Any BayouShooter Attorneys

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cripsol

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2014
    Dallas
    I am currently finishing up my second year at Loyola Law School and was wondering if there were any attorneys here that may be looking for an intern for this summer. I would participate in the school intern/extern program, but I am going to be in Greece for 2 weeks and all of the programs that I am interested in require a 10 week commitment. My problem is that those weeks have to be consecutive and the summer program in Greece does not allow 10 consecutive weeks. I do have experience from last summer. If you are looking for someone or know of someone that is, please shoot me a pm and I can send you my resume'. Thanks.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I am currently finishing up my second year at Loyola Law School and was wondering if there were any attorneys here that may be looking for an intern for this summer. I would participate in the school intern/extern program, but I am going to be in Greece for 2 weeks and all of the programs that I am interested in require a 10 week commitment. My problem is that those weeks have to be consecutive and the summer program in Greece does not allow 10 consecutive weeks. I do have experience from last summer. If you are looking for someone or know of someone that is, please shoot me a pm and I can send you my resume'. Thanks.

Skip Greece take job. ;)

Good luck!!

SicilianSecrets

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA
    Top priority is an internship, then a job. If 10 week opportunities are available, go for them. Not only will you save loan money from not going to Greece, but you might secure a job that another enterprising student would earn through the internship opportunity. There are lots of law students, and recent law grads, floating around; grab an opportunity while it is still available... I speak from experience.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Top priority is an internship, then a job. If 10 week opportunities are available, go for them. Not only will you save loan money from not going to Greece, but you might secure a job that another enterprising student would earn through the internship opportunity. There are lots of law students, and recent law grads, floating around; grab an opportunity while it is still available... I speak from experience.

All. Of. This.

I spent my time interning and shadowing while a lot of my friends were doing Innsbruck and traveling and guess who got the job first. It certainly doesn't hurt to have "worldly experience" but c'mon, businesses today don't roll like that.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I don't know, I look back now and kick myself in the ass for not going to Europe when I had the chance. At the time, looking into the summer after 11th grade, there was a 21 day package, bouncing around about 3 days per country, but it would have meant clearing out my savings account almost entirely, and being young and inexperienced in the ways of the world, I thought I dearly needed to hold onto all those few thousand dollars. The chances of me getting the spare time and dollars to do that now, with a wife and son needing tickets as well, let's just say it's an idea still a far piece down the road. Go to Greece before you have to work so much that you won't be able to.

SicilianSecrets

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA
    Kraut, you're not the first person lately to share those thoughts. My buddy has 3 children and a wife. They spend more to fly to Disney World then it costs me to fly to Europe. He also regrets not traveling when he was in college. With that being said, I do believe your life boils down to your choices. You only get one shot at it...

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Go for it, man. This is your chance. Once you get out of college and start a full-time job, you very well might not be able to take that kind of time off. Plus, yeah, the family thing. I'd do it while you can. Work can wait.

Cripsol

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2014
    Dallas
    I appreciate everyone's advice. A little more information: I have not completely shunned myself from the internship. When I spoke to them I set everything up for next spring before I graduate. The pay will be a little less due to less hours but I am mainly worried about the experience. I worked all summer last year at a bankruptcy firm in Texas (I attended my 1L year at A&m School of Law). I understand the job market and I am not necessarily looking for something paid. If you are looking for some good help over the summer, for little or no money, your choice, then please shoot me a pm and I will get you my resume. You can check all references and contact my past employer in Dallas (We still stay in touch and have become good friends). Once again, I appreciate everyone's advice and everyone made very valid points.
    -Scott

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    live while you can...once you land a good job it may depress you knowing it will consume your life for the largest portion of it...

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I get the distinct impression that none of the people recommending Greece know what it's like to graduate these days with a J.D. (and a pile of debt) and try to find a job in today's market.

New attorneys these days are becoming baristas more often than barristers.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Coming from someone that's been in those shoes: Greece isn't going anywhere. The job however might be. Secure internship, secure job, and negotiate a starting salary/effective starting date 2 weeks from date of interview. go to greece having cake and eating it too. It'll be a much more enjoyable trip knowing you're coming home to a sweet new office.
    Anyone saying "work this" or "family that" isn't prioritizing travel. If "the trip" is that important, budget it, plan it, and do it. We've done disney world and the beach every year for almost a decade now, among other frequent travel spots. Family makes travel MORE fun, and is not an obstacle to your travel dreams. Employment also makes travel more fun because while I spend 7 days at (destination), I collect a paycheck.

Careful what weight you lend to the advice of people that don't travel or don't know the struggles of landing employment post graduation. It's your decision, and is one they can't relate to. Food for thought. ie; To someone thats never been/always wanted to go to Greece, thats their vote - your situation is irrelevant. To someone thats been, its a matter of passports and a few thousand bucks and is really no big deal. Comparatively that'll be like some of these guys buying a #2 value meal - totally irrelevant to your financial, family, or career pictures.

