Appendix carry with weapon mounted light?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I normally carry a G 19 IWB appendix. Being from the Lafayette area, recent events have me thinking about adding a light. Is any of you guys carrying AIWB with a light? How feasible is it appendix? This would be with my 19 and a TLR1 or 3.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You are probably going to get recommendations for multiple holsters, but here is my take on the subject:

Appendix carry is good to go. Appendix carry with a light?... That's up to you. A light adds a lot of bulk and is usually wider than the gun. We're talking a TLR-1/3 on a G19, so those lights are definitely wider than the gun. You have to choose between the shorter TLR-3 or the longer TLR-1. The TLR-1 sticks out past a Glock 17, so it's going to add way more bulk than the TLR-3 (obviously).

That being said, I highly recommend that you carry a non-weapon mounted light. You don't want to be drawing your firearm on a target that you can't see, so you need to assess the situation. Identifying the threat does not mean draw your firearm and shine your 300 lumen light at it. You shouldn't be drawing, unless you have identified the threat and are prepared to use lethal force. You should already know that, but I'm just repeating it for the sake of anyone else reading.

As far as my holster recommendation:
    Raven Concealment has already announced that they are working on expanding the Eidolon line, which IMO, is the best AIWB Glock holster available for the money. However, Raven does not have an Eidolon light bearing holster currently, so the next best thing (my assumption) would be the G-Code Incog Shadow.

incog-shadow-7-682x383.1431971488.png

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    My EDC is an M&P9 with a Surefire Ultra. It just was way to uncomfortable carrying it appendix. I had to switch back to 5 o'clock. With the hot weather I have been starting to appendix carry wife's Glock 19. No light in a simple OTG holster. After low light training classes, I can honestly tell you that I feel more comfortable using a small reliable flashlight I keep in my pocket next to my pocket clip knife. (Jetbeam bc10) There are others out there that are just as compact, reliable, and bright. The gun light is more of a backup. Why? Take a Craig Douglas AMIS (Armed Movements in Structures) class and you will see why. Experience it and you'll become a believer.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I will just invest in a good micro flashlight with a clip and be diligent about carrying it. I have a TLR1 on my house G21. Considering going IWB with it did not seem like the most comfortable thing, but thought I would throw it out.

I will look at that Jetbeam bc 10. Any other suggestions on a good/small light??

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I will just invest in a good micro flashlight with a clip and be diligent about carrying it. I have a TLR1 on my house G21. Considering going IWB with it did not seem like the most comfortable thing, but thought I would throw it out.

I will look at that Jetbeam bc 10. Any other suggestions on a good/small light??

Jetbeam, Nitecore, and Olight make high quality lights at a reasonable cost.

Some other companies to look at (but I'm not wild about) are Surefire, Fenix, 4Sevens, Streamlight, and Zebralight.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    What pocket do y'all keep your flashlight in? I used to carry a Streamlight penlight (not too bright) every day, but I gave up on that about a year ago...:/

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    What pocket do y'all keep your flashlight in? I used to carry a Streamlight penlight (not too bright) every day, but I gave up on that about a year ago...:/

I draw with my right so I keep it clipped to my left pocket. It just makes sense to me but you should be good either one b/ if you have to draw, you can identify the threat so no immediate need for the light. If you need light, you can use either hand and just transition light if you decide there is a need to draw.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I find AIWB too uncomfortable, so I IWB at 3-5. I do, however carry non-subcompacts with WML's. Either my USPc/TLR-1s in a RM Holster, or a P30/X300U in a Bravo Concealment ACR-LB. (At least when the damn holster gets here)

Top Bottom