Anybody good at identifying wood?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    So I bought a table today, I really only wanted it for the slab of wood that is of an unknown variety to me.

The guy running the place (who told me he was THE least knowledgeable person on the matter) said it has a veneer on it but I really don't think it does.

I got a few pics of the bottom side where the 4 "pipe legs" were mounted. In the first picture it appears the grain of the surface matches with that of the inside/core so I really want to say there is no veneer.

IMAG0523.jpg

IMAG0524.jpg

IMAG0525.jpg

IMAG0526.jpg

Sorry the pics are so bad it was in direct sunlight and it wouldn't allow the camera to focus.

Thanks ahead of time for any help, I know I am not giving you much to go off of.

Also I pick it up tomorrow so I can't get anymore pics until then.

Last edited:

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    Spanish Cedar or Mahogany, probably Mahogany being that its furniture. Spanish Cedar can ooze a substance that causes finish to bubble or get a rough texture to it (not like it wasn't sanded) which is why a lot of people don't like to use it.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    Mahogany would be my guess . Seems as though I read somewhere that Mahogany is lighter in the middle . Should be able to do a search on the net. Great looking wood .

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Mahogany would be my guess . Seems as though I read somewhere that Mahogany is lighter in the middle . Should be able to do a search on the net. Great looking wood .

I got it for a pretty good price I think $30 for 60"x36"x1.75".

I am going to be making a desk sort of inspired by this:

hure.jpg

I'll post pics when I'm done.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    Going with Mahogany as well.

Spanish Cedar is a beautiful and durable wood, though. Since sinker Cypress is so rare, many high-quality French Quarter doors and shutters are made with Spanish Cedar instead.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Going with Mahogany as well.

Spanish Cedar is a beautiful and durable wood, though. Since sinker Cypress is so rare, many high-quality French Quarter doors and shutters are made with Spanish Cedar instead.

Yes indeed. I certainly made more than my fair share of 'em. Sad thing is 90% of it gets painted. :curse:

Top Bottom