Another Safe issue

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    The key and/or tumbler that locks the manual S&G dial on my safe has failed. I cannot unlock the dial. Any tricks you guys may know of the remove it replace it?

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Sometimes, through normal use, the tumblers wear and you have to go a little beyond the combination #, maybe just one # on each pass. Give that a try. If the first # is 17, then go to 18, then 2nd # go to 75 instead of 74, then 13 instead of 12. Hope this helps.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    They are usually just a three or four pin lock, really easy to pick.

Get a Lishi and knock it out in under a minute. It will manually set any of the pins that are misaligned.

No disrespect when I ask this, but you positive its the right key ? I have several safes with locking dials and the keys look identical except for the cuts. I have to make sure I grab the correct key

dwhaley929

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Baton Rouge LA
    aliexpress has a ton of different lock picks and tools. Not that I know anything about lock picking. Someone on here can probably advise you about that better than me.

simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant

Get a Lishi and knock it out in under a minute. It will manually set any of the pins that are misaligned.

No disrespect when I ask this, but you positive its the right key ? I have several safes with locking dials and the keys look identical except for the cuts. I have to make sure I grab the correct key
    fortunately I only have one safe!! No disrepect taken at all ……LOL

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Each Lishi pick is lock specific. They don’t offer one for safe dial keyways and bitting as far as I know. (Was a locksmith in a former profession.) That said, most dial locks aren’t terribly difficult to open with standard picks.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I know it’s sounds too easy but did you try powder graphite yet? That’s my first move on any lock.
    Listen to Cheesy

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    I know it’s sounds too easy but did you try powder graphite yet? That’s my first move on any lock.
    Listen to Cheesy
    Great advice. Lock-Ease (liquid graphite) comes in a blue bottle made by AGS. Hard to find now except in big box stores or online. I would give that a try. WD-40 might work, but will only gum up the tumblers eventually.

Last edited:

Rebel500

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Northshore La
    What brand safe do you have? If you have a Liberty call Mike Ward. It’s possible that someone else bent a wafer or crushed a spring trying to force the wrong key in.

T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant
    Glad to hear you got it open!! I ordered two bottles off of Ebay last week, $15 with free shipping Listed as AGS Lock-Ease Liquid Graphite Lock fluid. I could not find it locally.
    The graphite powder can be found at most auto parts stores. The liquid spray I can get from XYZ Locksmith in Gonzales.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Pro tip: if you decide to use a lubricant it’s best to clean out the cylinder with a solvent like ethanol or acetone to remove any previous lubricant and relubricate with the product of your choice. Dry with compressed air after solvent use for cleaning. This way you know what’s in the lock and won’t gum things up by using two dissimilar types of lubricant. Just a thought.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

"Hello, this is the LockPicking Lawyer..." :mamoru:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wrobi2016
    Top Bottom