Any pipe smokers out there?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • number1roadie19

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I just recently purchased a pipe and am wondering if anyone here smokes one and can give any tips on good tabaccos and where they get them. Also any other tips are appreciated!

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Erm.

Well…

Don't drink the water???

(I'm sorry! I know you meant the other kind of pipe. I couldn't help it. It was the first thing that popped into my head)

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    The "Tinderbox" store in Lakeside mall has a pretty decent selection of premium smoking tobacco. That is the only place I know off the top of my head. Chances are there are dozens of other local tobacco retailers, however.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I used to smoke one also. Still have about 6-7 nice pipes gathering dust on the mantle. Plan on starting back one day. The trick is in packing the tobacco in the pipe for a good smoke. Google it and you should be able to find some tips on packing the tobacco. I used to find it very relaxing and sort of theraputic. Tinderbox is a good place to try different tobaccos untill you find one or more that you like.

number1roadie19

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Thanks guys. Keep the info coming. I have watched some you tube videos and plan on ordering a couple tins from pipesandcigars.com . If anyone has any recommendations on tobacco they preferred I'm all ears.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    The last time I tried to smoke a pipe I couldn't taste anything for two days.

My dad smoked Sir Walter Raleigh all the time. One of life's great disappointments was it tasted like s**t when I smoked it.
    :eh:

Daddyleroy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Ascension Parish
    Hi I'm a newb on this forum as it happens I smoke a pipe and have a YouTube channel that mostly deals with pipe smoking. Some tobacco reviews and a lot of just shootin the breeze. A good guy for helpful tips on YouTube is bluecollarpiper he is very knowledgable and does really good tobacco reviews. My channel is daddyleroy321 if you'd like to check it out. Good blends to start off with are carter hall, Prince Albert, half and half. Cornell and diehl's Blockade Runner when you get your technique down. Oh and orlik golden sliced. Pack the last two light and smoke slow to enjoy them. Pack them tight an puff fast and you will cook your toung that's why I say get your technique down. Smokers Pride vanilla cavendish is good of you want an aromatic it smells good and taste good and no matter what you do you can't make it bite you.

Unclee1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Good info. Thanks.
    Hi I'm a newb on this forum as it happens I smoke a pipe and have a YouTube channel that mostly deals with pipe smoking. Some tobacco reviews and a lot of just shootin the breeze. A good guy for helpful tips on YouTube is bluecollarpiper he is very knowledgable and does really good tobacco reviews. My channel is daddyleroy321 if you'd like to check it out. Good blends to start off with are carter hall, Prince Albert, half and half. Cornell and diehl's Blockade Runner when you get your technique down. Oh and orlik golden sliced. Pack the last two light and smoke slow to enjoy them. Pack them tight an puff fast and you will cook your toung that's why I say get your technique down. Smokers Pride vanilla cavendish is good of you want an aromatic it smells good and taste good and no matter what you do you can't make it bite you.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    If you are even in the Lafayette area, you need to check out Piper's Haven. Great store, and the owner, Rene Gerard, is the only Certified Master Tobacconist in Louisiana. They carry beaucoup types of pipes and smoking blends, and the most popuar is called Cajun Honey, a house blend and a great starter blend. If you call, Rene can arrange to have shipped to you anything you might want to try. I myself havent smoked a pipe in about 10 years but I do still have a Preben Holm freehand tht I'll never part with.

Piper's Haven 2480 West Congress Street Lafayette, LA 70506
    (337) 235-4757

Daddyleroy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Ascension Parish
    Welcome to bayoushooter and thanks for the advice. I've watched the Dagners on YouTube and a guy named cutlerylover. Thanks for the input.
    Thanks for the welcome. Yep I like the dagners a lot. Cutlery lover has good info on a number of subjects. You might also look up shadrak he's real entertaining. And check out sparkyspipes he carves some of the wildest pipes you'll ever see.

If you ever get to Baton Rouge go to Bayou Tobacco on Acadian Thruway they have some real good bulk blends. If you ever get in there try a blend called Red Stick. You'll be glad you did. Sadly they don't ship, you have to go to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom