AR trouble.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTuck1911

Greenhorn
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    I have shot around 5,000+ rounds out of my Bushmaster since I bought it and am just now running into problems. Recently on a prairie dog hunt in Wyoming I shot somewhere close to 500 rounds out of it. Near the end of the 500 mark, it started having problems with cycling. The rifle would eject a round, but wouldn't cycle another one forward. After cleaning it, It was hard to fully close the receivers and put the rear pin back in. I shot it afterwards to make sure it was o.k. and it shot the first magazine without problems. After putting another magazine in, it resumed the non-cycling problems. I'm no expert on AR-style guns, but I don't consider myself to be ignorant on them either. I think the problem is going to be in the bolt, or gas system but I don't know. Any enlightenment on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    At that round count I'd replace the buffer spring and bolt carrier group. At least check the gas key on the bolt for damage and make sure the screws haven't backed out, since Bushmaster doesn't stake them. You can test the rings on the bolt by extending it forward in the carrier and placing it boltface down on a flat surface. The bolt should remain extended and support the weight of the carrier.

A new gas tube probably wouldn't hurt either.

TTuck1911

Greenhorn
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Buffer and spring are in excellent condition, bolt sucks and the gas tube is a few hundred rounds old. thanks for the help though.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    First things first, get a chamber brush and clean the chamber, very well. Maybe even plug up the chamber and pour powder solvent into the chamber and let it sit overnight, the scrub again.

Next disassemble the bolt from the carrier and make sure you dont have a buildup of carbon in the back of the hole for the bolt. Also make sure that the gas key is not built up with carbon. A drill bit will clean it out.

Next I would check the gas tube as it sticks out from the inside of the upper reciever. These wear and get shorter. compare it to another gas tube on an known functioning rifle, with calipers even, if you have some.

Also, disasseble the trigger assembly and make sure there is not an accumulation of trash or a blown primer under the trigger or hammer.

TTuck1911

Greenhorn
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Thanks for everyone's input on the question, but it turned out just to be an aftermarket gas block that didn't line up properly. It is still functioning perfectly without any replacement of parts, the original gas block has been re-installed.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Thanks for everyone's input on the question, but it turned out just to be an aftermarket gas block that didn't line up properly. It is still functioning perfectly without any replacement of parts, the original gas block has been re-installed.

Well leaving out details like that doesn't exactly help us diagnose it. ;)

Aftermarket gas blocks (especially improperly installed) are one of the most common causes of gas related issues I've seen. I've personally sworn off clamp-on style gas blocks entirely.

Top Bottom