AR-15 Shorty Upper

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daddy-O

Pally
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    Wherever the party is
    Hey all. Next week, I'll be picking up an AR. Once I have the specific details of the rifle (e.g., lengths, serial number, et al.), I'm going to put a Form 1 in the works via eForms. I can't think of a good reason not to do so and I can think of at least one very good reason to do it now (41F).

Granted, I'll have plenty of months wait time before I can acquire the parts to SBR it, but I figured I'd toss this out for discussion: which shorty upper in 5.56mm? Any you'd recommend and, conversely, I should avoid? The PSA 8½" one and the DPMS 7" Kitty Kat both look interesting, though the latter is a little pricy, and I'd imagine there are several options these days.

Thanks much. :)

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    If your going to suppress it, you may want look at the minimum length of barrel set by the manufacturer for any warranty issues.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    May want to get the suppressor before the new changes go into effect also. I would probably do that before buying the shorty upper. With wait times going up astronomically you will have plenty of time to save for the upper while you wait for the stamps.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    10" barrel may be a good idea for 5.56. Most .30 cal cans are rated down to this length. If you want to do 7.5" your selection of cans will be a little more limited.

I have the 7.5" dpms kittykat barrel in my sbr...super compact. Hard to beat if you want firepower in a compact platform. But i also have an Omega thats only rated down to 10" barrels.....so time to build a new upper!

HtLrCNG.jpg

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Last edited:

G_S

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Shreveport
    11.5" is very popular for 5.56 / 223 because of the increased dwell time.

On a side not there is only alittle difference in muzzle velocity between 11.5 & 10.5

Take that above with a large grain of salt.
    Because my 5.56 SBR is 8.5" and it does great.
    If you are going do a SBR, do a SBR, because by the time you add a suppressor ( depending on which one you go with & suppressor mount ) will be well over 17inches, Kind of defeats purpose of doing a SBR. { 223 / 5.56 not being hearing safe }
    Go short or go home, is my theory.
    And that is what I did.
    mine is 13 1/2 with suppressor

The picture was taken while the suppressor was still in Jail.
    I love the brass flying through the air.

And yes, I know my hand slipped when the photo was takin
    And yes, I know I should I wear eye-pro when shooting.

Last edited:

Daddy-O

Pally
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    Wherever the party is
    After doing a bit of research, including running a can in the future, and taking measurements for the Form 1, I decided on going with a 10½" barrel. While they are sold out now, the PSA 10½" looks interesting:

ecbTqw6.jpg

Anyone have experience with this outfit? Any other recommendations for an upper of that type? Thanks!

notasheeple

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    After doing a bit of research, including running a can in the future, and taking measurements for the Form 1, I decided on going with a 10½" barrel. While they are sold out now, the PSA 10½" looks interesting:

ecbTqw6.jpg

Anyone have experience with this outfit? Any other recommendations for an upper of that type? Thanks!

I have some of their products. All function well.

The finish is very "matte", as in a dry black. (The same as my Essential Arms lowers.)

There is no forge markings on the uppers I have, so I cannot tell their origin.

But when on sale the prices are good and the products work well.

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    10" barrel may be a good idea for 5.56. Most .30 cal cans are rated down to this length. If you want to do 7.5" your selection of cans will be a little more limited.

I have the 7.5" dpms kittykat barrel in my sbr...super compact. Hard to beat if you want firepower in a compact platform. But i also have an Omega thats only rated down to 10" barrels.....so time to build a new upper!

HtLrCNG.jpg

I got curious and looked up "dpms kittykat." None had the particular stock you have. What is brand and model of the exact stock. I like it.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    It is a PDW style stock. I am not sure of the exact manufacturer but if you Google it you will see many like it. pretty close to the same design.

DSpangler

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    NOLA

ecbTqw6.jpg

I have a 7.5" upper from Andro Corp Industries out of Florida. It was around the same price point of PSA - look on ARFCOM for reviews and coupon codes, etc. Customer service was top notch. I can say that it has been 100% reliable and has eaten everything from lacquer coated cheap stuff to Gold Dots without complaints.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Here is a good article on SBRs, velocity, and barrel length. As several have stated above, 10.5" should be a min for 5.56.
    5.56 requires high velocity to create a substantial wound channel, and reducing barrel length seriously impairs that aspect. 300 BO is much more tolerable on shortening the barrel, concerning velocity. That 7" 5.56x45mm kittycat might be visually appealing, but it's "de-clawed" considerably. There is a reason why they have a huge muzzle blast.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/07/jim-barrett/comparing-sbr-calibers-5-56-223-versus-300-blk/

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I got curious and looked up "dpms kittykat." None had the particular stock you have. What is brand and model of the exact stock. I like it.

Nea arms. It was one of the first on the market. I got it for a good deal...It took some trial and error to get funtionality down. There are probably a good bit better options on the market now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom