AR Trigger

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ItchyFinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    i have a factory dpms AR chambered in 6.8spc, and noticed that the trigger pull is long, i put a 2lb timney trigger kit in my browning a-bolt and it is great so i am kind of leaning towards timney for my AR but they are kind of pricey, i will eventually be looking at fitting it with a new barrel or upper

my questions

1) which trigger(brand) would you guys recommend for my "hog hunting gun"?

2) i think i would prefer a nonadjustable 3-4lb single stage trigger, but not sure the benefits of anything else?

3) is there anything else to consider when looking for a new trigger?

i am green when it comes to ARs but i am mechanically inclined enough to figure out the installation, or i know enough to know when i don't know enough just in case i can't handle it

TIA

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Anything you get to reduce the pull length is going to be adjustable... and not cheap. Pull power on the other hand is a different story.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Agree with JCcypress. Have two SSA-E and love them. They are two stage triggers but easy to pull straight through when needed for a quick shot. Have read about several guys adding JP spring kits to their ALG ACT triggers with good results.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    ALG is the one I have in my latest build, bought it at Ferrara Firearms. It's very nice, a cleaner, lighter mil-spec style. Worth the upgrade IMO. My favorite is my RRA 2-stage, but the ALG is a nice budget option.

Installation is pretty easy, but I bet if you are in Baton Rouge, Ferrara would show you how to do it or do it for you if you asked nice.

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    I just put a Velocity drop in trigger in my match .308 AR and it is great. Only cost $130 .... info about the maker. (They are $150 from the website, but I picked up at another store for $125 - $130 shipped).

http://www.velocitytriggers.com/shop.php

Velocity Triggers is based in Phoenix, AZ. Tom Vehr, owner and operator, has over 30 years of experience designing, manufacturing, and assembling triggers.

Tom spent 14 years at Timney Triggers running all aspects of production including design, set-up, tooling, testing, and scheduling.

In 1995 Knight Rifles hired Tom to direct their trigger manufacturing. Over the course of 13 years at Knight Rifles, Tom produced close to 500,000 trigger assemblies as well as other parts.

In 2008 Tom started Vehr Manufacturing, parent company to Velocity Triggers. Vehr Manufacturing continues to produce triggers for Knight Rifles along with doing other job shop work.

Last edited:

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    If you can make it by the shop you can play with some triggers.

We have Geissele SSA....SSAE....SUPER V as well as ALG and we just ordered CMC this week. Come on by and try before you buy. Bring your rifle to take advantage of our free install.

ItchyFinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    thanks for all the help guys, now i have more options to investigate

Chris i wish i was close to you, i would definitely stop in, but i am in the lafayette area

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Interstate Guns is worth the drive, Itchy. Good people, too!

As to triggers, I tried multiple ALG QMS triggers, and they honestly felt the same to me as "normal" quality mil-spec triggers from Daniel Defense and Rainier Arms and Talon Arms that had 5-600 rounds on them. The ALG actually felt worse than the Rainier trigger, when it was new. It smoothed up to be similar to it.

That said, on a new build for a new shooter---or even an experienced shooter, I think the ALG QMS would be just fine. I think that unless it's a DMR type rifle, the "nicer" triggers are just because people want something "nice", 99% of the time.

That said, I love my SSA and Super V triggers. They are "nice". But they don't make me a better shooter.

ItchyFinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    one more thing, which pin are they referring to when they mention small/large pin, i would imagine the firing pin? how do i go about figuring out which i have? again just a basic dpms 6.8

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom