Algiers Pastor shoots thief

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/08/algiers_pastor_surrenders_to_p.html#incart_most-comments

Algiers pastor arrested on battery charge in shooting of suspected thief

New Orleans police on Thursday arrested a popular Algiers pastor and former NOPD officer, nearly 24 hours after he fired shots at two men he said were stealing copper tubing from air conditioners outside his church.

W.L.T. Littleton, the 62-year-old pastor of Greater Morning Star Baptist Church of Algiers and a local radio personality, surrendered to police shortly before 5 p.m., according to police and court records. He was booked with one count of aggravated battery in connection with the shooting of Rodney Mitchell, 50.

NOPD Interim Superintendent Michael Harrison said Littleton told investigators he caught two men - identified as Mitchell and 34-year-old Joseph Cross - dismantling and stripping unsecured air conditioner units between Littleton's church and his adjacent snowball stand in the 1200 block of Vallette Street the day before.

Littleton pointed a gun and ordered the men to stop, according to Harrison. When they began to flee, first on foot and then in a pickup truck, witnesses said Littleton fired at least eight shots. Littleton then jumped into his white SUV and chased the men's pickup truck. One of the shots Littleton fired struck Mitchell in the head, police siad.

The truck's back window was shattered, though it was unclear whether Littleton fired additional shots once the vehicle chase began.

Harrison said Littleton stopped chasing the truck and flagged down an NOPD patrol car at the corner of Newton and Behrman streets to report the copper theft. Meanwhile, an off-duty NOPD officer came upon the pickup truck a few blocks away, outside a tire shop near Diana Street and L.B. Landry Avenue.

Mitchell was rushed to Interim LSU Hospital Wednesday in critical condition, but had been upgraded to serious condition later in the day. Cross was unhurt, and was arrested and booked with theft, simple criminal damage and a parole violation.

Littleton surrendered his gun to police officers after the shooting. No other weapons were recovered, NOPD said.

The shooting marked the second time in a week that an Algiers resident fired upon someone they accused of criminal conduct. On Aug. 20, 25-year-old Keith Jay Jones was shot and killed by a homeowner who said the masked Jones forced his family into their house at gunpoint in an attempted home invasion in the 1800 block of West Homestead Drive. Detectives ruled that shooting a case of justifiable homicide.

Harrison said the cases were not indicative of a trend toward vigilante justice or unreasonable fear of crime in Algiers.

"Those are case-by-case incidents," Harrison said. "I can't say what citizens should and shouldn't do. We look at each individual case on its own merits. This individual case has its own facts and circumstances."

Cross was on parole from a 2011 simple burglary conviction in Jefferson Parish. His record also includes convictions for cocaine distribution in 2007 and theft in 2009 following Jefferson Parish arrests. Court records show this was his first adult arrest in Orleans Parish.

Mitchell, who was previously convicted of cocaine possession, has been wanted on an active warrant since September 2013 for failing to pay required fees and fines levied by the court.

Littleton had no prior criminal record. He worked as an NOPD officer from 1974-83 before resigning for unspecified health reasons, according to city records. He has worked as a pastor for more than 20 years building a reputation for generosity and forgiveness, according to family members and church neighbors.

"He's a nice man," said Ricky Smith, who lives a few doors down from Littleton's church. "He tries to give people around here work so that don't have to be stealing. But I guess the more you help people, the more they try to do bad by you."

Littleton had remained secluded inside his Algiers home earlier Thursday, skipping his weekday morning radio show on WBOK 1230-AM and declining to meet with reporters at his front door.

Before Littleton's arrest, his son Taschi Littleton said his father was resting after the stress of Wednesday's incident.

"My father is a man of God, and he's prayed up," he said. "And everything's in God's hands."

Less than five hours later, the senior Littleton was booked into the Orleans Parish Prison central lockup. He was released on $10,000 bond sometime before 8 p.m.

If convicted of aggravated battery, Littleton could face a sentence of up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

Neighbors of the church said they had been grateful to see Littleton return late Wednesday night, free from police custody after being interviewed for several hours at NOPD headquarters.

"They took the pastor in for questioning, but last night he came back to see if everything was all right with the church. He came back around 9 or 10 o'clock," said church neighbor Micquell Dillon. "It was really sad. He's really a nice man. I hope everything is OK with him."

Dillon, who was on her front porch with her young son and other family members when the shooting erupted Wednesday, said she was stunned by what she saw.

"I heard the shots, at least eight or 10 of them," she said. "I leaned over and saw the pastor running to get in his truck to chase after them. I got all the kids inside."

According to Cross' arrest report, Littleton told investigators he looked out a church office window to see the suspect tampering with the air conditioner.

"They must've didn't think he was going to come out as fast as he did," Dillon said of the men.

Cross' arrest report makes no mention of Mitchell or the gunfire. Cross' bond was set Thursday afternoon at $10,000. Littleton's bond was expected to be set Thursday night.

Taschi Littleton praised his father's character before the arrest.

"He's a great father and a great role model to the community," he said. "He's gone out of his way, for years, to give not only to members of his church but anyone who's come in need from other congregations. Anyone who's come to him and asked for help, he's always been there for them."

One man, who declined to give his name, waited Thursday at a bus stop outside the church. He said he often spoke with the pastor on his way to and from work.

"I'm glad he caught them," he said of the accused copper thieves. "You ain't got no business stealing from a church anyhow. That's not cool at all."

