Are BS members about to get younger?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    That’s a huge win.
    If the Left had a choice of lowering the drinking age or the handgun purchasing age to 18, I wonder which they would drink. I mean choose…

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Younger than who?? As some of us "old geezzers" here hardly any new members are older than some of us are. But it is maybe time for a changing of the guard. Seriously I get it about the debate of 18 yr old or 21yr old being the legal age to purchase and own firearms /ammo . Back in the day at the age of 18 i was allowed to join the US Army and go off overseas to serve in a "hostile fire zone"(Korean DMZ 1969-1970) while being shot at by small arms harasment fire but were not allowed to purchase legal cigaretts / booze / etc. upon return to the states .. In 1982 as a local police officer several of us had to go purchase practice ammo for another active duty officer because he was not 21 yrs old and could not legally purchase it himself. Old enough to serve and put our lives on the line but not able to be considered old enough to do certain activities. Sorry if I went off on a tangent and not trying to hijack the intent of the thread. There are some of legal ? age and or older that should not allowed to purchase / own firearms / ammo but that is another matter. ........... drill sgt.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Younger than who?? As some of us "old geezzers" here hardly any new members are older than some of us are. But it is maybe time for a changing of the guard. Seriously I get it about the debate of 18 yr old or 21yr old being the legal age to purchase and own firearms /ammo . Back in the day at the age of 18 i was allowed to join the US Army and go off overseas to serve in a "hostile fire zone"(Korean DMZ 1969-1970) while being shot at by small arms harasment fire but were not allowed to purchase legal cigaretts / booze / etc. upon return to the states .. In 1982 as a local police officer several of us had to go purchase practice ammo for another active duty officer because he was not 21 yrs old and could not legally purchase it himself. Old enough to serve and put our lives on the line but not able to be considered old enough to do certain activities. Sorry if I went off on a tangent and not trying to hijack the intent of the thread. There are some of legal ? age and or older that should not allowed to purchase / own firearms / ammo but that is another matter. ........... drill sgt.

I get it man. 9/11/2001, I was 17yrs old and had just graduated Navy bootcamp. ( You can enlist nowadays at 17 with parental consent.) Once I got past my A-School i was pretty much thrown to the wolves. But I couldn't buy a damn beer... Good thing I had some really cool senior enlisted personnel. lol...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    That’s a huge win.
    If the Left had a choice of lowering the drinking age or the handgun purchasing age to 18, I wonder which they would drink. I mean choose…

That brings up a question... does this decision set a precedent that would apply to the drinking age?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

I get it man. 9/11/2001, I was 17yrs old and had just graduated Navy bootcamp. ( You can enlist nowadays at 17 with parental consent.) Once I got past my A-School i was pretty much thrown to the wolves. But I couldn't buy a damn beer... Good thing I had some really cool senior enlisted personnel. lol...
    Am I missing something? I turned 18 in the early 80’s and it was legal for me to buy both alcohol and ammunition at that age. I remember the legal drinking age being increased to 21 in the 90’s but I’m not sure about ammo.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    That brings up a question... does this decision set a precedent that would apply to the drinking age?

I’m sure it does not, as they are two completely different subjects, but it should definitely make people think. I keep stating the obvious, if 18 is old enough to join the military and be trained to kill and risk life and limb for this country, then 18 should be the legal age for everything else on the books. Everything. The government wants to pick and choose and have way too much control in people’s lives.

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    I’m sure it does not, as they are two completely different subjects, but it should definitely make people think. I keep stating the obvious, if 18 is old enough to join the military and be trained to kill and risk life and limb for this country, then 18 should be the legal age for everything else on the books. Everything. The government wants to pick and choose and have way too much control in people’s lives.
    I totally agree with your post.

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    I thought it was 18 for long guns, 21 for handguns/nfa items. Or at least was when I was 18-21. I also thought the premise was they wanted to legally purchase handguns and carry for sd reasons which a long gun isn't suited for.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I remember back early '70 s when you had to be 21 and had to sign for ammo that was of pistol caliber . I purchased a 44 mag rifle in 71 and could not buy ammo for it until '76.

