AR-7 as primary .22 rifle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saqqara

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Slidell, LA
    I lost my stainless Ruger 10/22 in a robbery. Loved it, but can't see spending that much on a gun this time around, with most of my shooting years behind me. Also I'd like to try something different. In the current climate of .22 ammo being hard to find and much more expensive, it's hard to justify a .22 as expensive as a deer rifle or a good shotgun.

Wanted an AR-7 since I was a kid. I love things that pack light and pack small. It's a fetish of mine. This would be cool to pack on motorcycle rides and boat trips. I think the form factor could see this thing being taken along and used more often.

But:

I worry about the peep sights with my aging eyes. Can mount a scope but that sort of defeats the ability to stow it away.

It seems like there are mixed reports on the gun's accuracy, but I'm sure nobody would expect it to perform like a scoped up 10/22 or a Remington 597, which has caught my interest because of its good value and it wonderful stock, it's a pleasure to hold.

Finally, the AR7 is not going to be as good a trainer as it would be less similar in form to a scoped up deer rifle than the Remington 597.

I guess the advantage goes to the 597.

What do you think? Is the AR-7 a solid user friendly shooter suitable to be a primary .22 for someone with a minimalist spirit?

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    In a word (okay two) they suck. Especially now that the 10-22 takedown is on the market, there is no real reason for them to exist anymore.

The one I had would not hold zero and was spotty in terms of reliability.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    images
    Here's an interesting one for you, a 22/410 combo folder;
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/88305

Or this one;
    http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2677

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2677/images#

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I picked up an AR-7 a while back from another member. One of those guns I had always wanted. I had heard all of the horror stories. Jamomatics, inaccurate, etc.
    The one I ended up with was bright silver. I took it out. I shot a box of ammo with no jams. Accuracy was decent but not match. Minute of squirrel for sure freehand. No problems with either mag. Mine is a Henry but before they added the picatinny.
    Bottom line: no complaints, it does what it was meant to do. The peep sights work but are again not match. Somewhat adjustable but not click micrometer. My only complaint was the color (silver) which I rattle canned into tan. Eventually I'll make it true camo.

I have a factory 10/22. I'll probably sell that one and keep the AR-7. It does everything that I need a .22 for. Except shooting matches, and with ammo so scarce I don't see me doing that anytime soon...

Saqqara

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Slidell, LA
    I need to go to Academy and take a long look down those peep sights. That is what worries me most, as my close up vision decays. Maybe playing with the thing in the store will help me get it out of my system.

Yeah, I don't tend to think it is junk, but I also think for the same money one can get a better gun, if the stow-ability isn't an issue. I also don't think it's entirely eclipsed by the Ruger Takedown, which is bulkier, heavier, and in another income tax bracket. The AR-7 outlived the Marlin Papoose.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    In a word (okay two) they suck. Especially now that the 10-22 takedown is on the market, there is no real reason for them to exist anymore.

I had this discussion with another member here a while ago. I started with your opinion, that they sucked and were jam-o-matics. much to my suprise, this is not the case any longer. Henry is making a quality version now and they are supposed to be good to go. They also weigh less than a 10/22 takedown.

Personally I'll still go with the 10/22 because I understand how they work. Also, the AR-7 is butt ugly, no matter how reliable they are now.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    The older Charter Arms version is what I learned to shoot with. It functioned perfectly with the factory mags. The after market mags were terrible though.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The AR-7 is the lightest decent, commonly found, semiauto takedown on the market.That's what drew me. That buttstock is ugly... You would think someone would make a slimmer version that still had the storage compartment. There's room, especially if you give up on the floating idea.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Vermiform, You stated it wasnt a good choice cause its butt ugly? My wife is butt ugly but has worked good for 15 years now. lol Seriously, yes, they are an ugly rifle. But they are very accurate and dependable. Kinda like the wife. I know I can count on it

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Not to mention to get that 10/22 to be a tack driver you have to drop close to a grand on it... I wouldn't say there's a lot of intrinsic accuracy difference between a factory 10/22 and an AR-7.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    The AR-7 is the lightest decent, commonly found, semiauto takedown on the market.That's what drew me. That buttstock is ugly... You would think someone would make a slimmer version that still had the storage compartment. There's room, especially if you give up on the floating idea.

Good points. I bet they could still keep it buoyant if they slimmed it down some.

Vermiform, You stated it wasnt a good choice cause its butt ugly? My wife is butt ugly but has worked good for 15 years now. lol Seriously, yes, they are an ugly rifle. But they are very accurate and dependable. Kinda like the wife. I know I can count on it

Diet Coke burning my nose now, thanks...:rofl:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    From a quick Google search, it looks like the 10-22 is $50 bucks more (new) than a AR-7. Prior to this thread, I had never even heard of an AR-7. I have put quite a many rounds through a 10-22 Takedown though, and I loved it. No flaws at all and it was accurate enough to hit stuff I was aiming at. As for how it compares for competition...well...do you really bring a 10-22 takedown to a competition and hope to do better than those who have multi thousand dollar guns?

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I had this discussion with another member here a while ago. I started with your opinion, that they sucked and were jam-o-matics. much to my suprise, this is not the case any longer. Henry is making a quality version now and they are supposed to be good to go. They also weigh less than a 10/22 takedown.

Personally I'll still go with the 10/22 because I understand how they work. Also, the AR-7 is butt ugly, no matter how reliable they are now.

Had to drop some knowledge on your punk ass!

Saqqara

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Slidell, LA
    Yes I've seen that Cabela's sale coming; a bit far for me to drive to save $20 though. I wonder if Academy would price match.

But I think I've decided I'm getting the Remington 597, for the same price. I don't think the AR-7 is junk, but I do think I'll be able to shoot better with the 597's scope and excellent stock. My close up vision is rapidly decaying.

Thanks guys.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    I remember posting on this site and asking if an AR7 was worth it a long time ago.

eventually I found a .22 revolver/auto pistol to be the more reliable,accurate, portable option over the AR7.

Saqqara

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Slidell, LA
    Hi my-rifle, I'm in Slidell. They stock them at Academy so I intend to take a good look at the sights there. But I've pretty much decided that I'm getting the Remington 597. It goes hand in hand with my decision to get a deer rifle with a scope.

Top Bottom