Anyone have feedback, firsthand on this product?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    For $200, can't be much, but I don't need it to run/do much. Really would want to keep a couple of deep cycle 12v batteries charged, to use for a few 12v lights to be used at night when the panels obviously would not be operable. Use batteries in the evening, charge them during the day. Or, any thoughts on what this setup would be capable of doing well? Or is it just too cheap to be of any reL use? New to all of this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-90599.html

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    It does utilize a voltage regulator and has a 3 amp output. Never used a solar panel to speak of but should do what you want. If I could afford it I would probably want a bit more wattage/amp output but that would depend on your planned needs. You could use LED lights at night that use less current and you should do fine.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    For $200, can't be much, but I don't need it to run/do much. Really would want to keep a couple of deep cycle 12v batteries charged, to use for a few 12v lights to be used at night when the panels obviously would not be operable. Use batteries in the evening, charge them during the day. Or, any thoughts on what this setup would be capable of doing well? Or is it just too cheap to be of any reL use? New to all of this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-90599.html

From all accounts I have read on it, it's good for hobby / entry level exposure to solar power. The voltage regulator is flimsy and the 12v lights are useless.

Once my shop is finish being built and I have some work stations and power ran to the building I was going to dabble in building my own solar panels by buying the cells off ebay.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Thanks for the feedback. Read many of the reviews as well, was hoping someone had actually made the purchase already and could give me the DL.
    G

tp56

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Boutte, Louisiana
    I bought this kit two years ago to charge 4 deep cycles for running lights at the hunting camp. It has been running continuously for about two years now and no problems to date. I was worried about leaving the voltage regulator running all summer in south Texas heat, but so far so good. The batteries run five 90watt fluorescent bulbs for several hours using an inverter. It makes it much more bearable to clean game without a generator running. I think they still go down to $150 from time to time, that's what I paid for it. Obviously you get what you pay for and it is not the highest quality stuff, but I am happy with the purchase.

Hope this helps

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There may be better quality panels out there for the money. Check into "marine" solar panels via Google. Also, there are panels used for foundation heating up north, that weather some serious crap and still work for similar funds; perhaps slightly a bit more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom