About to look at a used truck, input needed.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Going to go take a look at an '01 GMC Sierra today.

I've never been a Chevy man but it seems like all the used Chevy trucks I see are in the 200k+ mileage range and the Vortec V8 engines seem to have a reputation to be reliable past 100k miles. So that has to speak volumes for the power train. It's a single cab short bed with 5.3 V8 and auto with less than 92K miles on it. Was just curious if anyone had anything good or bad to say regarding their GM trucks in/around this year with that engine/transmission combination?

Thanks

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    I previously owned a '99 Reg. Cab Chevy 4X4 with the 5.3 V8 and it was a good truck.
    I did have a few problems when it was new that were covered under warranty, but it had no issues after that. I traded it for a new truck in '06, and at the time it had 90k on the odometer.
    The problems were a sticky throttle body (gas pedal was hard to press), power window motor resistors caused the windows to roll up slowly, and some issue with the ABS system (some type of motor/pump for the ABS). Other than that, absolutely no problems with motor or tranny.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I had an '01 Silverado with the same powertrain. The tranny went out atound 70k miles. Apparently it's common with that tranny. I have a rebuilt Jasper tranny installed and the guy I sold it to hasn't had any issues. Otherwise it was a great truck and I loved it. I strongly preferred it to the '08 Silverado I'm driving now.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Like A Rock

I have a 98 GMC Sierra which is my MAIN mode of transportation!
    It has the large Vortec Engine and is not a gas saver by any means however; not a problem one since I ought it with 43,000 miles over 10 years ago> Now approacing 124,000

Truck note What is a truck note! lol

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have an '02 Tahoe with I think the same drivetrain. It's 4X4, I pulled a boat a lot, and self-admittedly I don't take the best care of it, ie. oil changes. It's got 207,000 miles and going strong. Really drives well.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I had an '01 Silverado with the same powertrain. The tranny went out atound 70k miles. Apparently it's common with that tranny. I have a rebuilt Jasper tranny installed and the guy I sold it to hasn't had any issues. Otherwise it was a great truck and I loved it. I strongly preferred it to the '08 Silverado I'm driving now.

I bet you can still buy an '01 somewhere. :)

RobFMJ

Texan Transplant
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Houma, LA
    Sort of a threadjack, but since this seems to be a nice collection of GM knowledge... What was the last year GM put a stick shift in their light duty trucks?

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Sort of a threadjack, but since this seems to be a nice collection of GM knowledge... What was the last year GM put a stick shift in their light duty trucks?

My guess would be when they switched to the body style as the '01. The previous still had them because my first was a '98 with a 305 and a 5-speed. That thing hauled @$$ too!

On a side note they forgot to add transmission fluid at the factory/dealership. I put 70k miles before it started giving me trouble. That is the one vehicle I wish I never got rid of :wtc:

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs

You can get them through the 07 classic body style. The v6 and 4.8L are offered with the 5speed. The 5.3 is offered in auto only.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Oh well, I walked away from that deal. Asking price was $7999, was able to talk them down to $6900 + two new tires but the truck was pretty rough for my taste. Guess I'll save up some more money and watch for something newer and in better shape.

Top Bottom