Anyone shoot .380?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaMan

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The .380 tends to be snappy in recoil because, traditionally, it utilized the blowback system--and was the most powerful cartridge to do so, generally speaking. In other words, it's essentially top-end within its design envelope. That's a decent hint. . . Once you make the gun heavy enough to dampen that snappy blowback action, you can make it a locked-breech design strong enough to use 9mmP, and paradoxically that tends to feel smoother than the weaker .380.

I owned 2 Beretta 84's and liked them, but my wife hated them as feeling too rough. She preferred steel-frame .38 snubs! The only .380 I've kept is a Remington 51, a semi-locked breech design last manufactured in 1927. FWIW, it weighs 21 ounces.

I join with others in believing that most .380's are going to be unpleasant for beginners.

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    My wife has an older S&W 36, for practice she prefers mid-range wadcutter loads. She does not like recoil and prefers revolvers over semi-autos. Women that I have loaned guns to for concealed carry intoduction seem to prefer smaller guns. My beretta bobcat is popular, also a 950. The tip up barrel makes loading easy. I carry daily in my front pocket, so I like a small light pistol. I usually carry a rhorbaugh r9 in a desantis nemisis. Recoil is always more in smaller guns, but is managable. A full size 380 should not be uncomfortable for new shooters. The strait blow back guns have more recoil than one with a locked breach. I think your approach is right. Let them try different sizes and calibers and make their own choice. Good Luck and good shooting. Dave

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    .380 typically generate loud reports, uncomfortable recoil, unacceptable accuracy, a non appealing power factor, light weight / low velocity ammo.

But if the .380, is your only weapon, shoot it.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    I say get the Ruger or a Kel-Tec and let them shoot it! You'll save most of them from buying an unwanted pistol.

That said I really like my 238.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I made the mistake of putting 9mm STI in new shooters hands, then they wanna know how much it, then they don't wanna touch it any longer. Now I start off with an M&P and work around the other pistols.

rob52

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    I guess I will be one of the few who don't see a problem with the 380. They seem to be fun to shoot and I don't see recoil as a problem (of course I'm a bit overweight). I carried mine for a short time but changed it so i could carry a gun gun with more plastic.
    My wife qualified with a 22lr but made a quick conversion to my 40 and now carries and shoots a 9 and has never complained about the recoil. It seems my fear of recoil was more than hers, and I never realistically expected her to carry a 22 any way.
    On the other hand, I donn't disagree with anyone else on this forum, just another opinion.

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I currently carry a tcp .380 taurus for the time being until I buy a holster for my xdsc 40. What I like about it is, that with the bulldog conceal case, It looks like im carrying a iphone or something on my side not a gun. The gun was originally for my gf but she did not like the recoil of it due to its small size.

TyGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    22lr for beginners, or anyone, is a great caliber. Cheap to shoot so you can put a LOT downrange.

380 is usually more expensive than 9mm, so, if you wanted centerfire then I'd say 9mm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom