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hammond
    Guys. I don't not support the electoral college. This is my assigned topic lol
    I have to give valid reasons even if I do not support the topic on why to Abolish it.

So take all the information presented and turn in a paper that explains that despite looking high and low you could find no real or compelling information to support abolishing the electoral college.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    So take all the information presented and turn in a paper that explains that despite looking high and low you could find no real or compelling information to support abolishing the electoral college.

+1. Sometimes, college professors are sneaky and want you to actually do some research and turn in a contrarian paper.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    +1. Sometimes, college professors are sneaky and want you to actually do some research and turn in a contrarian paper.

Not this guy. He made it very clear as to what he wanted and to stay on topic.
    This is to be turned in to the state.
    It is part of a "QEP"
    Quality Enhancement Program

I think I have enough to write a decent paper. It's only work 40 points. I don't have much at risk compared to some others.

Top Bottom