Any AK builders in southern LA?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southernk9cop

Resident Zombie Hunter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 3, 2007
    Houma
    I am ordering my parts within the next week or so. Nodak receiver and a Cole's kit. I am also going to use the Century compliance kit.

Anyone have the tools to press the rivets that would mind helping me out or mind renting the tools?

southernk9cop

Resident Zombie Hunter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 3, 2007
    Houma
    LCPL4,

How tough was the screw build? I don't care if its a rivet or screw build as long it looks good and goes boom when I want it to. And oh yeah, doesn't fall apart.

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    Hi guy , first pointer would be to forget the Century parts and just get a G2 f.c.g. . Copes or Tapco carry's them .

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Very easy to accomplish a screw build. The hardest part for me was making sure I drilled out the old rivets correctly centered and taped the holes centered as well. I did it all with basic hand tools - no presses, jigs, etc. I went with a nodak spud receiver since I did not know of anyone near me to take me through the bending process.

Would I rather have a rivet job? Yes, but since I couldn't find another builder near me I just couldn't see myself spending more money on the tools and jigs needed than what the rifle parts cost me in the first place. Safety wise, I haven't read on any forums of a ka-boom caused by screws versus rivets.

She goes boom. The screws are held by some loc-tite and none have started backing out yet.

From experience -

I would suggest skipping the engine paint method and go to something more durable like alumahyde 2 or similar if you are going to spray it.

You'll need a bottoming tap for the front screw holes if you don't plan on removing the barrel.

If you are limited to basic hand tools pay a little extra and get a kit with the old rivets already removed. That was the biggest pain in the rear.

I'll try and post a pic of the romy I did later this evening. I think total price came way under $300 for everything needed from the screws to the stain I used on the wood.

Oh yeah, almost forgot - watch your US made parts count to stay legal.

Edit - Purchased my kit from - http://www.akparts.com/index.htm

Last edited:

southernk9cop

Resident Zombie Hunter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 3, 2007
    Houma
    Thanks again for the replies.

Will,
    You appear to be the most experienced person on here with builds (duh). What method of building do you recommend for a first build. I am looking to put together 3 or 4 kits eventually. I see the bolt cutter method online a lot, and saw the part for sale for 40 bucks. BUT....that won't do the long rivets or the trigger guard rivets. How do you recommend a home builder install these rivets?

Do you do this small of a service in your shop? (Long rivets and trigger guard rivets) I emailed you the other day checking stock on receivers. I deleted the email by accident. What receivers do you have in stock?

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    Thanks again for the replies.

Will,
    You appear to be the most experienced person on here with builds (duh). What method of building do you recommend for a first build. I am looking to put together 3 or 4 kits eventually. I see the bolt cutter method online a lot, and saw the part for sale for 40 bucks. BUT....that won't do the long rivets or the trigger guard rivets. How do you recommend a home builder install these rivets?

Do you do this small of a service in your shop? (Long rivets and trigger guard rivets) I emailed you the other day checking stock on receivers. I deleted the email by accident. What receivers do you have in stock?
    Get the bolt-cutter riveter . I can hook you up with the rivets , no problem . I keep NDS 1's , 3's on hand . A vise , a punch and a hammer [a 3rd hand is good too] is all you need for the trigger guard rivets . pick up a 40-60 lb anvil from Harbor Freight , use a 1/4 in drill bit to put a dimple in it , use that to set your rear trunnion rivets [w/hammer ;)] . btw , while I'm sure anyone on here's screw builds will last forever + a million rounds , I've had many a home builder send me their screw builds for un-f**king after they fall apart . I'd go ahead and stick with the rivet's for the long haul . Will P.S. if you get stuck , or this is incoherent , give me a call . Will

southernk9cop

Resident Zombie Hunter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 3, 2007
    Houma
    I'll talk with you in person in the next week or two. I'm going to get my receiver from you. I found there is a Harbor Freight in NOLA. I'll get whatever you recommend there. Now...when you say anvil are you meaning a Looney Tunes falling on your head off a cliff anvil or a 45ish pound 5 or 6 inch vice with an anvil built onto one side.

A.
    00806.gif

B.
    94428.gif

Last edited:

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    So Southernk9cop hows the build going.I wish I found this site earlyer I love to build AKs.And have all the tools to build. I also have a hot blueing setup.

BAmBAM ain't just talking **** either . I've shot one of his builds , ingenius design features . You really ought to let me paint that arm gun for you bambam ;)

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    BAmBAM ain't just talking **** either . I've shot one of his builds , ingenius design features . You really ought to let me paint that arm gun for you bambam ;)
    -----I would Will but I allready hit it with the hot salts and it looks pretty good.I got a boat gun that needs a littel extra rust protection I need done up.I want to build a 5.45 arm pistol to take advantae of the cheap surplus.

Top Bottom