Any way to check if a firearm is stolen?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andrew50300

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Uptown NO
    I'm bored at work (at a bar) and we've spent some time earlier tonight BSing about gun stuff. All of the people who know me know I regularly buy stuff and sell stuff when I see something I want or get bored of something, and a lot of the guns I buy are through private sales. The question of accidentally buying a stolen gun came up, and an hour or so of internet research wasn't very helpful. I understand bills of sale and I'm not asking about that. My specific question is regarding whether or not it is possible to for a non-LEO to have a serial number run before a sale to determine if the firearm has been registered as stolen. Google yielded a lot of conflicting information, not to mention a bunch of BS fear-mongering. Pretty much everything I was able to find came from posts in other forums. Some responses said its possible to call in the serial number to a law enforcement agency and they'll run it through an ATF/FBI database of stolen property. Some responses said the agencies won't do that without having physical possession of the gun in case it does turn up as stolen and has to be confiscated, because a scan of a stolen serial number will send a flag to whichever agency it is who has the database and they'll want to know the gun has been taken in. Some said FFLs can run the serial number through the same database. Some said FFLs can't. A couple places said for Florida there's a website/phone number to check a serial number to see if its been reported stolen, but nobody posted a web address or phone number, or whether or not it contained records from the whole country or just Florida. There were other various responses when other people posted similar questions, but you get the idea.

I realize that with a bill of sale and emails, internet forum posts, and phone records (which I keep for everything I buy and sell) that I should be in the clear legally if somehow something I buy later gets found out to be stolen. Its my understanding though that the gun will be taken from me and I'll most likely be out the money. If it turns out there is some way to check beforehand I'll still generally continue doing things the way I've been doing them anyway.

With all that being said I'm posting here, because I'm more annoyed at not being able to find an answer to my question than I am concerned about the actual answer itself (although I am still curious). There's enough other misinformation already online. Please don't respond with something you heard or something I "should" be able to do.

TL;DR: Is there any way for a non-LEO to have the serial number of a firearm being sold through private sale checked to see if it has been reported stolen, preferably before the sale?

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Do something to get pulled over in New Orleans and tell them you have a gun.They will run the numbers on it for free.

Thanks so much for that! What a great laugh to start off my morning. :)

And in all seriousness , I think an easy thing to do is get the serial number prior to purchase and call a local law enforcement office and have it run. Maybe they will do it. Of course if it comes up stolen, you may be forced to divulge who's got the firearm... Hopefully not a buddy or relative.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Some years ago I did call the Sheriff's office and asked just that: could they run a serial number and tell me if the gun I'm about to buy was stolen. The answer was "no". Not that they didn't want to, but they couldn't. They said there was no data base they can search. Sounded odd to me, but what do I know...:confused:

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Some years ago I did call the Sheriff's office and asked just that: could they run a serial number and tell me if the gun I'm about to buy was stolen. The answer was "no". Not that they didn't want to, but they couldn't. They said there was no data base they can search. Sounded odd to me, but what do I know...:confused:

They either lied to you or they are dumb

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    LEA's that are UCR Compliant are not allowed to do so without a valid reason which is included in the report. That does not mean PoDunk, LA. who is not UCR compliant is unable to run something for you.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    If deal is shady enough to make you question if it's stolen or not, best to stay away altogether.

Two weeks ago, I answered an ad(not on BS) to buy an FNH .45 for only $400 NIB with extra mags. He still had it when I contacted him. I asked him if he had papers and to prepare a bill of sale. He responded back that it had been sold.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    alpinehyperlite I had one of your co-workers run a pistol I found about probably 15 years ago. He told me if it came back stolen he had to take it. It wasn't reported stolen.

Andrew50300

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Uptown NO
    I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$. No matter what is said here, you still will have to call and ask them.

Like I said, I'm completely asking out of curiosity. I don't have anything I suspect to be stolen and I just started researching it because the topic came up last night. The bar has been pretty slow the last few nights and giving up drinking for Lent drags out my night considerably. I just figured that with all of the members here who are LEOs or people in the business somebody would have the answer I couldn't find.

hoghunter54

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Westlake,la.
    ATF National Tracing Center toll-free at (800) 788-7133. The ATF National Tracing Center only maintains records of firearms that are purchased from federally licensed gun dealers, manufacturers and importers.For national checks, please contact your local law enforcement agency.

A police officer stumbles onto a gun in the course of other duties, such as making a traffic stop, runs the serial number through the National Crime Information Center (NCIC–that’s the FBI) computer

To check for a stolen firearm,enter the serial and press GO from this website. http://www.hotgunz.com/
    Oh and sometimes it takes 2-3 times re-entering and pressing go.That server
    stays busy or is way to small for said traffic.Happy Trails

Top Bottom