Adding tree to back yard **Update with trees**

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Well my backyard is completely devoid of trees (other than a few oaks along the property line that my neighbor assures me are his even though they're on my side of the fence...? I digress). I'd like to get some shade back there. Was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on type and how it should be done. I've got that puppy coming in a couple months so I'm not looking to start from a seedling, but something that is around 5+ feet already.

Thanks.

**UPDATE**

Big thanks to Golden-Eagle who donated a couple Red Maples to my back yard. Had to fight some ants for a while (I lost), but I got a couple. Also picked up a couple from Home Depot: a citrus tree and a flowering pear.

Pictures:

Before:
    photobucket-19112-1346778820195.jpg

After:

photobucket-8313-1346778731389.jpg

Couldn't get a wide enough angle to show, but there's also a small red maple further to the right corner near the house.

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    How are the roots? I'd like a tree that has deep roots that don't spiderweb out on top of/just under the ground. Not sure if that's possible with the soil here or not.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Might as well get double duty. See if you can find fruit trees that fit your shade needs too. We had pecan trees. Don't know how deep the roots were, but they weren't on the surface.

killdee

Wanderer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    BR, LA
    River Birch is fast-growing tree, and it looks nice without a lot of root problems. But River Birches generally don't hold up for the long-term. Many or most of them start to lose major limbs or even have broken trunks in a fairly short time. There are exceptions, though. I planted one in my front yard that is very tall now, and has even survived our hurricanes with minimal damage.

If you have the room for it, something like a Cherrybark Oak or Shumard Oak will usually be a strong, healthy tree, but they will eventually grow to be huge. A Chinese Elm is another possibility that you might ask about at a nursery. Shouldn't get as large as the oaks, but fast growing and structurally sound.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    How are the roots? I'd like a tree that has deep roots that don't spiderweb out on top of/just under the ground. Not sure if that's possible with the soil here or not.

I only have one now and it's in a bed. at our last house there were three of them in the yard and I don't recall any issues with roots. there was grass around the trees and I had no problems mowing around them. they are like a cypress in that the roots tend to soak up water so I'd assume they would be more into the soil than on top, but I could be wrong.

LONTON

New Member LT
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Giant Bamboo - I will post pics later but it is a clumping not running bamboo that is not invasive but by one summer you will have a 15' privacy/shade hedge, the next summer you will have a 25' hedge and the following you will be approaching 35-40'. It really is a super fast grower. I put it up to block some apartments 300 yards away. Oldhami is the species and there's a guy in Bridgecity that sells it.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Thank you for the recommendations. Not looking for a huge tree as it isn't that large of a back yard, but right now it's completely open with good grass.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Before Gustav took it out, I had a Green Ash in my front yard that was growing very well. Was planted at about 2 years old and 4 or 5 feet tall. IIn 4 yeras time it was twice that height and the base went from 1" diameter to about 3 or 4 inches diameter. Very good shade tree.

Might as well get double duty. See if you can find fruit trees that fit your shade needs too. We had pecan trees. Don't know how deep the roots were, but they weren't on the surface.

To this recommendation I would submit a Fig Tree. :)

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I second Boose… We have a curling willow rather than a weeping. Two years old I guess, maybe three and it's really taken off in the last year. My aunt has one that's nine years old and it's as tall as her doublewide trailer now. Small trunk and very pretty for a small back yard.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I have a live oak growing in a place I don't want. It's about 15' tall with a 3.5" caliper. You are welcome to it.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Live oak. They are sturdy and fare well with hurricanes. River birch trees drop leaves all summer and are messy. Bradford pear trees split and fall in hurricanes. Seriously. We just built a new home and the only two trees we have are the live oaks we planted. I speak from experience.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    More of a bush than a tree but Blue Harvest Farms in Covington is selling some of their blueberry bushes. when I lived in Slidell I tried fig trees but didn't have any luck (in Laplace they grew great).
    Don't put a pecan tree any where near your house, they tend to drop branches when they get older. They also get caterpillars.
    I've always liked red maple for shade trees. I have two swamp maples now but they put up knees- I've wrecked two lawnmower blades and hubs...

Maybe call the st tammany county agent? Or the LSU Ag center? They can tell you what will grow and what won't.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Live oaks are great shade trees but you will have roots above ground and the grass will struggle to cover underneath them. I am also looking for a few shade trees, I have some huge red tips on the west side of my house that shade very well. There are also four cedar trees that I need to remove and replace with something yet to be determined.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom