Any input on this water filter?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'd stick with the major name brands for a water filter- MSR, Katadyn, General Ecology. Keep in mind that there's a big difference between water filters and water purifiers. Filters get rid of protozoa and bacteria, purifiers do that plus virii. You still need to treat with iodine or boil with a filter.
    I've used the General Ecology First Need extensively (a friend has that one) in some nasty black scummy waters with no ill effects. That being said I bought the MSR filter. The GE clogged several times and a replacement cartridge is heavy. There was no way to field backwash or maintain it. The MSR is easy to clean in the field if/ when it clogs. I treat with potable aqua+ then filter. That keeps my filter live critter free. I don't have any experience with the Katadyn but it has a good reputation.
    Gravity filters tend to be much slower than they claim (take a look at some of the long distance rafting forums- they seem to be the ones using gravity filters the most. They tend to have larger groups and stationary campsites where time and weight aren't an issue.). We've pumped for groups of 4 to 5 without an issue.
    I see lots of claims listed from universities, but no articles cited or links to lab reports. They don't say how they are killing the viruses. .5 micron (that's kinda large compared to most manufacturers, btw) will stop bacteria and protozoa (giardia, etc.) but viruses are much smaller.
    Concerns: I don't see any pics of the innards. How much filtering area is there? How many gallons of muck will it filter before clogging?
    Can you get replacement filters now? How about in 3 years? With an off brand this is a concern.

IF you must have a gravity filter look at this one from Platypus. It filters down to .2 microns and is from a known manufacturer. Its also compatible with their bags which is a plus.
    http://www.rei.com/product/813799/platypus-gravityworks-water-filter
    Or this one from Katadyn if you need water for a larger group (.3 microns).
    http://www.rei.com/product/737349/katadyn-base-camp-water-filter

FYI, I have an older version of this one:
    http://www.rei.com/product/617913/msr-sweetwater-water-filter

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I'd stick with the major name brands for a water filter- MSR, Katadyn, General Ecology. Keep in mind that there's a big difference between water filters and water purifiers. Filters get rid of protozoa and bacteria, purifiers do that plus virii. You still need to treat with iodine or boil with a filter.
    I've used the General Ecology First Need extensively (a friend has that one) in some nasty black scummy waters with no ill effects. That being said I bought the MSR filter. The GE clogged several times and a replacement cartridge is heavy. There was no way to field backwash or maintain it. The MSR is easy to clean in the field if/ when it clogs. I treat with potable aqua+ then filter. That keeps my filter live critter free. I don't have any experience with the Katadyn but it has a good reputation.
    Gravity filters tend to be much slower than they claim (take a look at some of the long distance rafting forums- they seem to be the ones using gravity filters the most. They tend to have larger groups and stationary campsites where time and weight aren't an issue.). We've pumped for groups of 4 to 5 without an issue.
    I see lots of claims listed from universities, but no articles cited or links to lab reports. They don't say how they are killing the viruses. .5 micron will stop bacteria and protozoa (giardia, etc.) but viruses are much smaller.
    Concerns: I don't see any pics of the innards. How much filtering area is there? How many gallons of muck will it filter before clogging?
    Can you get replacement filters now? How about in 3 years? With an off brand this is a concern.

sound advice..

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Campmor tends to be a bit cheaper than REI btw.
    Take a ride to baton rouge sometime and look at the ones in The Backpacker (on Jefferson just off corporate). They usually carry a decent selection of gear and for usually know what they're talking about. Plus if I am depending on gear to keep me alive I want to see it before buying it. Sounds melodramatic, but coming down with giardia, etc. a 10 mile walk from the car with no cell coverage would suck big time. Some of those water borne illnesses will put you in the hospital for sure.
    Their prices are a bit higher than online but its nice to have a local option so I try to support them when I can. Plus they occasionally have good sales.
    BTW, whatever filter you buy test it at home first. Put some food dye in tap water and try it. If you get any food dye in the clean side return that thing!

FYI:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterborne_diseases

Giardia is fairly common in the US but easy to filter for. There aren't many viral waterborne infections in the outback but don't take a chance... use an antiviral or boil first, then filter. I've used just PA+ before, but don't like leaf bits in my water! A coffee filter wrapped around the inlet hose will extend the time between filter clogs.

Top Bottom