AR-15 build for a newbie

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djl7780

Glock Connoisseur
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Prairieville
    I been kicking around the ideas of building me an AR-15.. Couple of questions, do you have to have the "lower" shipped to an FFL? Any "have to have mods" or parts I need to know about?
    thanks

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    there is a similar thread about AR accessories on the board.

I am in prairieville and plan on doing some of my first builds in the hopefully near future. Check out the Cav Aid thread for some good prices on the unique Cavalry Arms lowers with free ffl transfer from B&B in slidell. Stripped lowers can also be had at LA Gun and Reloading on Siegen. They also do FFL transfers for $15 if you buy a lower elsewhere.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm surprised this thread has been active for almost an hour and no AR haters have jumped in and said that ARs are assembled not built. I'm sure one will be around soon to say it though.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Never done one of those, but dont see how it would be any different other than not having to attach a stock:confused: I'll research it a bit before i give you a definite answer

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    How about the CAV arms polymer lower, do you think you can help me with that?

For another 75.00 you can get a complete lower. They want 65 for a parts kit anyway. The cheapest your going to find a lower kit is about 45. And yes, they assemble just like any other.

One thing about them though is the mag well. It is wider than normal. This allows you to use .45 acp grease gun mags with a .45 upper and a couple of others if I remember right

Cool vid http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2165917770864957703&q=ar45

Last edited:

WhiteRabbit22

US Navy, Belle Chasse LA.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2008
    Marrero LA.
    I'm surprised this thread has been active for almost an hour and no AR haters have jumped in and said that ARs are assembled not built. I'm sure one will be around soon to say it though.

I agree if you're building a 5.56/.223 with a pre-assembled upper. if you're building the upper from scratch or if it's a 9mm or 45ACP, that's a completely different story.

Top Bottom