AR Newbie 1st build help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I have been doing a lot of reading in the AR15 FAQs, this issue of Guns & Ammo "Book of the AR-15", online sources, and I am leaning in four directions:

Rock River, Armalite, Bushmaster or Stag.

Seems to me, I can build a RRA for $835, or mix and match uppers and lowers and get one from about $850 to $1100.

I am sure you can't go wrong with any of those, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of any one particular thing about any of those brands that make it more SHTF appropriate (able to get dirtier w/o malfunction, availability of replacement parts, etc).

Here is a link to my current notes. It attempts to color code my different options (do I go complete rifle, complete upper and separate complete lower, build from kit, etc):

My First AR Build

If anyone has any input, I appreciate it.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    If you decide to buy a complete rifle, You are going to get a lot of good feedback for all 4 of your choices, especially RRA. I dont own a rock river, but i do have an armalite, and it is an excellent rifle. I also have a mutt E.A lower/M&A parts CAR 16" rifle that is an excellent rifle, as well as a Garrison MFG 9MM kit on order,I have heard good stuff about them, but i will let you know when I get it in my possession.

If you do decide to build one yourself. I would suggest picking a stripped lower that you like for whatever reason, instead of a complete lower half, and order a kit. You will save a few bucks, and also have a much greater understanding of the inner workings of your new rifle. This place has quite a few choices http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9&zenid=b994c600ba644c2a9dfc52d459012b6d

J.T. has some really good kits also, worth your time to check it out. http://jtdistributing.com/store/

Noticed the brownells mags on your link, Go with http://www.44MAG.com, great people, great prices.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    you can do a stag for about 750, JKiser and pete at legal transfers on ar15.com both have stag kits for about 6-650 that is everything but a stripped lower. 16" chrome lined M4profile with 6pos stock, flat top w/ARMS flip rear sight. I'm eyeballing them for my first build, but those cmmg midlength uppers keep catching my eye.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    In a SHTF situation I would op for the .308. Armalite now offers 25 round mags so you are only giving up 5 rounds. I think they run around $75 each they were just released within the past few weeks.

In a SHTF situation I would want a forward assist which doesnt come on the Armalite. Forward assist is 6 one way and a half dozen another, some feel they only cause more problems.

I dont know what kind of warranties come with kits, hopefully someone here can let me know.

Impact guns has some good prices
    http://www.impactguns.com/store/armalite_m15.html

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Upon further reflection, I have decided to get both (in the ARFcom tradition). I will probably not be able to afford the second one for awhile, but that takes the pressure off, as far as deciding which one is best. I think I am going to get a Stag .223 stripped lower ($120!!) and a kit to go with it. I am thinking 16" chrome lined, A2 w/ 6pos poly stock) I would like a Surefire quadrail someday, but I'll probably just get a regular rail to get me started. Then, next time I can talk myself into blowing my bill money, maybe RRA will FINALLY be shipping thier LAR-8 (.308 w/ forward assist that takes FAL mags) with chrome lined barrels, and I can get that for my second AR. Thanks for all your input, guys! Anyone gonna come laugh at me while I try to put this kit together w/ zero experience or training? Maybe I'll do a webcast.

:rofl:

Top Bottom