Any Way to Deter Snakes?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JayKay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    Hello All,

I'm looking for recommendations on how to keep snakes out of my patio. I live in the city, so I'm not sure where they're coming from. My patio is mostly pavers with garden on all four sides. I do have a small pond and recently trimmed some Asian Jasmine ground cover from about 10" down to about 4", which I'm guessing started this situation. We've never seen snakes out there before, but have seen them daily since trimming the Jasmine. They're apparently reproducing since I've seen small ones 8-10" and a 3 footer two days in a row.

Best I can tell, they are Garter snakes and are dark green with yellowish or tan stripes.

My wife has a real snake phobia, but loves to garden and this is her little paradise which makes this a priority for me to resolve. Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I use this around my barn and my camp in the marsh.

web_dr-ts-snake-away.jpg

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    One of the ingredients in DR T's repellant is Naphthalene which is also the main ingredient in moth balls. Dr T's also has sulfur. I can see were both would work. The smell of Naphthalene is enough to keep me away too.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Learn to identify them. Most are harmless, when you know what the few poisonous ones look like , you won't have to be afraid of all snakes.
    Don't just kill em all, the garter, king and several others will keep the mice population in check...I would much prefer a garter snake to RATS.
    Non-poisonous snakes are not to be feared, they are beneficial to the environment. All that said ,I'm sure the wife isn't about to enroll in a snake I. D. course, sooo, snake repellent is nothing but Naphtha flakes, which is mothballs. Personally I hate the smell of Naphtha and would prefer the garter snakes.
    Gary, don't kill the snakes

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Napthalene is a carcinogen and will make you sick even with short exposures (heart rate increase & intestional issues are common). read the data sheet on it. Better to get a pellet gun. Actually, if you're sure they're just garter snakes pet stores (ie 50 fathoms on vets) will buy them. They probably even have someone that will come get them from you.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Definitely don't kill them! Remind the missus that these guys eat mice, rats, slugs, and cockroaches. They are completely harmless to humans, and MUCH more attractive than the pests they eat:

e_gartersnake.jpg

If push comes to shove, capture and relocate them. Just the other day, I helped someone shoo one of these out of their place. The snake returned, as it probably lived in their garden, so they relocated it, and put out mothballs for good measure. Now they are trying to deal with the mothball smell!

Personally, I'd rather the garter snakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom