"Appalachian Assault Rifle"/acceptable accuracy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    "Appalachian Assault Rifle"
    Found this today on another forum I visit. Decent article, I thought I would share. A couple of nice quotes to be found. It was written by Ed Harris:

A favorite of lawmen and deer slayers alike, .30-30 lever-guns defended our Home Front in two World Wars, fed a then-mostly rural nation and still have utility for sport and home protection.

My childhood wasn’t different from others of the Baby Boomer generation. Northern Virginia after World War II was an odd mix of The Walton’s and American Graffiti. The rural south still existed where we now call it “outside the beltway.” Our neighbor was an avid hunter who let us watch him butcher deer and feed scraps to his two German shorthaired pointers. When I turned 12, he showed me his deer rifle, a Winchester Model 94 in.30-30. Like any kid who watched TV cowboys of that era, I was enthralled!

Summer visits to our uncle’s West Virginia farm prolonged our sanity. The first high power rifle I ever shot was a .30-30 Winchester Model 1894 which had guarded coal trains from Nazi saboteurs, kept order during mine labor disputes, ended the suffering of sick or injured farm animals, and helped feed starving neighbors during the Great Depression.

It had been carried by a humble farmer, who never expected to see armed combat again after returning from the Pacific after WWII. But, once when deputized to serve on a sheriff’s posse he had to fire it in anger. Recalling the event invoked no pride, but only simple wisdom that acknowledged both good and evil forces exist in our world, which sometimes compel honorable men to make difficult choices necessary to protect our country and those whom we love. My elders taught me that our Second Amendment isn’t just about hunting, gun collecting and target shooting. Guns aren’t adult toys, but serious tools. Too many shooters today have forgotten that simple fact.

A few years ago a circa-1942 Winchester Model 94 carbine appeared at an estate sale, which brought back memories as if it were yesterday. So, I had to have it.

As a youngster my shooting mentors were WWII vets who were hunters and target shooters. Frank Marshall was the crusty ex-NCO contrarian who kept us in touch with reality. “While you guys argue that minute-of-angle crapola, did you see that buck over there?” The .30-30 Winchester was a favorite deer camp subject, because match shooting bolt-gunners who favored .30-‘06s were always quick to ballyhoo the "cowboy guns." Frank owned bolt guns too and shot them as well as any man alive, but remained a staunch defender of the lever-action in the deer woods. His salient arguments I remember are summarized:

The .30-30 is ubiquitous. Guns and ammo are sold everywhere. A rural lawman, farmer or forester could find .30-30 ammo at any crossroads grocery.

Lever guns remain popular in rural areas because they are cheap, plentiful, and familiar and they work. In remote regions a .30-30 is the only high-power rifle many people have heard of.

It Offers Practical Hunting Accuracy. Grouping of the average lever-action .30-30 is not spectacular, but is adequate for the utilitarian. Groups of 3” to 4” at 100 yards are normal with open sights. Peep sights knock another inch off of that.

Today’s 30-30 user should get a receiver sight because post-war rifles are already drilled and tapped for them. A peep sight is a useful improvement over traditional open sights, because it is faster in snap shooting and obstructs less of the target than open buckhorns. Use a threaded target aperture in bright light and simply unscrew the disk at twilight.

Frank liked the practical simplicity of iron sights and felt that mounting a scope on a levergun defeated the purpose of a handy, snap-shooting rifle. He stressed that any lever gun was a “short range” (meaning less than 200 yards in the Infantry sense) rifle. Open sights should be zeroed so that when using a “fine bead” (drawn down into the notch) factory loads strike 3 inches high at 100 yards. This provides a 150-yard, point-blank range, which defines the realistic limit for factory loads fired from a typical 3 minute-of-angle carbine. This is all most people need.

Combat Accurate, If You’re a Cowboy. As a law enforcement or home defense gun Frank compared his Winchester to an SKS, calling it his “Appalachian Assault Rifle.”

Lever guns have the advantage of a non-threatening, familiar appearance which “doesn’t scare the natives. But in 19th Century close quarter battle, they had tactical advantages, offering a useful magazine capacity and rapidity of fire compared to single-shot breechloaders and early European bolt-guns. The Ottoman cavalry and Pancho Villa agreed.

A bolt-rifle magazine cannot be topped off without taking it out of the fight (Unless it’s a Krag!), whereas you can shove more rounds through a lever-action loading gate whenever you need to. On the frontier and against bandits in dusty border towns a lever gun was “as simple as it ever got,” said Frank.

Purists Debate Winchester vs. Marlin If you must scope a lever gun the Marlin enables optics to be mounted low, over the bore, where they belong for snap-shooting. But in snow-shoe country when a rifle would not be protected in a saddle scabbard, hunters liked the Marlin’s solid top receiver and side ejection port because they kept rain, snow and tree debris out of the action. The Marlin breech-bolt, lever and ejector remove easily to enable cleaning from the breech, avoiding wearing out the muzzle crown, as happened to many Winchesters.

