Apple Snail reporting to WLF

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    So in my random travels on shift today, I noticed tons of apple snail egg sacs on grasses in and around a portion of the retention pond/drainage area surrounding a local business property, and not commonly seeing them at locations close in the city limits, I looked up on the LA WLF site to see if there was a reporting line/site. Sure enough, they have a graphic of a brochure about them which has contact number and e-mail for an Aquatic Nuisance Species Coordinator, with a heading stating "For more information or to report a possible apple snail, contact," the hotline number even stating available 24 hours a day. I snapped a pic and attached it to an e-mail which included the location/address, and sent it off. Shortly after, I received a reply stating that WLF has no treatment program, and recommended hand removal of the snails or egg sacs. All this to get to what has me pondering, why the hell do they have a reporting hotline if they don't do a damn thing with the information? I already knew that it's recommended to knock the egg sacs into the water, but I figured that if they're advertising "report here," that there might be something a bit better than "good luck" as a response. Some chemical treatments can be used, apparently, but I guess they leave that up to someone else to figure out.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Government loves to create jobs and perpetuate problems. Hogs are used as an economic boost for LA WLF, not trying to solve the problem, just as an example. They make it expensive and risky to farm Tilapia, for another example, but they have a licensing process that never gets used.

They love desk jobs, and are not fans of people on the ground.

I guarantee that you have to have some license to remove them from public land, and if you did it as a commercial or nonprofit service...there may be an issue, they'd need a piece of that too....

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    “So in my random travels on shift today, I noticed tons of apple snail egg sacs “
    In my daily travels, on Hwy 90 & Hwy1 they are All Over! I’d like to pull over & knock them in the water but that in itself would be a full time job. Most people don’t seam to care. They are probably here to stay unless some CoonA$$ comes up with a recipe for Cajun Escargot.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Not sure how many natural predators the apple snail has, but I have heard there are very few. Where I work, we are surrounded by water (canals/ditches), and the raccoons eat the heck out of them. There are lots of piles of empty snail shells on the edge of the water where the raccoons bring them to eat the snail. We have on occasion seen several raccoons (not at the same time) eating the snails at the water's edge.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dangray
    Top Bottom