JR1572

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    So what is he preaching on Sundays, if he's willing to shoot someone over theft? I live in Algiers, and outside my neighborhood there's so much drama. Shootings, fights, and ignorance.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I heard this last night. I was waiting for him to be charged with something.

But here is my question: They are stealing his/someone's property. He confronts them. And he tries to detain them at gunpoint. They try to flee.

What is the responsibility of the property owner? Let them haul ass with his stuff? If there is no immediate defense of property at the time of the theft; they could do this crap all day long and never be stopped?!?

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I heard this last night. I was waiting for him to be charged with something.

But here is my question: They are stealing his/someone's property. He confronts them. And he tries to detain them at gunpoint. They try to flee.

What is the responsibility of the property owner? Let them haul ass with his stuff? If there is no immediate defense of property at the time of the theft; they could do this crap all day long and never be stopped?!?

Pretty much. Call the police, don't start shooting people because they're leaving. That's why holding people at gunpoint is a terrible idea. You say freeze, when they don't, you're screwed.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Pretty much. Call the police, don't start shooting people because they're leaving. That's why holding people at gunpoint is a terrible idea. You say freeze, when they don't, you're screwed.

And that is why property theft is at all time highs. These scumbags today don't fear getting caught anymore. They do still fear getting killed, however. And, if and when they do get arrested; they won't suffer any penalty they worry about.

A fed days in jail? A court appearance? A fine? Pfft! Child's play!

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    The pastor was standing in the street and shooting at a fleeing thief driving down a public street in Algiers, hitting him twice in the head. Now if I remember correctly Merritt Landry was standing in his yard in the Marigny and shot a thief who was in his yard behind a locked fence once in the head. Landry gets charged with second degree attempted murder and the preacher gets charged with aggravated battery. Hmmmm looks like a double standard. One for Algiers and one for Marigny? Or maybe one for building inspectors and one for preachers? Or maybe one for private property and another for public streets.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The pastor was standing in the street and shooting at a fleeing thief driving down a public street in Algiers, hitting him twice in the head. Now if I remember correctly Merritt Landry was standing in his yard in the Marigny and shot a thief who was in his yard behind a locked fence once in the head. Landry gets charged with second degree attempted murder and the preacher gets charged with aggravated battery. Hmmmm looks like a double standard. One for Algiers and one for Marigny? Or maybe one for building inspectors and one for preachers? Or maybe one for private property and another for public streets.

Then you might consider this; the pastor is ex-NOPD! :mamoru:

Put that in your conspiratorial pipe and smoke it!

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    And that is why property theft is at all time highs. These scumbags today don't fear getting caught anymore. They do still fear getting killed, however. And, if and when they do get arrested; they won't suffer any penalty they worry about.

Well if you feel like following in the pastors foot steps, feel free. Actually I will thank you "QUIETLY" for getting rid of this trash.

I can see your point but I for one could not do it though. I guess all the training is making sense now. If a life is not in the balance, then a piece of property is just not worth the legal head ache and hassle nor the personal conflict. I have great home insurance for a reason.

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    I can imagine how pissed he was.
    It wasn't just a "theft" when they
    destroyed his air conditioner to get the copper.
    He knew better; ya just don't get to shoot em in the back.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009

Well, it is certainly true.....As long as the laws stay current, they have nothing to fear. "Fear" of incarceration doesn't seem to impress them. Fact. :dunno:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans

Exactly right. And FWIW...most of todays criminals know this and some of the veteran thieves will laugh at you when you point a gun at them.

They just put up their hands and walk away......And you are screwed. It certainly gets old very fast.

Just got me thinking that man's best friend sometimes can trump a gun in certain situations. The dog doesn't give a **** if they raise their hands or not....

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Well if you feel like following in the pastors foot steps, feel free. Actually I will thank you "QUIETLY" for getting rid of this trash.

I can see your point but I for one could not do it though. I guess all the training is making sense now. If a life is not in the balance, then a piece of property is just not worth the legal head ache and hassle nor the personal conflict. I have great home insurance for a reason.

Nor would I. But as you say; that's the point! Police manpower slowly goes down around the country, and these POS get more emboldened to just take people's **** as they please. Because heaven forbid, some poor bastard who worked his whole life to legally acquire things to make his life nicer shoot some lowlife criminal sack of **** trying to take it from him illegally!

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Just got me thinking that man's best friend sometimes can trump a gun in certain situations. The dog doesn't give a **** if they raise their hands or not....

Nothing like having to pry a piece of a thief ass out of Fido’s mouth after a job well done! There is some satisfaction in that don't you think?

wbdwv5emmu62ex33hsmz.jpg

nn6m7dyqg9589tkn6rn.jpg

9hd3goz54suty2w4qqgb.jpg

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Fact: Thieves fear dogs.

Quite honestly, if my dog was chewing on someone who was trying to steal my AC, I don't think I could stop laughing long enough to stop her.

Back to the original post, no way should anyone be shooting at a fleeing vehicle. Don't feel bad for him. I do wish he would have aimed better though.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Unfortunately, thieves poison or shoot dogs too...

Can you imagine the outrage if N.O. tried to write a residence law similar to the car jacking bill? Legal to shoot inside your fenced yard? Maybe make it read like the hunting laws? Legal to take bipedal mammals on private property by the home owner with any centerfire round? self clearing certificates available in front of any police station. :)

Top Bottom