Anyone Feel Guilty Spending Money ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Curious if this is somewhat normal or I'm crazy (or crazier then I thought). I grew up pretty broke. Now that I make really good money I feel guilty about spending it. I feel this weird need to save it all. I'm 50 and single. My kids are grown and gone. I live in a cheap crappy apt and drive a 18 year old truck. I can afford to get a new vehicle and I better place but you guess it...i feel guilty. I'd like to go on a solo vacation, but always seem to find an excuse not to spend the cash. I'm starting to realize this is silly because I cant take it with me. I'd also add that I have zero debt and a good savings on top of nice salary. Anyone other nut jobs like me?
    I grew up broke, 40+ now, and still broke. What kind of work do you do? I'd like to make really good money, before I end up in a box under the interstate.

Bachelor degree and no debt...but never got good at selling myself or my skills. Louisiana has always kept me hungry, have had to move to make good $. I'd damn near give a kidney for $20hr work from home at this point. lol

And yes...guilty for spending money, and I really gave a lot of whatever I've ever had away and spent it chasing a future wife (fail).

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I spent this past Thursday and Friday getting a guy straightened out on some documentation he needs but couldn't afford so he could pursue better income for himself and his family.
    Cost me a pretty penny but it was fantastic to help someone who actually needed a hand.
    It was a joy spending that money on helping someone better their life.
    Imo nothing feels better than helping someone who needs help and will take the help you’re willing to give them and utilize it.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Imo nothing feels better than helping someone who needs help and will take the help you’re willing to give them and utilize it.
    Exactly, JStudz!
    The man's hungry (in more ways than one) and he's just been struggling. They were shocked by what I did for him. I'm certain my pretty penny will yield a MAJOR return for them!

V.Taltos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2023
    North Louisiana Swamps
    I have that same guilty feeling when buying something big.

What I did is to come up with a percentage of my income that I feel good about saving, and once the bills are paid, what's left I've come to view as "free money" so I don't feel bad spending". Or if I want to save for something specific, I'll put money away for just that. It's just mental tricks to make spending money 'ok'.

I do feel better having physical assets. Things I can see seems to make that guilty need to save less compulsive.

simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    Like said above, find a cause you feel good about. Something local like Anything Outdoors, or St. Jude.

Or at the very least, tithe to a Small church. (Mega churches don’t need money).

I often feel guilty on purchases that or just for me. Not guilty enough though.

JVarnell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2023
    Denham Springs
    Curious if this is somewhat normal or I'm crazy (or crazier then I thought). I grew up pretty broke. Now that I make really good money I feel guilty about spending it. I feel this weird need to save it all. I'm 50 and single. My kids are grown and gone. I live in a cheap crappy apt and drive a 18 year old truck. I can afford to get a new vehicle and I better place but you guess it...i feel guilty. I'd like to go on a solo vacation, but always seem to find an excuse not to spend the cash. I'm starting to realize this is silly because I cant take it with me. I'd also add that I have zero debt and a good savings on top of nice salary. Anyone other nut jobs like me?
    I grew up pretty poor as well. I feel bad spending sometimes as well. Jealous of debt free, maybe soon I can achieve as well. You only live once, enjoy while you can. Sounds as if you can swing a good bit, keep on!

Jafarticus.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2023
    Zachary
    Ha yeah. I wound up taking the low income path and doing something I enjoy. Working with guns and nfa stuff learning lots and not hating bed because it means a redo the next day. I did check a bunch stuff off the toy list before bailing on my career

duckboya5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2023
    St. Bernard Parish
    Well, you asked for an opinion. So, humbly here is mine. I think the key is to find a healthy balance between saving wisely, but not let money becoming your master. Now I'm not sure where your belief system stands on the topic of Christ, but I'd like to take the time to share mine if you would bear with me. Skipping over the entire story of how my wife and I became saved and became followers of Jesus Christ, and became active in our church, I'd like to tell you what we've done with some of our money and how rewarding it's been.
    1st, we are told to be good stewards of our finances, which are absolutely a gift from God...so I feel you've done that on the savings side and not spending frivolously. But, because you have the financial means to, what about using some of your money to do things for the kingdom? Matthew 6: 19-21 tells us

Treasures in Heaven​

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Look at verse 21. That is very important.

So my wife and I have decent jobs in healthcare. By no means are we rich, but we do ok. We have been able to send our children to good schools, live in a decent house, take a vacation most years, and generally have money for the things we NEED. Not always for what we WANT, but we need. Now here's where the blessing has come in. We have always been charitable people, but in the last several years as our walk with Christ has grown, we've seen we needed some real improvements in those areas. Now some may shrug this off as nonsense, and that's ok, but I can tell you the more generous we have been with our finances...for the right causes...the more blessings I have seen in our lives. I don't always mean financial blessings either. I'm referring to prayers answered, health restored, and wonderful things happening in our lives and the lives of our family. More so, the joy that we have received from helping others has far surpassed the joy we've received from just spending money on ourselves. Listen, it's ok to save money and do nice things for yourself. But do not let money become your master. God's word says that no man can serve two masters because he will love one and hate the other. His word also tells us "the love of money is the root of all evil." It's not having money, it's the love and coveting of it that leads you astray. This also makes us very selfish. (Trust me on this one, I was at one time the worst example of this)

You've gotten some great advice here from others about using some of that money to help others, or maybe help others who are less fortunate that you. I can tell you if your heart is where it needs to be, you will receive much joy from this. In the interest of time there is so much more I'd like to tell you, but it would take too long. I'll leave with you some examples of things we have chosen to do that have brought great joy into our lives. I would offer to you that generosity would bring great joy into your life as well.