Don't think this is your only shot at ever seeing greece. It's been there for millennia, I doubt its going anywhere in the next five or ten years.

Good luck on your decision!

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Some of these feel relevant to this thread:

enhanced-buzz-28226-1368740309-9.jpg

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Here's what I should have said the first time. I'll leave it now because its part of the thread, but I digress.

Re: any implication that you'll never get the chance again to travel, thats just obnoxious. There's zero reason to not live life on your terms. if you always wanted to see greece/europe/whatever - make it happen. there are no obstacles, only excuses. if you budget and plan appropriately its not much more difficult than going to shreveport. it's just a different destination.

Re: original post

I know two men. One took the route of "go to greece" and the other took the route of "take the opportunity". tl;dr version: they are both in the top 1% of US wealth. I doubt this decision will hurt you either way, so just do what feels right. Cheers friend.

The first man left a high paying job as a software designer (one of very few at the time in the country) to travel India and Asia. When he returned and couldnt find work, he started a company in his garage doing the exact same job he had been applying for. 15 years later he had either bought out or put out of business every company he applied to and was rejected from. Net worth ~6.2B

The other man had no formal education and sacrificed his paying job, his marriage, and his last dollar all just to partake in an unpaid competitive internship. (Talk about sacrifice.) His education, experience, and the state of the economy were entirely irrelevant to his success. Net worth today is ~60M. Imagine if he hadn't taken the risk in favor of his "paying" job.

Everyone has their own path. and their own decisions to make. Don't let this one eat ya up.

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Here's what I should have said the first time. I'll leave it now because its part of the thread, but I digress.

Re: any implication that you'll never get the chance again to travel, thats just obnoxious. There's zero reason to not live life on your terms. if you always wanted to see greece/europe/whatever - make it happen. there are no obstacles, only excuses. if you budget and plan appropriately its not much more difficult than going to shreveport. it's just a different destination.

Re: original post

I know two men. One took the route of "go to greece" and the other took the route of "take the opportunity". tl;dr version: they are both in the top 1% of US wealth. I doubt this decision will hurt you either way, so just do what feels right. Cheers friend.

The first man left a high paying job as a software designer (one of very few at the time in the country) to travel India and Asia. When he returned and couldnt find work, he started a company in his garage doing the exact same job he had been applying for. 15 years later he had either bought out or put out of business every company he applied to and was rejected from. Net worth ~6.2B

The other man had no formal education and sacrificed his paying job, his marriage, and his last dollar all just to partake in an unpaid competitive internship. (Talk about sacrifice.) His education, experience, and the state of the economy were entirely irrelevant to his success. Net worth today is ~60M. Imagine if he hadn't taken the risk in favor of his "paying" job.

Everyone has their own path. and their own decisions to make. Don't let this one eat ya up.

See, that's where you lose me. You talked 2 posts earlier about how traveling with family is much better. But you think someone who sacrificed his marriage, in order to accumulate a huge amount of net worth is some kind of role model to follow? Personally, I'd work at fricken McDonald's if that's what it took to keep my family together.

To the OP- live your life, dude. Enjoy every minute of it. If going to Greece is gonna make you happy, then go for it. If having a somewhat better career does more for you, that's great too. You just have to set your priorities where you know that you'll be happy, and follow them.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    See, that's where you lose me. You talked 2 posts earlier about how traveling with family is much better. But you think someone who sacrificed his marriage, in order to accumulate a huge amount of net worth is some kind of role model to follow? Personally, I'd work at fricken McDonald's if that's what it took to keep my family together.

To the OP- live your life, dude. Enjoy every minute of it. If going to Greece is gonna make you happy, then go for it. If having a somewhat better career does more for you, that's great too. You just have to set your priorities where you know that you'll be happy, and follow them.

Bolded the part we agree on. And I'm not saying it was any role model to follow, I was pointing out that one guy took the trip and the other didnt. I said multiple times "the decision doesnt matter", and they both turned out just fine. Nothing else needed to be interpreted between the lines. This isn't a huge decision, just do it. Travel, work, greece, kids - itll all be there later. Just do today, and let tomorrow be tomorrow.

fyi thats why I stated "this is what I should have said first", but I've left it only because its relevant to the ensuing discussion at this point. I posted it initially because I've been -exactly- in his shoes. my posts were aimed equally at the list of people acting like this was a once in a lifetime decison, not necessarily only at op.

Last edited:

Cripsol

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2014
    Dallas
    I fee like this got off topic and turned into a debate. Not my intention. Just putting a feeler out to see if anyone was interested in a summer intern, minus 2 weeks I'll be in greece

Top Bottom