While it is true that the Winchester action is more exposed to the elements, Winchester fans like to point out that say its open-top makes it easier to inspect the chamber, pry out a stuck case, clear a jam or debris. Doing so in the Marlin action requires disassembly. No big deal say Marlin lovers. They do it every time they clean and can do so in the field with a Scout knife, when required.

“Winchesters should be issued to Neanderthals lacking the mechanical aptitude of an Army Private to maintain their field equipment,’” Frank said.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Scope vs. Iron Sights. Franked conceded that a scope was indeed a help for old guys with poor eyesight to reduce sighting errors, but he liked to quip:

“the only sighting error you’ve got is that extra head-space between your ears!… the buffalo were decimated, Indians wiped out and two World Wars fought with rifles that barely do 3 minutes of angle… What are you shooting at, cockroaches?”

Frank never had much faith in collimators and was highly skeptical of rifle scopes unless the maker’s name was German. Most zero problems seen during our club's annual "Sighting-In Days" were with neophytes using discount-store, variable-power scopes, in high see-through mounts which defeated the whole purpose of having a scope on a snap-shooting rifle, and never zeroed beyond “bore sighting.” Iron sights are:

“best for conscript troops and farm boys,” Frank always said. “Once zeroed you can forget the darned things until you get too old to see them.” (At age 60 Frank finally did scope his deer rifle – Leupold was a German, wasn’t he?).

Pre-WWII Square bolt, conventionally rifled Marlins. Soon after Winchester introduced the .30 Winchester Center-Fire (WCF), in 1896, Marlin, started offering its Model 1893 (previously available chambered for the .32-40 and .38-55), for the “new” .30-30 Marlin, thus avoiding use of the Winchester trademark, and following familiar black powder naming conventions, using the caliber and the smokeless powder charge in grains. About 900,000 Model 1893s were made between 1893 and 1935.

In 1936 manufacturing modernization resulted in the Model 36. Both the 1893 and Model 36 rifles have a square breech-bolt cross section and conventional 4-groove barrels with ten-inch twist of rifling, similar to Springfield and Krag rifles of their era. Older e 4-groove Marlins shoot cast bullets well, but you need to slug your barrel because groove diameters as large as .310-.311” are not unusual. The Models 1893 and 36 are entirely safe at normal .30-30 pressures, but are not suited for hotter wildcats some people try on the post-war Model 336 and Guide Guns.

Post-WWII Round Bolt 336s. After World War II Marlin again modernized its manufacturing process for lever-action rifles. The Model 336, introduced in 1948, has a bolt of round cross section which is machined from bar stock, and is hard chrome plated. The carrier was re-designed to produce a smoother-working action. The thicker receiver is heavier-walled and stronger than the Winchester. Microgroove barrels came into common use with the introduction of the Model 336 and remain so, except in the current production Marlin Cowboy rifles which have Ballard-type conventional rifling.
    Microgroove rifling was first used in the Pedersen Device for the M1903 Springfield rifle. It used a rifled chamber insert, which matched the rifling pitch of the Springfield barrel. Microgroove rifling enabled jacketed bullets to attain full velocity and normal gyroscopic stability without being damaged upon entering the normal rifle bore.

After World War II during development of the Model 336, Microgroove rifling was found well adapted to the then-new process of “button rifling” because it reduced tool driving force. Marlin exploited this technology to build a product identity around the Microgroove trademark.

While it is commonly believed that Microgroove barrels don’t shoot cast bullets as accurately as conventional rifling, they do fine with suitable loads and work best with hard, long-bodied bullets having a short bore-riding nose, large enough to properly fit in somewhat larger bore and groove diameters.

Heavy vs. light bullets. Frank said that New England old timers when he was a kid in the 1930s thought the .303 Savage with its 190-gr. bullet at about 1950 f.p.s. was a better deer killer than the lighter 150 or 160-gr. bullets used in the .30-30, which lacked penetration. The 170-gr. bullets came out later as a “solution to a non-existent problem… because hind end of a deer is to eat and not to shoot.”

Early pre-WWII .30-30 bullets had flimsy jackets and great gobs of exposed pure lead at the nose which deformed "if you stared too long at them." Fragile, fragmenting bullets were great law enforcement, anti-personnel loads, but tore up meat and wouldn’t exit either a man or a deer. Prior to about 1960, well before the term “patrol rifle” had been coined, a “car gun” among rural lawmen still meant a lever-action, rather than a military-style “black rifle.”

Controlled expansion bullets such as the Remington Core-Lokt and Winchester Power Point Bullet were post-war developments, but brought the .30-30 into its own as a game rifle. Modern 150-gr. loads shoot a little flatter in open country, and expand easier on deer. The 170-grain soft-points remain the bullet of choice in heavily-wooded country where the man with only one rifle may also be called upon to do take bear, elk or moose at short range.

The .30-30 isn’t recommended today for larger game than deer, but Frank always said “it always worked just fine for anybody who could get close, shoot well and didn’t have his head all confused from reading crap in gun magazines!”.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Other than my agenda (Grins) I think it's a good article.
    IIRC 4 MOA were the standards for the M1 (And for the M16 I believe)

Top Bottom