1. We donate to our local church we attend regularly. As others have said, find a smaller bible believing church with good pastors that preach the true message of the gospel. Megachurches don't need your money, and some are even preaching a prosperity gospel which is a lie. I can show you directly from scripture that you WILL be rewarded for leading others to salvation.

2. We have always sponsored kids from Compassion International. A great organization and we love receiving the letters from the children and watching them grow up through the years. (You only think we have poverty in this country. Our homeless live better than most in 3rd world countries)

3. Donate time, and purchase resources for outreach ministry. This has been the most rewarding thing I've ever done in my life. It has opened up a pathway for me to be able to do prison ministry 2 nights a week and see people come to salvation through Christ who were on a pathway to destruction. I use some of my money to buy bibles and Christian literature to use in our prison ministry and also to sometimes purchase time on calling cards so the poorest of the prisoners can call a friend or family member or maybe purchase something on a commissary card. I also donate to Prison Fellowship when I can which is a fantastic organization. (As a side note, a lady we ministered to in the jail for a long time who struggled with drugs finally got out, has been in church ever since, and I was recently able to baptize her. That's a joy no gun will ever bring you) Listen, I own many guns in my collection from years back when that was one of my primary desires in life. And while I enjoy and use them, they've never given me the kind of happiness that I've gotten from that story I just shared with you.

4. Another one of my favorite's!! Sponsor a needy family at Thanksgiving and Christmas time. For the money it costs you to buy a poor family groceries to cook a holiday meal, or wrap a stack of presents for children who may never even receive a Christmas gift, you will receive joy that lasts you the whole year through!! And don't let Satan cloud your judgement with thoughts like "well they don't any money because....or the government already gives them....Just do it from the kindness of your heart and not for your own promotion and this is pleasing to your Father in heaven.

5. Volunteer your time and money to do anything worthwhile for local church organizations. The sky is the limit here! Recently my wife and I were asked to teach a bible based class on marriage. We were able to purchase the 15 dollar book for some of the poorer couples who 15 dollars might be a lot of money for. Our church is smaller and has limited resources...imagine what you can do with some of your resources?

6. We have sponsored poor children to be able to afford to go to bible summer camp when there was no other way.

7. Sponsor people who have given their time to go do ministry in 3rd world countries. They need airfare to get there, and in every example I have seen, they cover all their own expenses to go do this. it also often seems to me the people out there doing the most have the least. You can be a blessing to this cause.

8. St. Jude children's Hospital. A great place to send a donation to!!!

9. Buy bible's and Christian literature for your church...or a church...for new people coming to Christ who don't even own a bible. This is especially helpful for smaller churches in poor communities.

10. Help the homeless at random. the Lord will put on your heart who to help if you ask him to.

11. Donate your time or financial resources to a church's or local food pantry. My daughter and father-in-law both donate time at a food pantry and help feed the homeless and I can't tell you how much happiness this brings to them.

12. Wounded warrior project or other worthwhile projects that help veterans.

13. Just be generous and help others who need it. It has been my humble experience that if you go into prayer and say Lord I'd like to help someone less fortunate than myself who truly needs it...he will send the right opportunities your way.

These are just ideas. The things that you can do to help others in generosity are boundless!!!! As long as they are things you can do to advance what Christ has done for you, you can't help but be blessed by these acts of generosity. He gave us eternal life when we didn't deserve it!!! The least I can do is to try and help others.

I'm sorry guys if this started to sound like a sermon. That wasn't my intention. I was just trying to share with the original poster that hoarding money and never enjoying any of it or ever being generous with any of it will never bring any kind of lasting happiness. To recap, we certainly still enjoy doing things for ourselves, but we try to keep a healthy balance. I have noticed over the last several years this attitude of thanks and giving has certainly reduced my greed for material things in my own life. Truthfully, many of us probably have way more than we need....I know I do. So to the original poster, my advice would be, do not be a slave to your money. Manage it wisely and save some. Use some for yourself and enjoy it, after all your finances are a gift from Him, but also use some of what he has given you to bless others. If you rightly divide God's word he clearly gives us instructions in his word on these matters. I hope some of this advice blesses you!! I understand other people may not agree with this, and that's o.k. I just wanted to be able to share my personal experiences with you.

Last edited:

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    There are millions of leaches and dregs of society that have no problem spending your money you worked hard for only to be stolen by the gubment and given to them for doing nothing but voting for them. Spend your money before they do. I’m sure there is a model they use to see saving and investments going up means they can take more and we won’t feel it. Death tax balance due=0

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    You are not alone, I'm finally coming around but my wife thinks I'm crazy. I guess they'll have a spending spree after the old bastard finally croaks...

Casper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Lake Charles

Casper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Lake Charles
    You are not alone, I'm finally coming around but my wife thinks I'm crazy. I guess they'll have a spending spree after the old bastard finally croaks...
    Yeah…you’re not crazy Bro. I broke that cycle in my mid-forties. It wasn’t very healthy (my mindset to save money). You are correct, can’t take it with you. If your kids are grown and fairly well adjusted splurge on them. Grandkids? Well, you need to discuss that with the parents first. Otherwise…guns, ammo, food. You’re perfectly normal.

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah…you’re not crazy Bro. I broke that cycle in my mid-forties. It wasn’t very healthy (my mindset to save money). You are correct, can’t take it with you. If your kids are grown and fairly well adjusted splurge on them. Grandkids? Well, you need to discuss that with the parents first. Otherwise…guns, ammo, food. You’re perfectly normal.
    Don't forget TRAVEL, that's my aim for 2024 whether Mama Bear wants to come along or not.

Top Bottom