Anyone make a Rocket Stove?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    I have been researching on the web about them, and am looking to make one. Anybody else made one? I was wondering what to use for the insulation material.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I made one to go camping with the kids. We didnt insulate it at all. The outside gets hot but it cooks fine.

I thought about using great stuff foam. I dont think its flammable after it sets. I'm gunna have to try to find out.

Last edited:

matt99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Shreveport
    seems like sand would be the easiest. That, or pea gravel/lava rock...

I have thought of making one as a cheap easy stove that we could make at various campsites on the river

Roosty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    I'm getting the stuff together to make one...I'm gonna use Vermiculite to insulate...got it at the Feed and seed store.

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    Roosty, I have been looking around the last couple of days at materials. I have seen some cautions against the use of galvanized parts due to the toxic chemicals that are released as it gets hot. Does anybody know if this burns off and is not a problem after that? The black stove pipe has been suggested, but I can only find it in 6 and 8" diameters locally. Lowe's list stainless 4" on their web site, and I may go in and ask for that. As for the insulation, I have seen complaints about sand and/or ashes leaking out. The vermiculite has been one of the most mentioned, and I even saw someone who recommended cat litter.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I made one to go camping with the kids. We didnt insulate it at all. The outside gets hot but it cooks fine.

I thought about using great stuff foam. I dont think its flammable after it sets. I'm gunna have to try to find out.
    Oh yeah , it's flammable . Even their Fire Block product is combustible over 240deg.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I would stay away from any of the foam in a can ideas.. Stick with what you know.. You can get layers of aluminum even ..

I would also avoid anything galvanized, It may burn off or not even offgas, but do you want to be the test subject of how much time or offgas it takes to kill??

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    thanks themcfarland, it looks like most people go the cheap route by using galvanized. I will look closer at the alternatives (cheap is not always best). Stainless or black stove pipe may be the way to go.

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    Would that hold the heat in, and keep the outer can from getting too hot? I would guess that it is light weight. I want my can to be heavy on the bottom and overall light weight.

Melancon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Lafayette Area
    check out a "penny stove" or "alcohol stove" i made mine it cost pretty much nothing but 10 minutes of your day and maybe 4 bucks for the fuel. i can boil water in two minutes and cook pretty much anything on it. it weighs a few ounces. love mine. i keep the fuel in a small squirt bottle and a few extra pennies taped to the bottom of the stove. well worth a look and whatever you do DONT buy one online they sell for 19 bucks and more but will cost you next to nothing to make. i used two pedia-sure cans to make mine.

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    OK, as soon as I get a dry weekend, I am planning on making some out of lightweight concrete. 80/20 vermiculite and no crack concrete. I have the guts made out of 4 inch mailing tube wrapped in metal tape and will put them in 5 gal buckets. 1 week in a plastic bag for slow cure, and then 4 weeks of open air cure. I will let everyone know how it works after I have a test burn.

Slider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    check out a "penny stove" or "alcohol stove" i made mine it cost pretty much nothing but 10 minutes of your day and maybe 4 bucks for the fuel. i can boil water in two minutes and cook pretty much anything on it. it weighs a few ounces. love mine. i keep the fuel in a small squirt bottle and a few extra pennies taped to the bottom of the stove. well worth a look and whatever you do DONT buy one online they sell for 19 bucks and more but will cost you next to nothing to make. i used two pedia-sure cans to make mine.

Agreed, besides my esbit stove my other go to is a penny stove, or a variation of a swedish volcano stove made from a single coke can. Rolling boil of 16oz of faucet water in 5.5 min and only uses between an ounce or two of fuel. I carry 8oz in a flask and another 4 oz in a small squirt bottle as well. Takes some practice but they are cheap and work great. :D

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    Right now I have 3 with the 80/20 vermiculite and no crack concrete doing the slow cure. Will be removed from the plastic bag Sunday, to start a 4 week cure. I could not wait to see how the idea worked so I made one out of an old metal feeder bucket that was supposed to hold 50 lbs of corn. I did the cheap route and used galvanized pipe with packed vermiculite as an insulation material. We did a test burn this afternoon, and it worked great. Boiled a pan of water in about 6 minutes. It should be pretty easy to do a simmer by controlling how much you fuel you feed in to keep the coals going. Should not have any problem doing a pot of rice on it. Not much point in posting pics since you can see it all on You Tube. It took a really small amount of fuel to do this, so it looks like it works as well as they say.

4sooth

enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Just made one out of 4 inch square tube (11 gauge) with both a horizontal and 45 degree feed. I've only had the chance to use it for a few minutes due to having to go out of town until next week. I am going to make one with a single vertical feed and insulate the heat riser. The current one works fine but I can see how it would heat up quicker with an insulated heat riser and use less fuel. In the future I will make a removable grill/cooktop for more versatility.

simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    My son made them for a couple years out of gallon vegetable cans.....we used vermiculite.....couple we sold to guys here......
    we use them for cooking in the one quart "mini" jambalaya contest.
    The alcohol stove are great for a quick heat, but to cook a full jamb, you need to be able to simmer a while.......
    check out "deadwood" stoves and if you are interested check out "shoe box stove" on u-tube.....

there are tons of ideas, but I can't weld.
    I can tell you the biggest thing for us is reduced smoke and less wood......I enjoy cooking on them

Top Bottom