AR Optics Help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • All Star

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Baton Rouge, La
    I have very limited knowledge on optics, so please feel free to enlighten me on anything I need to know.
    Rock River AR, want to either get a Aimpoint PRO, or ACOG.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Totally different in my opinion. I much prefer the variable optics in place of the ACOG. Burris MTAC at minimum. But at ACOG prices there are better choices. For a plain red dot the Aimpoint is great.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    If you get a chance to get over to the shop, you won't find a larger selection of what you're looking for. Fixed power, variable, and rds.

We can go over pros and cons of different systems and make sure you make an informed decision.

Sport Optics

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Optics are highly personal preference, but it would be a lot easier to narrow down the best options if we knew the intended use of the rifle, and budget.

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    Optics are highly personal preference, but it would be a lot easier to narrow down the best options if we knew the intended use of the rifle, and budget.

right on the nose.
    proper optics for specific application. my 3-Gun rifle has a variable power scope 1-4x Vortex PST. my MP 15-22 has a cheap 4x scope (with a 4-12x scope waiting for 1" rings or mount). My 300 blackout pistol had an AimPoint PRO (i have an ACOG waiting to be mounted on a rifle, not sure which rifle it'll be).

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Between the two, I would go pro, just Bc its half the price, and will get the job done. If you want magnification, then I would go for a variable scope like a Trijicon accupoint. The weight of an acog can get pretty hefty along with the price tag

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    On my 5.56 rifle tone used for 3-gun if & when we ever get to play is a Vortex 1-4. On my 9mm AR is a red-dot, mostly for the fun of it. A lot will depend on it's use. I like low power scopes for most uses, just gives you a lot of options. If you give me a few days notice, I can bring both to the store so you can see the difference. Good glass isn't cheap, be ready to spend the money on the right sight.

Bryan
    Louisiana Gun
    225-389-6077

All Star

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Baton Rouge, La
    Thanks for all the answers. It will be for shooting short range, mostly at the range or plinking around on private property shooting cans ad stuff under 75 yards. I want to get into hog shooting. No budget, I will spend what's neccessary to get a great scope.
    It's going on either my rock river full size AR, or I'll throw my eotech on that gun, and replace my SBR with the Acog.
    I'm open to anything.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Thanks for all the answers. It will be for shooting short range, mostly at the range or plinking around on private property shooting cans ad stuff under 75 yards. I want to get into hog shooting. No budget, I will spend what's neccessary to get a great scope.
    It's going on either my rock river full size AR, or I'll throw my eotech on that gun, and replace my SBR with the Acog.
    I'm open to anything.

Given your use it doesn't sound like you need anything magnified, but I know it's nice to have options. Seems like the red dot would serve you better on the SBR, and a variable 1-4x or 1-6x would be a good fit for the full length rifle. Match the optic to the weapon and all that. I wouldn't recommend an ACOG on either of those. Or any other rifle ever for that matter.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I've got really nice glass for 3gun, a 1-4 NF and a 1-6 Vortex Razor, love both! But I've been thinking about trying a acog, great field of view tough as nails and no switch lever to forget to throw!! Lol
    An acog with 45* sights can have faster transitions near to far targets

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom