AR-15 for 3gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    You'll want one without the front sight block and a free float tube as most everyone is going to the 1-4x(or higher) power scopes. Honestly, if your not going to do a lot I would just grab a used rifle, dremel off the fsb and slap on cheap free float tube. You can always rebarrel and add doodads later.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    I really would not rely on a mass produced kit gun for 3 gun competition. Delton and some of the other kit companies, buy their parts and components at huge bulk rates and the quality sometimes suffer. Remember with the Delton kit, you still need to add another $125 to $150 to it for the stripped lower and FFL fees. I think a well made midlength M4 style rifle such as the Spikes Tactical ST-15 for $809.00 is the way to go (order it with no FSB block and A3 Flat top). They use all of the best quality components in their rifles and are known to go the distance on long matches or carbine training classes. This rifle will cost you a couple of dollars more but will be well worth it considering the abuse you will put the rifle under, especially some of the regional or national 3 day matches that we shoot.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st15-midlength-le-carbine-p-443.html

Last edited:

Zero.40

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    PLaquemine, LA
    very nice guns. but i do not want to spend that much on another gun that i might not shoot that much. i am only going to shoot some 3 gun and maybe one big match to see how it is but i am sticking with my open for now. :)

Jesse Tischauser

The Mayor
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2010
    Guthrie, OK
    You can shoot just about anything in 3 gun. Just run a few 1000 rounds through it in practice or local matches to make sure its ready to go before you travel the country to shoot a major match and spend 1000's on fees, travel, and ammo. As far as Del-Ton goes you can probably read as much good or bad as you like about any of the AR15 manufacturers depending on what forum or website you visit. I personally have not bought any of their stuff but I wouldn't be scared to do so if the price was right. DSA makes some cheap rifles too. You might also look at some of DPMS or Bushmasters entry level stuff.

Last edited:

RobFMJ

Texan Transplant
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Houma, LA
    If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a stripped lower and just built from scratch. Its so easy to do and you get exactly what you want, nothing else. If I had done that, I wouldn't be looking to spend almost as much as I did on the rifle in the first place to replace parts I compromised on at the time because I thought the upper was a good deal.

Rainier Arms, Bravo Company and ADCO are your friends :D

RobFMJ

Texan Transplant
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Houma, LA
    thats whats i was thinking as well. i am not all about spending more money on an ar-15 than what my open gun is worth lol.

Hah, I hear ya. If one is willing to price shop and be patient, its entirely possible to put a rifle together around a great barrel and trigger for under $1k (less if you keep an eye out for used components).

I put together an AR with a High Standard lower and 1-9" twist HBAR Rock River upper back in 2006 (before I knew better). Through the years of shooting other people's rifles and my own, I've decided I want a lighter profile, faster twist barrel, free float handguard, different stock, and a decent trigger. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that it would be just as economical to sell it and start a new build as it would to just upgrade my current rifle

Aggieddad02

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    You can definitely build the AR you want and do it without cutting corners if you watch what you put into the gun. As with anything what you spend on a component is what you get. I have attached a thread of my son's recent build for 3 gun but he has about $1.200.00 in the gun but we shot it today and without any sight adjustments it was printing dead n at 25 yards . I recently built a 6.9 Rem spc for about $800.00 with all qaulity components. Find someone close to you that knows about this and they will help.

http://www.boomershooter.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2005-quentin-defense-build-pics/

Top Bottom