AK47 barrel threading service locations in Louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    I am wanting to get one of my barrels threaded on an AK in 7.62X39. I can’t find anyone that will do it. I have called places in Lafayette, Leesville, Lake Charles, and I’m just getting frustrated. Does anyone know of any companies that do this? Do you know of any AK custom shops? Please help! Thanks

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    103   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    What kinda gun shop/gunsmith won’t thread an Ak? :doh:

What are you trying to do? Concentric threads for suppressor? Does it already have threads, welded cap for post ban rifle?

I have threaded quite a few myself, very easy, mic the barrel, and buy a threading kit with a caliber specific alignment starter… kits can be had for $40-50…

Just make sure you get the right thread pitch you want and correct caliber alignment part… most of them will tell you the min and max O.D. spec that due works with

Last Ak shop was mesa kinetic and I think they closed

Latrag7

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 3, 2020
    Lafayette
    I was in the same boat about 6 years ago - the only one I know of is Aklys Defense in Baton Rouge. That said, I really didn't have a good experience dealing with them. It took them a year and a half to finish the job. The work was good but the service not so much.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    What kinda gun shop/gunsmith won’t thread an Ak? :doh:

What are you trying to do? Concentric threads for suppressor? Does it already have threads, welded cap for post ban rifle?

I have threaded quite a few myself, very easy, mic the barrel, and buy a threading kit with a caliber specific alignment starter… kits can be had for $40-50…

Just make sure you get the right thread pitch you want and correct caliber alignment part… most of them will tell you the min and max O.D. spec that due works with

Last Ak shop was mesa kinetic and I think they closed

I guess i should have specified lol. I’m trying to put a suppressor on it. SilencerCo said that they don’t recommend anything else other having new threads put on a barrel. They said if not I would more than likely have a baffle strike… It’s on a WASR 10/63 with 14X1 LH threads. The stores I called said they couldn’t do it because they didn’t have a machine that could hold the gun. It has to be just the barrel…

Last edited:

Leafbloer

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Slidell
    I guess u should have specified lol. I’m trying to put a suppressor on it. SilencerCo said that they don’t recommend anything else other having new threads put on a barrel. They said if not I would more than likely have a baffle strike… It’s on a WASR 10/63 with 14X1 LH threads. The stores I called said they couldn’t do it because they didn’t have a machine that could hold the gun. It has to be just the barrel…
    First you don't need to pull an ak barrel to thread it. Secondly you don't need a machine to do it get some 1/2 28 thread dies do it yourself in the garage. If your not comfortable doing it yourself I would take it to a machine shop over a gunshop.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    103   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    yea concentric threads for a gun is a little diff… and it’s kind hard to thread over 14x1LH… they would prob have to shorten barrel and then re thread,

Would have to almost use like a rd venom gas block with front sight and then thread barrel and pin/weld…

That kinda what I did on one of my arsenals … put a lantac dragon asr mount on it
    IMG_1179.jpeg

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    103   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    We have a few very capable Ak builders on this site that I’m sure can help you… but… an Ak already threaded and wanting to change thread pitch and make it concentric is not a simple job, like posted above prob easier to ship it off and have it done… last thing you want is a baffle strike…

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    14x1 threads should have enough meat left to turn down and thread for 1/2x28.

Or the front sight can be removed, cut the existing threaded part of the barrel off, and prep the area behind that to be threaded and extend the fsb journal back the correct amount. reinstall the fsb and pin it.

Top Bottom