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Am I missing something? I turned 18 in the early 80’s and it was legal for me to buy both alcohol and ammunition at that age. I remember the legal drinking age being increased to 21 in the 90’s but I’m not sure about ammo.

it was always 21 to be able to legally purchase alcohol but not long guns or ammo for me.
    however growing up in the Nola area I vividly remember walking in to various gas stations or corner stores to buy cases of beer as young as 16 years old. It wasn’t legal but it happened all the time. That probably plays a factor in why I don’t care much for drinking nowadays. I’d say that and the 5 years in the navy did it for me lol.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Just for the sake of discussion...
    1968 - Gun Control Act
    1984 - National Minimum Drinking Age Act

Apparently there was a loophole that was closed in the mid 90's in Louisiana where individuals under 21 were buying alcohol. The year 1968 was when the GCA set the minimum age for the purchase of firearms.

I'd be okay with 18 year old individuals to purchase alcohol and purchase handguns and handgun ammunition.

GearFondler

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    Pearl River, LA
    Apparently there was a loophole that was closed in the mid 90's in Louisiana where individuals under 21 were buying alcohol.

Under the previous law one need only be 18 to enter a bar but the drinking age was still 21... But once you're inside the bar it was very difficult for the bar to regulate who was actually under 21, if they even cared enough to try. Hand stamps and ID checks at the bar were minimally effective to say the least. It was the Feds that finally stepped in and said that they would withhold federal highway funds if Louisiana continued to refuse to change their law.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Under the previous law one need only be 18 to enter a bar but the drinking age was still 21... But once you're inside the bar it was very difficult for the bar to regulate who was actually under 21, if they even cared enough to try. Hand stamps and ID checks at the bar were minimally effective to say the least. It was the Feds that finally stepped in and said that they would withhold federal highway funds if Louisiana continued to refuse to change their law.

Can confirm that bars still don’t care.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Actually, July 17, 1984 the legal drinking age changed from 18 to 21 years. I was mistaken when I said the early 90’s. It didn’t affect me so it wasn’t exactly a milestone in my life. I turned 18 at the end of my senior year in high school and was able to legally purchase alcohol and walk into a bar and buy a drink at that time. There was no loophole.
    Thanks to MADD (Mother’s against drunk driving) and their first real win.

https://www.lowcostinterlock.com/ig...when-did-the-legal-drinking-age-change-to-21/

Last edited:

GearFondler

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    Pearl River, LA
    Actually, July 17, 1984 the legal drinking age changed from 18 to 21 years. I was mistaken when I said the early 90’s. It didn’t affect me so it wasn’t exactly a milestone in my life. I turned 18 at the end of my senior year in high school and was able to legally purchase alcohol and walk into a bar and buy a drink at that time. There was no loophole.
    Thanks to MADD (Mother’s against drunk driving) and their first real win.

https://www.lowcostinterlock.com/ig...when-did-the-legal-drinking-age-change-to-21/
    Read what I wrote... The legal drinking age was 21 but it was still legal to enter a bar at 18. You were allowed to be in the bar at 18 but the bar was not legally allowed to sell you alcohol. It put the onus on the bars to enforce the law which many of them refrained from worrying about.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Read what I wrote... The legal drinking age was 21 but it was still legal to enter a bar at 18. You were allowed to be in the bar at 18 but the bar was not legally allowed to sell you alcohol. It put the onus on the bars to enforce the law which many of them refrained from worrying about.
    After you read what I wrote Jr.
    This was not the case before July 17, 1984, when the legal drinking age was in fact, 18 years old and an 18 year old could indeed both buy and be sold alcohol legally, in a bar or in a store, at a table or out the door. You could buy it in a restaurant, you could buy it from a debutant, you could drink it in a house, you could drink it with a mouse.

As far as the mention of a loophole, if alcohol was sold to someone under the legal drinking age it was by way of ignoring or breaking the law, not a loophole.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Minimum_Drinking_Age_Act

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

You are correct.

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/03/23/us/louisiana-stands-alone-on-drinking-at-18.html

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I may have set an early age record as I was spending nights in a bar before age 1 being taken care of by the barmaids in the 1940's while my Father gambled most of the night.

Top Bottom