Advice on anniversary trip to san antonio

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Planning a surprise 3 or 4 day trip to San Antonio for the wife and I. Looking for any advice on what to do, what not to do, where to stay etc. Thanks in advance.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    If you go to the river walk, especially in the evening after chidren go to bed, there is a irish piano bar called Dirty Nelly's. Good beer, Good peanuts and a humourusly slightly adult irish piano player. It's a great time any time, but I like to go when it gets a bit more rowdy.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    and stay away from Dick's Last Resort unless you like being treated badly. That is their whole shtick. It smells real good walking by, so I took my wife in there to eat, ended up cussing out a waiter, manager, and leaving without eating. My brother in law told me later what their deal is.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I stayed at the La Quinta downtown by the riverwalk. The riverwalk is nice, dont really know much else, we just stayed downtown. The la quinta was nice, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saggitarius449

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Olla, LA
    We had a blast at Dicks Last Resort. But I already knew that is what they did. We went to LuLu's Bakery and Cafe and had a 4lb cinnamon roll. The kids love it. But I suggest going to the riverwalk after dark and taking a boat ride. Pretty romantic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I love San Antonio! Stayed in a Marriot on the Riverwalk once and in the old ST Anthony about 2 blocks from the Riverwalk . The St Anthony was beautiful(like The Roosevelt). We bought tickets for a "trolley" bus that looped around the downtown area which gave a history of S.A. and you could get off, shop then get on again and ride to the next stop. It also went out to the old Lone Star Brewery for a tour which has a large collection of taxidermied animals and fish from around the globe that the owner killed and caught. We also took a tour out to an old Mission (I'm into history so I liked it.) Can't guide you to a specific restaurant. We went to all of the places along the Riverwalk with outdoor seating. Margarita's were cold at all of them and it's hard to screw up fahita's. We had the kid's one trip and did the touristy stuff like a Ripley's museum. Second trip was all about shopping and there's tons of places all along the Riverwalk and a big Rivercenter mall. The Rivercenter Mall has an Imax theater that plays an Alamo movie we took the kids to so they'd have an idea of the history. Naturally went to the Alamo. Went to Fiesta Texas theme park which was OK. Like Dollywood, great wooden rollercoaster and lots of live music and a laser show on the side of an old quarry wall which was cool. Be prepared of the "Texas overload factor"! You'll here the words Texas and Great over and over and over again. By the end of the trip you'll either vow never to come to Texas again or call you parents and chew them out because they didn't raise you in Texas.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Thanks for all the great advice so far!!! I am looking at a bed and breakfast called Inn on the Riverwalk. Anyone familiar with this place?

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    I'd like to 2nd the recommendation of going to visit the Alamo. It's well worth your time, if only for the fact that you're standing on sacred ground, consecrated by the blood of patriots who heroically gave their lives in the name and defense of freedom.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    The River Walk, The Alamo, Tower of the Americas, The Natural Bridge Caverns and when you want to relax head on out to New Braunfels and stay in a cabin along the Guadalupe River.

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    The River Walk, The Alamo, Tower of the Americas, The Natural Bridge Caverns and when you want to relax head on out to New Braunfels and stay in a cabin along the Guadalupe River.

OMG, I completely forgot about the Natural Bridge Caverns! That is a very cool experience... :thumbsup:

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    The Alamo is definitely on the list. Just looked up the natural bridge caverns. That looks pretty cool also. Would it be possible to do the Alamo and the caverns in the same day or would it be best to split the days?

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    The Alamo is definitely on the list. Just looked up the natural bridge caverns. That looks pretty cool also. Would it be possible to do the Alamo and the caverns in the same day or would it be best to split the days?

The caverns are out towards New Braunfels, I think. The Alamo and the Tower are right on the River Walk so probably be better to split those days.
    New Braunfels is known for beautiful white water rafting and amazing BBQ dinning along the Guadalupe and Comal Rivers.
    Wish i could remember the name of the restaurant but your dinning table is on a hillside overlooking the white water..very cool and excellent smoked meats.
    Also around the River Walk is the famous Market Square, the largest Mexican market in the U.S.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Google helped me remember the restaurant..The Gristmill... www.gristmillrestaurant.com

Here's a pic from their website of the tables overlooking the raging river. I really think this was our table, its exactly like i remember.

outdoor1.jpg

ABNsurveyor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Fort Polk area
    I have stayed twice at the Drury Plaza on the River Walk. Very clean, 3 free drink managers kick back 1730-1900 with snacks. River Walk access. Walking distance to the Alamo and the Market Square. After dark do not go above the river walk and take the city streets as a short cut back to your hotel, it is just not safe even if you are carrying. Mandatory additional $19.00 per night valet parking, but this is not a bad thing as your car is in a safer area and less likely to be broken into. You can take your car in and out with out any extra fee.

Top Bottom