AR-15 Build advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • graymo2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    New Orleans/ Baton Rouge
    Today, I would like to order 2 lowers from EA. I just got my tax returns, and I would like to make the first step in doing a build of my own. I have never done this before, so I naturally, I have a few questions:

Do I contact the FFL I will transfer to first?
    Who is the cheapest/best transfer in Baton Rouge?(shameless plugs welcome)
    Any other pointers?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I used Wayne Moorhead in Denham springs. Nice guy and only $20 for the trasfer. Essential Arms has his FFL on file from my purchases from them.

wmoorhead@cox.net , I can't seem to find his number right now, but he usually responds to emails same day

Last edited:

electronicwiz

Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Brusly
    I usually contact my FFL just to have them expecting it, all though I don't believe it's necessary. They'll call you when it comes in. I think Larry over at Louisiana Gun and Reloading Supply will do the transfer for $20. I just ordered 2 lowers from E.A. and got them in three days.

Danable

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    lots of people on this page have done builds and can give you great advice. if you want to actually see something being built there are a number of youtube videos that you can watch. may help you a little more than just reading. good luck

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Larry seems to be the cheapest with the least amount of hassle. I had a gun transferred to him and he even stayed open a little late for me to get there.

Let us know what questions you have. I built two lowers in the last year.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    La. Gun & Reloading has some bare lowers in stock along with some parts kits. He also has a complete lower in stock. Call them at 225-291-2942, see what he can do for you. He will do transfers for $20 (American).

Bryan :)

graymo2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    New Orleans/ Baton Rouge
    I just got off the phone with LA Gun and Reloading.
    They are moving and cannot receive anything until the 5th of March. Does anyone have contact info to rockmup? Does he run a shop?

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    low shelf will accept (very expensive) full auto fire control parts. It would cost @$13-14k for a RDIAS, $7k for a RLL , so high shelf/ low shelf is not a big deal to most people. The only difference is the lower is machined "deeper" behind the selector to allow those parts to fit. New production full auto parts are a no-no, in a new (post-86) lower

Hope that helps for now, Ill post a more detailed reply when I get home to my PC. Fwiw, I'd get a low shelf, just I have the option in the future.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Few more questions:

Can someone explain RDIAS ?
    What's the advantage/disadvantage of buying the parts kit or paired upper from EA?
    RDIAS is registered drop in auto sear, they are expensive,in some cases more than a genuine colt m16, but can be swapped into different AR's in case one lower gets damaged beyond repair

So if I buy the lowshelf, I could make it full-auto at a later date?
    Yes and No, you would have to have a Rdiad, or RLL registered prior to may 1986

As in, make it semi-auto now and if I want, full auto later? Would I need a class III to buy low shelf now?
    Low shelf lowers are perfectly legal to own, through a standard 4473 transfer

Top Bottom