adding a suppressor to a sass .308

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snoopygw73

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    mandeville/covington
    I have a dpms lrt sass .308 and I am wanting to add an aac or silencerco suppressor to it. My question is this, do I have to adjust the gas block or add an adjustable gas block for it to cycle correctly. Thanks.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Most factory .308 gas guns already shoot over-gassed. Putting a suppressor on it will just make it even more over gassed and give you more blow back. It should cycle just fine but will be hard on brass. Like Lafsnguy said, it would be beneficial for tuning but you can run without it.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Most factory .308 gas guns already shoot over-gassed. Putting a suppressor on it will just make it even more over gassed and give you more blow back. It should cycle just fine but will be hard on brass. Like Lafsnguy said, it would be beneficial for tuning but you can run without it.
    You are also going to catch it in your eye from all the gas escaping, heavier buffer will keep the action from jarring your teeth and turning the gas system down for me would almost be a must. You buy a suppressor to be quiet and more pleasant to shoot but then sacrificing annoying gas puffs on your face and harder buffer slamming just doesn't make sense. Do it right, do it once and tune the gun properly for the suppressor.

rv7pilot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    I have the same rifle and it functions but it does over gas. I haven't started to look for a solution yet but I'm about to start. I tried my Thunder Beast 30-P-1 that I bought for my my 300 win mag and it over gasses bad on hot loads on the LRTSASS. Doesn't seem to hurt anything though. Blew out a couple primers. Take the suppressor off, no problems. That maybe more to do with back pressure than gas but either way the difference is noticeable. Like lots more smoke and noise in your face.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    I have the same rifle and it functions but it does over gas. I haven't started to look for a solution yet but I'm about to start. I tried my Thunder Beast 30-P-1 that I bought for my my 300 win mag and it over gasses bad on hot loads on the LRTSASS. Doesn't seem to hurt anything though. Blew out a couple primers. Take the suppressor off, no problems. That maybe more to do with back pressure than gas but either way the difference is noticeable. Like lots more smoke and noise in your face.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.6_gs.php

Buy this and just tune the rifle better, its all in the gas block pushing to much to the bolt. Also depends on your gas length system and dwell time.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom