Any active amateur radio operators in NOLA?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    Mine is the basically the same as it is most other times. I do have two 2 meter setups, one for voice and the other for packet. Each has power supply and antenna. I used to keep a Yaesu FT-857 around with a G5RV instead of just the 2 meter voice rig. Our local ARES plan never really utilized HF so I sold the FT-857 since I was using it for VHF 99% of the time. The packet rig was intended to be used as a winlink 2000 email station. We had a Winlink RMS gateway setup on 2 meter packet at our EOC and the plan was to deploy a packet rig to each of the shelters in the the parish and use the email system for messaging, supply orders, etc. We planned that the EOC internet would be restored or a satellite link could be deployed and that would be the "internet" connection used by the remote stations. We're not quite there anymore but could be in a pinch. I need to get moving on this again. It's really an awesome system if you consider that the southern end of Tangipahoa parish could be without elctricity and services while the northern end could be nearly unaffected. Having real ( very slow and limited) email is better for sending a list of supply needs than having to relay via voice. If you've ever sent and official radio gram formatted messages, you know how that can be.

So, what is your emergency communications setup?

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Just getting back into it. I've talked some friends into buying Standard Horizon HX370S's for short range comm. They are marine vhs with 40 channel programable (137-174MHz). Out of the 40 programmable channels some will be kept on MURS for non license users, add a couple of simplex, and then repeaters from baton rouge to biloxi, laplace to hammond, and luling to houma to cover evac routes. Next step will be to work on vehicle mounted 2m's and have everyone get their ham ticket. What do you figure is the urban range of a 75watt 2m vehicle rig with a standard size antenna?

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Man, thats sweet. I was looking for a VHF handheld years ago that could programmed so HAM frequencies could be used also. There were mods available for some of them but you lost some power somewhere if I remember right. Found the following on eHAM:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7818

That looks like a great deal for doing VHF marine and 2m ham with the same HT....
    I'm still using 2 different radios for that purpose , 2 chargers, different batteries, etc.....

As for your question I'm guessing your talking about simplex w/75 watts? Between similar units (no bases involved)? I'd like to know myself because I've never spoken simplex with my mobile when I had it.

Last edited:

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    gander mountain has it onsale for 109 shipped. There is a 20% off coupon code gml20 that expires today bringing total to 90 bucks shipped.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I might get my license, my buddy is going crazy wanting me to get mine. He said if I got mine he would buy me a new Sig P226.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    The range of a mobile 2m rig is subject to many things. VHF is line of sight and will not go over the horizon. I have spoken simplex with others as far as maybe 20 miles but terrain and foliage will make that more like 10 -15 miles. Urban areas will be determined by buildings between the two stations and could limit the contact range even more. The most important thing isn't being able to communicate on all those different bands and modes, but to know how and where to communicate when the emergency is there. There are specific guidelines followed on amateur radio so it isn't a free for all with endless chatter keeping emergency traffc from being passed. There are also methods of relaying messages so that the content and context remains the same after several realys. Think about how you can tell someone a story, then they tell someone and so on. By the time it gets 3-4 retellings, you may not recognize it as the story you originally told.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I made you guys one too

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...ification-SIG-Tags-LEO-EMT-FF-Military-Random

hamyd.jpg

RobFMJ

Texan Transplant
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Houma, LA
    Got my tech license, but never did anything with it. Been toying with the idea of picking up a Yaesu VX-6R to play with.

HRBR1800

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    The range of a mobile 2m rig is subject to many things. VHF is line of sight and will not go over the horizon. I have spoken simplex with others as far as maybe 20 miles but terrain and foliage will make that more like 10 -15 miles..

I have received VHF broadcasts from 60 miles away. Is that uncommon? It is not typical, but I don't find that it is uncommon given my antenna height (antenna height ~40ft). Broadcast range seems more restricted but that is harder to pin point.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I have received VHF broadcasts from 60 miles away. Is that uncommon? It is not typical, but I don't find that it is uncommon given my antenna height (antenna height ~40ft). Broadcast range seems more restricted but that is harder to pin point.

Not uncommon at all considering the antenna height. "VHF broadcasts" could mean a lot of things such as FM radio broadcast which is typically tens of thousands of watts to hundreds of thousands and very high transmit antennas. It's still line of site but one antenna at 40' has a line of sight to the horizon much farther than a typical mobile mounted antenna and then combine that extended horizon to the 500' or so of a commercial broadcast antenna and 60 miles isn't all that uncommon. I suspect you aren't talking about FM radio stations but the point is the same. There is another phenomenon caled RF ducting where layers of warm and cool air bend the radio signal. Picture the distorted view you see down a hot highway. The temperature variance can bend light waves which are the same as radio waves but higher in frequency.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    kf5jkb here... I'm a new HAM... I have a little Yaesu vs-6r... good little radio... Thinking about getting a mobile rig for my truck next.

Aaron

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    My dad does this and wanted me to get a license!

There's something for just about everybody in this hobby. You don't have to be a radio engineer or care for anything other than talking on the radio. There are some basics you need to learn but not very difficult. No morse code requirements either. My club does monthly testing in Hammond if you're interested.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    There's something for just about everybody in this hobby. You don't have to be a radio engineer or care for anything other than talking on the radio. There are some basics you need to learn but not very difficult. No morse code requirements either. My club does monthly testing in Hammond if you're interested.

Thanks El Rubio! I'm definitely going to contact you sometime about that. I always joked with my dad when he got into it. He would say he can talk to people this far away and that far away, and I would say I can instant message someone across the world on my iphone :). But for **** hits the fan purposes, I think HAM radio is where it's at. None of the Mhz mean anything to me, I just know he had a 30 foot antenna put in concrete in our backyard, some coast guard antenna on the roof, and a bunch of equipment!!!

Charles1959

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.
    Mine is the basically the same as it is most other times. I do have two 2 meter setups, one for voice and the other for packet. Each has power supply and antenna. I used to keep a Yaesu FT-857 around with a G5RV instead of just the 2 meter voice rig. Our local ARES plan never really utilized HF so I sold the FT-857 since I was using it for VHF 99% of the time. The packet rig was intended to be used as a winlink 2000 email station. We had a Winlink RMS gateway setup on 2 meter packet at our EOC and the plan was to deploy a packet rig to each of the shelters in the the parish and use the email system for messaging, supply orders, etc. We planned that the EOC internet would be restored or a satellite link could be deployed and that would be the "internet" connection used by the remote stations. We're not quite there anymore but could be in a pinch. I need to get moving on this again. It's really an awesome system if you consider that the southern end of Tangipahoa parish could be without elctricity and services while the northern end could be nearly unaffected. Having real ( very slow and limited) email is better for sending a list of supply needs than having to relay via voice. If you've ever sent and official radio gram formatted messages, you know how that can be.

What the hell did he just say?:eek3:

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    For any interested, the Southeast La. Amateur Radio Club is having it's annual Hamfest this Saturday - 8am-12noon or so in Hammond at the Southeastern University Center. That's the big arena building on university ave across from the main campus. Admission is free. More info here

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    Hey fellow HAMs.... KK5FE here... I used to go to the HAM fest in Hammond all the time! Havent been in years. Maybe I'll take a ride over there. I havent been active since Katrina decided to blow my antennas down. I never put anything back up. One of my hobbies was to restore and use old tube type HAM gear from the 50's and 60's on 80 meters AM. Lots of fun. I have a Yaesu FT 840 I've been thinking about putting back on the air. I was into all the contest and DX chasing.... :)

anyway, nice to see other radio folks here.

Keith, KK5FE

Top Bottom