Advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slim

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Metairie
    So I rook hitmans advice and decided to post herr. I finally made the decision to get back into shape. After being married 5 years ive become very inactive and seem to havr this extra tire hanging around.

Anyway, I made the first choice and quit smoking. Been smoking for about 15 years and figured.it was time. Besides not gonna get much exercise done with a cigarette in ny mouth.

I changed my eating habuts and started atkins. Almost 2 weeks.in and lost 15 pounds the first week and like 2 this week. A diet is great but I really need to exercise. Can anyone recommend a good plan for starting out?

In case it matters Im 6 foot 7 and with the weight I lossed so far Im right at 305 lbs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I will give u a reply but ask a question also if that is ok. I have heard great things about an app called couch 2 5k. Has anyone tried this? I was gonna give it a shot.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    From Couch to 5k would be a good place to start.

On the same page or what?! :mamoru:

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    How old are you?

Do you have any weights?

I suggest a fit test to not only give you a clue where you are but a base line for improvement for the next time you take the fit test. Doesn't have to be this one but it's the most detailed and all you have to do is print it out.
    http://www.teambeachbody.com/home/-/dl_get_file/64608566-0952-4f84-8d92-3dcf82a31d23

Don't forget to print & fill out one of these; *ADD* Wrist, Forearm and Neck!

You'll need to weigh in and take measurements again on the 1st of September.

Click Yellow Bar, Right Click, Print
    malemeasurmenttracker.jpg

Last edited:

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    P90x, or P90 if you're not quite ready for the X. Push play every day. Get some powerblocks, I've been through the soloflex adjustable weights and powerblocks are the best(I use them as pushup bars also, so you don't have to buy those either). They're pricey, but only equal to a couple of months' worth of cigarettes that you're not smoking anymore. The amount of room they save in your house is ridiculous compared to having 5-50 lbs of iron strewn everywhere.

P90x put me in better shape than when I was in the Navy(I was 10 years younger also), working out 6 days a week AND doing PT. A healthy diet makes all the difference in the world. I went from 158 lbs/34 inch waist to 180 lbs/30 inch waist in the last 3 months. I haven't had a 30 inch waist since I was 17(I'm 34 now). I also feel like I'm 17, am also single - let me tell you that I get looks from women everywhere now and my confidence is through the roof. It's great on this side of life, come join the fun. Good luck and PUSH PLAY EVERY DAY!

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Can you afford and would you be interested in a DVD Program?

If not we can pull you something from the Fitness Center @ Military.com or Precision Nutrition.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    C25K, P90X, Insanity, Crossfit, Personal trainer, etc. All are viable. What matters is which one works for you, your budget, your schedule, etc. Diet is 90%.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    A good crossfit trainer should be able to help you modify their workouts to fit your situation. You have New Orleans Crossfit, Crossfit NOLA, and Crossfit Red Diamond in the Metarie area, can't vouch for any of them, and it does tend to cost more than a traditional gym, but I've found the benefits to be more than worth it. If you look into video's be sure to pay close attention to their form or spend a month or so with a personal trainer to learn proper form for the movements you will do. I hear over and over that people injure knees and backs due to poor form while attempting to keep up with the videos. Eating clean is a great start, wish you the best of luck getting moving.

Also, focusing on weight along may or may not be a good thing depending on the exercise you choose, we've had several folks at redstick crossfit in baton rouge spend months working out without loosing any weight, and i've seen similar happen with other crossfit friends. They tend to gain enough weight from the lifting to balance the fat loss to a point. Keeping a notebook with a couple of basic measurements like waist neck chest thighs(hitmans chart) for body, weight lifted or movement done either total reps or reps / specific time for performance. Also before and after pictures can be great motivation, weekly, monthly, or whatever works for you. Again good luck.

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    If your goal is to loose weight, it is really a simple equation. Use more calories than you take in. I don't watch what I eat but how much. The one piece of advice i will give is doe something every day. A best work out plan is one that is consistent.

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    A good place to start, and one of my favorites, is to ride a bike. Easier on the knees too.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I've always had good luck with diet and running. Set a distance not a time at first and don't quit even if you have to fast walk alot at first. As you notice you can do this easier every other day without much pain and soreness start working at timing your run but at a minimum go 3 miles to start with... You will shed pounds doing this and they stay off. Change routes often so your not always looking at the same stuff. Good idea to map out 5 or 6 different routes. This can be habbit forming in itself. With not smoking make sure you brush your teeth often. This helps alot with smoking .

Slim

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Metairie
    I am interested in a dvd program but funds are kinda tight at the moment.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    running is free. Walking is great to start with but keep a good pace for your heart rate and go a min distance of 3 miles.

Slim

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Metairie
    Walking is going to be a definate part of this. Im going to download the couch to 5k app and start with that. Seems to be a lot of problems with the android with it so Im gonna do it on my ipod touch.

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the advice. One more thing, what is your opinion of atkins? Or is there a better diet plan I should follow.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    someone your hieght and weight I'd just do low low cal realistic diet . I'd do 1600 calorie a day with simple heathy choises IE not out of can or pre made food. No carbonated drinks. Lots of water and no plain junk food, not even alittle and you will loose weight fast. The low cal heathy diet is easier to stick to heathy habbits after you acomplish your goal vs something like atkins where you go back to eating junk afterwards. You really have to look at a diet as a change in lifestyle completely then just a tool to loose weight. after you loose the weight you can slowly work up to 2000- 2200 cal a day depending on how much exersise you do and you'll really feel great.

Top Bottom