AR-15 for LEO Son

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My son would like an AR-15 to carry in his squad car and has asked for one for Christmas. The best deal I have found is a Delton DT-15 for $535. It has no rear sight so that would be an additional $30 to $45. He makes about $1,000 a month gross that barely covers his apartment rent and very few extras. I help him out with money when I can.
    Is that the best I can do on a good price? I have no experience building such things and don't know if I can save anything over a prebuilt rifle.
    The guy I talked to showed me an Eotech red dot(?) that showed up on the iron sights and said that it would cowitness if sighted in properly in case the batteries died. That was an additional $415.
    What do you think?
    Would a Delton with iron sights be adequate or should I sell one of my guns and go for the package?

MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    This Bushmaster Patrolman would be a nice one for the money.
    4031253310995607fa8789f7c7b34b71.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    You need to make sure to check on the departments policy on rifles and what kind they are allowed to carry. I dont know of any departments that allow off-brand weapons away from the bigger names, nor allow any scratch built setups.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Needs to check and see what his department's policy on rifles is, most of the ones I know of specify certain brands. Cheapest of the established brands that may meet policy would be DPMS or some of the Bushmasters maybe. There was a post here in the last few days from someone about finding a DPMS in the 500 range, don't remember the exact specs.

Good iron (or polymer, these days it seems) sights are essential, as is a light. Optics are great, but will run you some $ for quality. Aimpoint, Eotech, or Trijicon are what I see on the department approved list typically.

edit: LOL at the same post as alpinhyperlite

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'd look at Palmetto State Armory for complete mid length uppers and complete lowers. The FN barrels might edge out the Delton's in quality. They have Black Friday previews right now. They have optics too.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Even if somehow his policy doesn't care what he carries, I'd stick with a complete brand name gun. That bushmaster in Post 2 is a heckuva deal, looks like it's a removable carry handle so he can add optics later if he wanted.

Bargain built guns are great for the range, but for gun that has a higher probability than most of getting carried into a deadly force encounter, I want guaranteed brand name components put together and inspected by the pros.

Out of all of my AR's, the only one that is a full factory build is the one I carry at work.

Also if he isn't former military with some good rifle training, I'd invest in a class if his department will not be providing training and qualification.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    $1000 a month gross sucks. All you full time LEO need WAY more $$$ for the job you do. As said, he may have to stick to approved brands. You may be able to save $$ on a more inexpensive lower and spend more on a better upper.

Vas te faire encule Isis. Nous sommes Unis

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the replies. I will be asking him more questions. I hope he never needs an AR but would like for him to have one anyway.
    Yes, $1000 sucks and I have broached the subject of him finding a higher paying position with another department but he likes where he is and trusts the people that he works with. He is still my son but is no longer my boy so I can't tell him what to do anymore. I can only suggest.

bsoileau24

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Around ville platte
    I know this will be over budget but I saw a sale for a colt 6920 oem 1 for under 700. The oem 1 and 2 will not come with any stock, trigger guard, handguard. These are all thing that you can find for cheap because alot of people change factory funiture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Bkjsdc09

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Hammond
    Also something to consider is that, some departments do not allow optics on a "patrol" rifle. So you could save money on an optic and put it towards a higher quality rifle and iron sights.

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    Hey Tbone, what did you end up settling on? I agree that the Bushmaster for $499 (if that deal is still available) is the way to go. Another thought / suggestion is to look into BudsGunShop.com or Baton Rouge Police Supply for LEO-only deals. Generally the LEO deals are pretty enticing.

Thank your son on our behalf.

Joe

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well. I ended up giving him money to help him move out of one apartment into a better place. His choice. Since he barely makes enough to pay rent and buy food, he decided that he needed the help to move more and the AR would have to wait a while. I can always loan him my Windham Weaponry although I have put a scope on that for pigs. I still have the carrying handle with the rear peep so I could put that back on.

Top Bottom