Another slice of Americana/tools made in the USA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I bought this set of tap and dies a few years back when I started the restoration of my Jeep and they have been quite handy. There were so many times I needed them to freshen up some threads or clean out bolt holes that I’ve lost count. The Henry L Hanson Company was started in Massachusetts, but I don’t know the exact date. They made some really nice tools for a long time but like a lot of businesses they went under and some one bought the name. The newer tools are no where near the quality as the old stuff. I got them off of eBay and will buy another set of them when the right deal comes along.
    8f27a26b78b5ecebd18da3f2c415126f.jpg

3a7baa7c649813138428ac8c74567032.jpg

4c04760d9fd972a6ea9528a3b03b563c.jpg

03cf5847b0e4f26e0c7e83318b009aa8.jpg

0737296652da1b14b8b4238c0df649c3.jpg

c0a75d70851dd2fe01c89876923e9f01.jpg

004ed6b0fa48bf9c9658f0fdfa5ecc04.jpg

e9f0f7c9bb9fa920fb9b7d2f2c8c4dc3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I’m thinking Snap On are pretty good tools as far as I know. I know some of their stuff is made over seas, but they are still considered better than most. The ones I have cost me about 40-50 bucks, but I just like the fact that at one time in America a working man could buy some decent tools for a decent price made by an American company, but not any more. There are still some tools made here, Channel Lock for example, but it’s more exception than the rule.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I got my tap & die set when I worked at Graingers in the 80’s. I don’t use it much but when I need it I love having it.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I REALLY like the old sets. The size is stamped into the metal.
    For years manufacturers have used laser etching. I'm old, my eyes are old. If one desires to remove rust he also will remove the markings.
    Hand tools have done the same thing. An impact socket is the worse.
    And yes, I really like the older American made tools. I started my career repairing cars and buying tools in 1973. I am a busted knuckle member.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    For what your doing, basically cleaning out holes and chasing threads, yes your old set is good and is way better than the Harbor Freight sets. But your set was the budget set back then when it was made. Now there are quality import taps and dies from the better import tool companies that dont break the bank.
    That said tap technology has really advanced with coatings, tap design, powdered metal taps, carbide, etc and if you have a big job or need to tap a difficult material like 316 or case hardened steel. Spend the money on a quality OSG, emuge, or other tap. You'll spend way more having a broken tap burned out than it cost.

georg jetson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    There is a company that makes all of their tools in the USA.

As far as I can tell, they're the best quality tools made today at less than half the price of the truck brands, snapon, mac etc.

Unfortunately their catalog is a bit limited, but if sales go up then they'll probably expand.

A family member of mine used to have a Cornwell truck on the north shore. I got tools from him per 'family discount'. When I got a set of sockets from him a couple of years ago, I saw they were made in Asia, I was extremely disappointed. After searching a few days I found that Sk was the only US tool company left. They get all of my business.

They have a lifetime warrantee that can be redeemed at many tool outlets including Grainger.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I’ll have to check them out. I need a few more tools (whether or not I need them ) to meet my yearly quota for tool purchases.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have a mix of old and new Craftsman, old and new Snapon, Proto and Gearwrench, about half of it inherited and from the 70's or earlier. I think the old stuff is great as well as some of the new stuff, you just have to pay a lot more for the good stuff today. I'll have to check out SK though. I also thought that Snapon was all still made in the US. They're pretty proud of of their tools too. My son is an aircraft mech and just a set of specialty open end's he has is $800+.

Top Bottom